Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
From Daniel Manning   to Madieu Williams  the trend of stripping the game of its physical nature from the defense towards the offense continues.

They set out on rightfully protecting defenseless players from being hit in the head, but what is happening in reality is the NFL is continuing to create an imbalanced rule book favoring and protecting the offensive players in play and safety. Want further evidence, note the cut block Stevie Johnson  was legally, within the NFL rule book, able to cripple Eric Berry with.

Someplace along the line, the NFL concocted that the NFL fanbase needs more scoring (I blame fantasy football here) and have decided to utilize player safety to further tilt to rule book towards the offensive production verses the defensive minded play.

If the objective was really player safety cut blocks in space would be illegal, crack back blocks would be uniformly flagged and offensive players would be garnering more fines for wicked hits placed upon defensive players hit from outside their vision parameters.

But other than upon the line with extreme hands to the face or headgear, to see a fine or flag upon the offense for intensity of a hit is extremely rare. But you can watch almost any game and see an offensive player launch themselves at full speed into a block, sometimes with the defender focused elsewhere upon the field. And they are applauded for effort, while the defenders more and more are uniformly being penalized and fined for the same activity while playing within the rules and the ever changing "emphasis" on defenseless offensive players.

This is a game built on brute physicality.. either change the game in a equal manner upon the individual units of the game in the name of safety.. or admit that you are utilizing the notion of safety to enhance the performance of the offensive units of the game for the additional revenue generated via of some misplaced sense of excitement for those that don't have the attention span to enjoy a defensive minded contest.

For years it has been an unfair rule set to protect the "glory boys" at the QB spot, however the NFL has decided apparently it needs even more scoring and have extended that concept to all offensive players under the veil of safety.

Needless to say, color me not a fan of the direction.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
mi_keys
12 years ago

From Daniel Manning   to Madieu Williams  the trend of stripping the game of its physical nature from the defense towards the offense continues.

They set out on rightfully protecting defenseless players from being hit in the head, but what is happening in reality is the NFL is continuing to create an imbalanced rule book favoring and protecting the offensive players in play and safety. Want further evidence, note the cut block Stevie Johnson  was legally, within the NFL rule book, able to cripple Eric Berry with.

Someplace along the line, the NFL concocted that the NFL fanbase needs more scoring (I blame fantasy football here) and have decided to utilize player safety to further tilt to rule book towards the offensive production verses the defensive minded play.

If the objective was really player safety cut blocks in space would be illegal, crack back blocks would be uniformly flagged and offensive players would be garnering more fines for wicked hits placed upon defensive players hit from outside their vision parameters.

But other than upon the line with extreme hands to the face or headgear, to see a fine or flag upon the offense for intensity of a hit is extremely rare. But you can watch almost any game and see an offensive player launch themselves at full speed into a block, sometimes with the defender focused elsewhere upon the field. And they are applauded for effort, while the defenders more and more are uniformly being penalized and fined for the same activity while playing within the rules and the ever changing "emphasis" on defenseless offensive players.

This is a game built on brute physicality.. either change the game in a equal manner upon the individual units of the game in the name of safety.. or admit that you are utilizing the notion of safety to enhance the performance of the offensive units of the game for the additional revenue generated via of some misplaced sense of excitement for those that don't have the attention span to enjoy a defensive minded contest.

For years it has been an unfair rule set to protect the "glory boys" at the QB spot, however the NFL has decided apparently it needs even more scoring and have extended that concept to all offensive players under the veil of safety.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

=d> Well said. I miss the days when laying out a receiver coming over the middle was not only legal, but lauded. Compare some of the things that used to happen in front of the ref without them so much as batting an eye to what happens today, it sickens me to see the fouls called now. Look at that call that extended the game sealing drive for the Redskins. It's farcical.
Born and bred a cheesehead
beast
12 years ago
I agree with most of what you said, about how unfair it is. But some smaller things I disagree with or question.

The NFL need of more scoring seemed to come before fantasy football (or before I knew of fantasy football) so I'm not sure it's right to blame fantasy football for something that was happening before it was around... but I agree it's not helping and making the need for it feel worse.

I think some (not all) cut blocks and crack back blocks (depending how you define them) should be legal... and I think it might be hard to define what's good and what's not. Though they have with the QBs (which I'm not happy about) so I'm sure they could do it...

As for as hit from outside their vision parameters... I think that's unfair because a player could turn their head, shoulders or hips and act like it was outside their vision area...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I think some (not all) cut blocks and crack back blocks (depending how you define them) should be legal... and I think it might be hard to define what's good and what's not. Though they have with the QBs (which I'm not happy about) so I'm sure they could do it...

As for as hit from outside their vision parameters... I think that's unfair because a player could turn their head, shoulders or hips and act like it was outside their vision area...

Originally Posted by: beast 

How is this different from the subjective rules placed on the defenders? That is the point.. you are closing the window of what is except-able for the defenders.. but leaving the offensive players like Ward to be head hunters?

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Formo
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I was JUST having this convo with some co-workers the other day. I told them that I admit the high scoring/passing yardage games we've seen the first week of 2011 NFL football is entertaining.. but noted that I'm a HUGE defense guy and I can't help but to blame the rules for all those records that were broken last week.

I guess all these rules have done so far is make one (me especially) respect good defensive performances that much more.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
I miss the days before the "5 yard" illegal contact nonsense, when DBs could play bump-and-run until the ball was in the air.

IMO we'd have to worry a lot less about "launching into defenseless receivers" and such if they allowed true "coverage" again.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I miss the days before the "5 yard" illegal contact nonsense, when DBs could play bump-and-run until the ball was in the air.

IMO we'd have to worry a lot less about "launching into defenseless receivers" and such if they allowed true "coverage" again.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Bumping until the ball is in the air puts the defense a big disadvantage. Just let them duke it out, best man gets the ball. Deal with it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (7h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.