12 years ago
Quinn Johnson is looking for work.

You can always run Kuhn.
blank
rabidgopher04
12 years ago

I know it is conventional wisdom to attribute injuries to the random vagaries of (bad) luck, but the Packers have been beset with so many injuries the past few years that I can't help but wondering about the strength and conditioning staff. A lot of the trendy, newfangled methods of athletic training are gradually being shown not to be as effective at preparing bodies to be resilient to the rigors of contact sports as the more old-fashioned emphasis on raw strength, power and agility. I remember the Packers brought in a new strength coach a few years ago (can't remember his name) who was known for his supposedly innovative training modalities, which de-emphasized strength and concentrated more on high reps, and then the team had a spate of hamstring injuries the following two seasons. That coach is no longer with the team. I'd be curious to see what kind of training program the Packers have been on the past couple of seasons. People like Clay Matthews sure do seem to have some muscular imbalances in their legs.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Wasn't that Rock Gullickson (now with the Rams)?
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Yes, I believe that was the man. Look how effective his techniques have been for the Rams.

Football players need to be strong, fast, and tough. Flexibility is also a plus (see: Ryan, Matt). Endurance is of far lower importance in the game of football, but that was the primary focus of Gullickson's training style.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Yes, I believe that was the man. Look how effective his techniques have been for the Rams.

Football players need to be strong, fast, and tough. Flexibility is also a plus (see: Ryan, Matt). Endurance is of far lower importance in the game of football, but that was the primary focus of Gullickson's training style.

I'd rather see Matt Ryan. I fail to understand why you bring up Rock Gullickson with the Rams considering all the injuries they have. I think I mistakenly read your comment as Rock was better than what we have now?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
No, I was saying that Gullickson seems to leave a trail of broken bodies wherever he goes. In my opinion, his methods are counterproductive and dangerous.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

No, I was saying that Gullickson seems to leave a trail of broken bodies wherever he goes. In my opinion, his methods are counterproductive and dangerous.

Gotcha. I would be surprised to learn that these professionals are not training their athletes injury prevention techniques. Then again, some people openly root for the Minnesota Vikings so nothing should surprise me.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
There is an awful lot of bullshit out there in the physical training field these days. People find the oldies-but-goodies boring, especially since they are damn hard work, so they tend to go for all the latest fads. Plus it's a lot more lucrative to charge for some new exercise variant you've invented yourself, which is why we have so many glitzy trickets and programs out there these days. (The ShakeWeight? Squats on a medicine ball . . . WTF?)

My university has perhaps the oldest exercise physiology program in the country, so a lot of exercise research takes place here. Interestingly, they keep finding out that the old techniques are the best. The old strongmen of the late 19th and early 20th centuries knew what they were doing. There is just no substitute for the compound lifts -- squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, dips, etc. -- for building strong, durable human beings.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

There is an awful lot of bullshit out there in the physical training field these days. People find the oldies-but-goodies boring, especially since they are damn hard work, so they tend to go for all the latest fads. Plus it's a lot more lucrative to charge for some new exercise variant you've invented yourself, which is why we have so many glitzy trickets and programs out there these days. (The ShakeWeight? Squats on a medicine ball . . . WTF?)

My university has perhaps the oldest exercise physiology program in the country, so a lot of exercise research takes place here. Interestingly, they keep finding out that the old techniques are the best. The old strongmen of the late 19th and early 20th centuries knew what they were doing. There is just no substitute for the compound lifts -- squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, dips, etc. -- for building strong, durable human beings.

I thought that was Rock Gullickson's approach. When he came to Green Bay, I heard a lot about how he emphasized the use of free weights rather than machines. It was supposed to be kind of a throwback program. In Gullickson's first two years--2006 and 2007--there were relatively few injuries, and Gullickson won an award for Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year. Then in 2008, they had a bunch of injuries and Gullickson got canned along with several other assistant coaches. The guy who replaced him, Dave Redding, has a similar approach, based on using a lot of free weights.

From what you wrote, I can see how teams might be convinced to use training programs that are less than ideal, although I still tend to lean more toward luck as the biggest factor. Also, I wonder if some GM's are more willing to roll the dice on players who are somewhat injury prone.

blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Some GM's are more than willing to roll the dice on injury prone players and potential trouble makers. Usually they do that to get them over the top as they feel the reward outweighs the risk.

I think the turf played on holds value in injuries as well. Probably more so than I think.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Hopefully Green can come back 100% healthy next year. I had high hopes for him to be ready and help us with our Super Bowl run late in the year. Now I guess we won't have seen much of him at all. Maybe Neal can do that-I keep hoping. We could use his pass rush even more.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (21h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.