evad04
12 years ago
ESPN.com LINK 

Thursday, February 2, 2012
Packers promote Tom Clements
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers didn't have to look far to find their new offensive coordinator, promoting quarterbacks coach Tom Clements to replace Joe Philbin.
Clements has coached the Packers' quarterbacks since 2006, Mike McCarthy's first year in Green Bay. Philbin left to become the Miami Dolphins' head coach last month.
NFC North blog

"Tom has been an integral part of our success and our staff, making it an obvious decision to promote him to offensive coordinator," McCarthy said in a statement. "He has earned this opportunity and we look forward to continued offensive success in 2012."
The offensive-minded McCarthy calls his own plays, but relies on his offensive coordinator to plan during the week and help make adjustments during games.
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has gone out of his way to credit Clements for helping his development. Clements' name was linked to open jobs in the NFL and college football in recent months.
"I'm happy that it's happened and I'm happy for Joe that he's a head coach, and I'm glad I was able to step into his place," Clements said. "I've been a coordinator before, only for a few years. I've always wanted to get back to doing that and I'm thankful that it's here in Green Bay."

Before coming to Green Bay, Clements was the Buffalo Bills' offensive coordinator from 2004-05.
Clements has 19 seasons of coaching experience, including 15 in the NFL.

He was a three-year starter at quarterback for Notre Dame, guiding the Irish to a national championship in 1973. He played 12 seasons in the Canadian Football League.

Clements earned a law degree from Notre Dame in 1986 and practiced law for five years before beginning his coaching career as an assistant with the Irish.

Clements has been quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2001-03), Kansas City Chiefs (2000) and New Orleans Saints (1997-99).
Under Clements, Rodgers has passed 17,037 yards in his first four seasons as a starter.
In 2011, Rodgers set the NFL single-season record for passer rating (122.5) and set team records with 45 touchdown passes, 4,643 yards passing and a 68.3 completion percentage.

Clements has also helped develop backup Matt Flynn, who is expected to draw interest from other teams looking for a new starter in the offseason.

"I think it's a great opportunity," Clements said. "We have a young team. We've had success over the past couple of years. We still have a lot of room to grow and I'm happy to be a part of it."

If I didn't title/conform the article correctly, my apologies. It's freakin' 4 in the morning where I am. I saw this story on ESPN.com and I checked here to see if it was posted.

I think this is definitely good news. Tom Clements is a fully capable dude. Glad to hear that he has been upgraded/retained.

Thoughts?
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
yooperfan
12 years ago
I would have been bummed if Clements left.
I think he is a good young coach with a bright future, I'm happy that he remains in Green Bay for now at least.
I also hope we can keep Kevin Greene in the fold for the forseeable future as well. His best coaching days are still ahead of him.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
58 years old is young? Damn I'm just a baby! :)

As has been said already, not a big surprise, but glad it was done.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I too am happy to see him promoted. I believe one of, if not the most, important attributes a coach can have to to be able to develop QBs. We have two of them in Clements and McCarthy. Hope we can get another on for our QB coach.

Congratulations to Clements.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
12 years ago

I would have been bummed if Clements left.
I think he is a good young coach with a bright future, I'm happy that he remains in Green Bay for now at least.
I also hope we can keep Kevin Greene in the fold for the forseeable future as well. His best coaching days are still ahead of him.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I wouldn't mind Dom leaving in 2013 and Greene replacing him. I think Dom's better days are behind him and Greene's on the rise.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Packers_Finland
12 years ago

I wouldn't mind Dom leaving in 2013 and Greene replacing him. I think Dom's better days are behind him and Greene's on the rise.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Great analysis after one off year. Let's completely forget Capers gave us a top 10 defense the two previous years.

If Capers has another terrible year like he did this year, then yeah, Greene for DC sounds good to me. Just please refrain from saying it with such finality until we actually see if Capers can't bounce back.
This is a placeholder
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Great analysis after one off year. Let's completely forget Capers gave us a top 10 defense the two previous years.

If Capers has another terrible year like he did this year, then yeah, Greene for DC sounds good to me. Just please refrain from saying it with such finality until we actually see if Capers can't bounce back.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

Brett Favre had one off year after a 107 rating the year before. I think the Vikings should have brought him back in 2011. :-"

On a serious note, Dom has been really strong against the run. It's been his forte his entire career if I'm not mistaken. Times have changed and it seems to me that Dom isn't changing with the times. I'm sure I'm not the only talking head that follows the Pack who feels this way.

And don't half the people on this board think it's better to fire someone a year too early than a year too late? That's why I said 2013 (check what I said up above). I'll be glad to give Dom 2012. If he shows the same stupid ideas of 2011, I'd want him gone for 2013.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
12 years ago

Brett Favre had one off year after a 107 rating the year before. I think the Vikings should have brought him back in 2011. :-"

On a serious note, Dom has been really strong against the run. It's been his forte his entire career if I'm not mistaken. Times have changed and it seems to me that Dom isn't changing with the times. I'm sure I'm not the only talking head that follows the Pack who feels this way.

And don't half the people on this board think it's better to fire someone a year too early than a year too late? That's why I said 2013 (check what I said up above). I'll be glad to give Dom 2012. If he shows the same stupid ideas of 2011, I'd want him gone for 2013.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

The problem on defence was personnel, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Ugh, more fallacy about the Packers and a good run defense. Hey, listen up!
Ever consider teams are playing catch up and have to pass?
Ever consider teams can pass all day any day against the Packers so why try to run?

Look at the Chiefs game in 2011. Chiefs churned out a couple first downs running the ball, game over. Yeah, solid run defense there. And there's other games similar crap happened too.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Kevin, Capers at least claims his defensive scheme is predicated on stopping the run and making teams one dimensional.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (16h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.