Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I was reading Jason Wilde's blog  and noticed a blurb about the Packers running game.

I just think we can be smarter when we run the ball and how we run the ball. We do this every year. You have to be real critical of everything, whether it's the play selection, what we're asking each player to do as far as the type of scheme, whether it's a zone scheme, pattern schemes.

More creativity, less volume. That's something that is kind of our motto when it comes down to building offensive scheme and defensive scheme every year. Do we have too many runs in the game plan? That's something we're looking at. Are there things we can add, take out? Those types of things. But really, I think we can do a better job, per situation, running the football. That's what we're taking a hard look at.

Mike McCarthy wrote:

Did he seriously ask if they have too many runs in the game plan? lol

I do agree with the point I think he was getting at. Which is to execute a running play at more opportune times. I thought last year the run plays were predictable in nature and expected. How many of us on 3rd an long shouted "draw play" and were correct? That's one example.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Not to mention, when was the last time we saw the slightest bit of misdirection from a Packers running play? It's almost always straight up the gut or if it's going wide, it is well telegraphed. The few times the Packers have attempted a little deception, the run has been snuffed out before it had a chance to develop.

I really, really hope they fix the miscommunication problems with James Starks in the coming season. It was annoying to see how impotent he became down the stretch in 2011. He never seemed to be in the right place at the right time.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
I'd love to see them run screens, but only if they do it well. For instance, I hate it when it looks like they're throwing the ball to the guy in the other jersey.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
12 years ago
I was really upset when Green went down. He was being groomed to be the third down screen back. Also, don't you think Cobb should line up in the backfield occassionally? The threat of his option pass in addition to his speed should demand a couple snaps a game.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

I was really upset when Green went down. He was being groomed to be the third down screen back. Also, don't you think Cobb should line up in the backfield occassionally? The threat of his option pass in addition to his speed should demand a couple snaps a game.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

For sure, WILDCAT!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Pack93z
12 years ago
The argument for the running game vs the passing game has never been about a percent from one to another.. or running just to run.

It has always been, from my perspective been about keeping the defense off balance in their pre-snap reads and avoiding giving the defense an advantage before the ball is snapped. It sounds insignificant, but it is all about the split second that forces the defense to read the play at the snap and pause them even for the slightest moment to allow the offense to gain the advantage.

The winning element to football always has been and always will be dictating your will upon the other team. You win that battle, thy force will be with you more often than not.

I don't give two pinches less about the type of offense you run.. power run, run and shoot, whatever... if you can dictate your will upon the defense and force them to adjust their gameplan.. advantage you.

Same principle on defense but the target is slightly different.. there it is all about taking offensive elements away and then forcing them to become predictable to enhance your chances of making a play.

Hence.. why I maintain, catering to the glory boys that are the QB's and making them out as the end all be all is a mistake in most cases. Sure there are special players at the position, just like any other position, the truly make them special. But for the most part, just because they play the position of QB doesn't make them any more vital to your success than most any other position upon the team.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
El3ment12
12 years ago
Man, I miss Ahman Green.
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Trent Richardson is going to fall to 28 and Ted Thompson will grab him. Then you will really hear some howls!!! LOL
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
12 years ago

Man, I miss Ahman Green.

Originally Posted by: El3ment380 

Was it really Ahman Green or an offensive line that had three interior lineman that could knock some heads in the running game, or at times could throw an extra hog in the U-71 package and really crack some skulls at the line of scrimmage?

Green was a good running back, but honestly he was afforded roads carved out by a physical line with a different run blocking scheme.

Again.. it all about dictating to the opposition. We had the talent and wanted to tear the defenses heart out on the ground and set up the pass for Brett and a not real deep receiving corp with a starting tight end that I could probably outrun. LOL.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
12 years ago
It was the OL. The only year A Green was "elite" was 2003 and note that we had not one, not two, but 3 RBs who averaged over 5 ypc. That's no coincidence.

Thus I maintain we need a stronger OL.

As for less running plays, 🇲🇲 is just talking about the total number of plays. You can have only 10 running plays in your playbook but if you're good at all 10, you'll be way better than a team with 100 running plays that only do well with 2 of them consistently.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (22h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.