Zero2Cool
12 years ago
The surgery John Lynch had on his neck was to remove bone spurs. I think that's different than what Nick Collins and Peyton Manning had.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
12 years ago
If the docs clear him, i see no problem.
ANYONE can break their neck while playing football. If Collins has had his neck fixed, and the doctors say he's 100%, i'd let him play if HE chooses to.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

If the docs clear him, i see no problem.
ANYONE can break their neck while playing football. If Collins has had his neck fixed, and the doctors say he's 100%, i'd let him play if HE chooses to.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yeah, I agree. If he is cleared, deemed to be 100%, and truly wants to play again no matter what, I think it would be lame to see the Packers not allow him. It'd be unfortunate for the Packers if he were to sign with another team and return to form. Obviously his health is the main concern here, but if he's cleared and wants to play, he should be allowed. He's a grown man capable of making his own decisions along with his family. The Broncos and several other teams didn't seem to have an issue letting Manning play again, despite all of his complications. I understand it's two different positions, but if he's willing to take a blind-side sack at full speed, among other hits, I don't see it being a whole lot different. I remain skeptical of Manning, but I feel as if a player has a right to make the decision themselves. I understand McCarthy's comment about he wouldn't let his son play. However, if his son was a player like Nick Collins and really wanted to play again, I doubt his Dad's objection would stop him. Bottom line, if Collins is cleared and chooses to play again, he's going to, whether it's with the Packers or not.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

PackerTraxx
12 years ago
Judging from Nick's injury, one does not have to be hit or hit hard to be injured. I'm fearful of him playing again. Much like McCarthy, if it were my brother or son I probably would feel the same way. The doctors, I would think, would error on the side of caution. So, if he wants to play it should be OK. Now, if he got injured again similarily there would be the stigma of "he should not have played". Even if a perfectly healthy person would have had the same thing happen. Therein lies the angst.

Wishing Nick the best, whatever that is.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Yeah, I agree. If he is cleared, deemed to be 100%, and truly wants to play again no matter what, I think it would be lame to see the Packers not allow him. It'd be unfortunate for the Packers if he were to sign with another team and return to form. Obviously his health is the main concern here, but if he's cleared and wants to play, he should be allowed. He's a grown man capable of making his own decisions along with his family. The Broncos and several other teams didn't seem to have an issue letting Manning play again, despite all of his complications. I understand it's two different positions, but if he's willing to take a blind-side sack at full speed, among other hits, I don't see it being a whole lot different. I remain skeptical of Manning, but I feel as if a player has a right to make the decision themselves. I understand McCarthy's comment about he wouldn't let his son play. However, if his son was a player like Nick Collins and really wanted to play again, I doubt his Dad's objection would stop him. Bottom line, if Collins is cleared and chooses to play again, he's going to, whether it's with the Packers or not.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I think people have missed out what Mike was saying.

Obviously Nick as a grown man. He will make up his own mind. If he is cleared to play Mike will let him.

What Mike meant was that he and his son would sit down and talk. Mike would say that it is Nick and his wife's decision. But he would say, "Son even if the Drs are right and you are 100% cleared to play, the drs are not infallible. The risk of something happening is much greater for you than for the average player and it is not worth it. You have too much life left in front of you to risk it over a game of football." Nick would say that he appreciates the concern, love, that Mike is showing him but he has this burning desire to get back out there and play again. They would agree to disagree. They would still have respect for each other. Nick would ask to play and Mike would reluctantly allow it.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
I have said it a number of times.. I hope Nick just walks away from the game now. The risk is great for a person without prior spinal injuries.. there is no way that I can believe that he will not be at an elevated risk going forward.

So you have made good money.. you played the game at a very high level. Accept it and move alone.. at least that is what I would do looking from the outside in.

Having had to go through that myself, when I could no longer play.. I know how difficult that is to accept.. so I can understand him exhausting the possibility.

There is something to be said for quality of life after the game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DoddPower
12 years ago

The risk of something happening is much greater for you than for the average player and it is not worth it.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think this is the key point of your post. One of the main caveats of returning will likely be if the doctors tell him that he is at no more risk of sustaining the same injury than any other 'healthy' player. My understanding is that, in a perfect scenario, he will not be at any greater risk than a healthy player. Theoretically, that's the entire point of the procedure. If everything fuses and heals properly, it should be "good as new." The risk of this injury has to be significant for every player considering how easily it happened to Nick. It's more of a freak scenario than anything. I know Shawn doesn't believe it's possible for the risk to be the same for a healthy player vs. Nick Collins, but I'll defer to a team of elite professional doctors on that one. I lean towards Shawn's opinion, but who am I to question the medical staff if they in fact state that there is no elevated risk?

I did take McCarthy's comments somewhat out of context as I only gave them a cursory reading. I was more elaborating on my opinion that if Nick is healthy and hell-bent on playing again, the Packer's should probably let him fulfill his contract. I imagine they are going to give it a shot otherwise I'm sure what the purpose of not cutting him already would serve.

Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Nick Collins will not return to the field unless he is at no more risk playing in the NFL than prior to the injury. If there is even 1%, he is done. I'm basing this off all of the things he's said that are very direct in his commitment to his family and after football life.

If Nick Collins returns to the field, it is because he has been confidently told he is no more at risk of injury than prior to the injury that landed him on IR. The guy is complacent and ready for his after football life. At least, by all indications of things he's said in interviews and quoted on.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I think this is the key point of your post. One of the main caveats of returning will likely be if the doctors tell him that he is at no more risk of sustaining the same injury than any other 'healthy' player. My understanding is that, in a perfect scenario, he will not be at any greater risk than a healthy player. Theoretically, that's the entire point of the procedure. If everything fuses and heals properly, it should be "good as new." The risk of this injury has to be significant for every player considering how easily it happened to Nick. It's more of a freak scenario than anything. I know Shawn doesn't believe it's possible for the risk to be the same for a healthy player vs. Nick Collins, but I'll defer to a team of elite professional doctors on that one. I lean towards Shawn's opinion, but who am I to question the medical staff if they in fact state that there is no elevated risk?

I did take McCarthy's comments somewhat out of context as I only gave them a cursory reading. I was more elaborating on my opinion that if Nick is healthy and hell-bent on playing again, the Packer's should probably let him fulfill his contract. I imagine they are going to give it a shot otherwise I'm sure what the purpose of not cutting him already would serve.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I think Mike is leading with his heart and not his head. That's all I mean.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago

I think Mike is leading with his heart and not his head. That's all I mean.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yeah, I'm stretching things a bit, for sure. If Nick is deemed "healthy," it's really just a matter of how bad he wants to play. Peyton Manning choose to play again. I'd be surprised if Nick doesn't. I'm still really surprised Manning is giving it another go after all the complication he's had.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.