wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Expectations were at an all-time high for North Carolina State's standout linebacker Terrell Manning.

After an All-American type season with the Wolfpack, Manning was projected by many, including draft guru Mel Kiper Jr., as a third-round talent at inside linebacker.

Like all prospects, Terrell had high hopes for where he was going to be drafted. After putting up some solid combine numbers (4.7 speed, 22 reps on the bench), Manning thought he was solidified as second- or third-round pick.

However, as the first two days of the draft came and went, Manning remained on the board. He continued to slip on Day 3 as well, waiting out the entire fourth round and a good chunk of the fifth round.

This draft day free fall was finally put to rest, however, when the Green Bay Packers traded back into the fifth round to grab the talented linebacker.

While many other teams clearly didn't believe in Manning due to some injury concerns and lack of elite size (he's 230 pounds), the Packers grabbed a player who will contribute on defense as a rookie due to the outstanding versatility he has at the linebacker position.

At NC State, Manning was a jack of all trades who had a combination of skills that most college linebackers don't possess.

Last season as a junior, Manning was a dominant playmaker for the Wolfpack, as he racked up 76 tackles, six sacks, 15 tackles for loss and three interceptions in 13 games.

He showed quality explosion as a pass rusher (even playing some defensive end), is a tackling machine with good range in the run game and can drop back into coverage over the middle of the field and defend backs and tight ends.

In today's passing league, linebackers need to be able to do more than just be a thumper against the run, which makes Manning's multifaceted game extremely valuable.

There's a mighty large chip on this young man's shoulder after his draft day slide (he was quoted saying he thinks he's one of the best linebackers from this year's draft class), and I believe Manning's desire stick it to everyone that passed on him will quickly move this kid up the depth charts.

It's easy to love the attitude and ability Manning brings to the field, and that will be enough to win himself a starting role at inside linebacker over AJ Hawk at some point during the season.

link to rest of the story 

Maybe next year. I don't see him unseating hawk this year. Others are saying that Smith will take the spot. I don't see that either. Better play on the DL will mean better play by all the LBers.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago
I would not be surprised to see him starting at MLB next season when Hawk is gone. I think he's a much better player than Smith, and Smith is decent. It may take him a little time, but this was a nice pick Let the North Carolina MLB's battle it out!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I think D.J. Smith has a better chance of beating out A.J. Hawk than Terrell Manning.

Here's Hawk's contract numbers.
2012: $4.4 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus)
2013: $4.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus)
2014: $4.9 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus)
2015: $5.4 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus)
2016: Free Agent
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I think D.J. Smith has a better chance of beating out A.J. Hawk than Terrell Manning.

Here's Hawk's contract numbers.
2012: $4.4 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus)
2013: $4.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus)
2014: $4.9 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus)
2015: $5.4 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus)
2016: Free Agent

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

yep.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
DJ Smith is a thumper. He's good in run support. Manning is a guy who is tall and who can cover. We need a guy who can contribute to pass defense.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
12 years ago

DJ Smith is a thumper. He's good in run support. Manning is a guy who is tall and who can cover. We need a guy who can contribute to pass defense.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Manning could provide a nice pass rush from the inside. He gives the Packers a lot more flexibility. Hawk's competition on first and second down is certainly Smith, for reasons you state. He's a thumper. However, Manning could get him off the field in passing situations ala Brandon Chiller.

DoddPower
12 years ago

Manning could provide a nice pass rush from the inside. He gives the Packers a lot more flexibility. Hawk's competition on first and second down is certainly Smith, for reasons you state. He's a thumper. However, Manning could get him off the field in passing situations ala Brandon Chiller.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I think Manning is a "thumper" as well. D.J. Smith's main advantage is leverage, as he's 5'11, 239 lbs. Manning is 6'2, 237 and can get stood up at times. I expect his weight to increase slightly as he bulks up in the coming year. Desmond Bishop is listed at 6'2, 238. Smith is a tackling machine, and I really like the guy, but I think overall Manning will have a much more significant impact on this team than Smith, especially considering Dom's desire to get to sub packages as quickly as humanly possible. As mentioned, his flexibility will force Caper's to put him on the field as he equilibrates to the NFL. We could be seeing some amazing zone blitzes next season . . .
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
No way do I see him beating Hawk out. Mainly because he is known as being incosistent, so he will need time to learn and develop. His speed is also suspect, 4.89 at the Combine. Maybe that was slower than normal and/or maybe he'll get his speed back after fully healing from the knee surgery. Anyway, those two things put together don't bode well for starting as a rookie. In addition, he is said to not wrap up on tackles, but I believe that comes down to coaching and coachability. Tackling is not rocket science, it's willingness. Now I do like the pick, I think it was a great value pick and could see him being a factor his 2nd or 3rd year much like Bishop.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DoddPower
12 years ago

No way do I see him beating Hawk out. Mainly because he is known as being incosistent, so he will need time to learn and develop. His speed is also suspect, 4.89 at the Combine. Maybe that was slower than normal and/or maybe he'll get his speed back after fully healing from the knee surgery. Anyway, those two things put together don't bode well for starting as a rookie. In addition, he is said to not wrap up on tackles, but I believe that comes down to coaching and coachability. Tackling is not rocket science, it's willingness. Now I do like the pick, I think it was a great value pick and could see him being a factor his 2nd or 3rd year much like Bishop.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

He ran a 4.63 at the combine .

zombieslayer
12 years ago
Now the question I have, did Hawk have an off year or is he in a decline? The year before wasn't so bad. He got 3 INTs and a lot more tackles. Last year was pretty bad though. I'd love to see him bounce back.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.