wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
Part 1 

Part 2 

Change is life in the NFL. Players and teams are constantly getting better and worse and so each year looks different from the previous one. Those who study the NFL will tell you that most players improve in the offseason between their first and second year. Reasons abound for why this is the case, such as having a full offseason for the first time, better conditioning throughout the offseason, or finally understanding the playbook. No matter what the reason is though we see it year in and year out that a guy who ran hot and cold his rookie year steps up year two or three and just breaks out on the scene.

So bear with me as we leap from player to player, each of these guys striving to right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that their improvement will help bring the Lombardi trophy home. What can I say...I hear quantum leap and I think Scott Bakula, I just can't help it.

The first, and probably most obvious candidate for the quantum leap, is Randall Cobb. I'm not going to lie, this is a bit difficult to type because Cobb had the most impressive single play last year by doing a barrel roll. His play was pretty good, so how much better can he actually be? But the fact is that Cobb's touches should go up and his grasp of the offense is going to be much better. All this points to Cobb having a big year as a WR instead of just a returner, and should give Aaron Rodgers another special option to throw to and continue to make the offense dynamic.

The next guy ready for a break out year may need a break out camp just to make the team. Davon House is a bit of a forgotten man as of late. Suffering an injury early in the year last year, House didn't make much of an impact through his rookie campaign. On top of this the Packers added a notable rookie at his position in Casey Hayward which should make the competition for field time that much harder for House. If House can stay healthy and put together a good season he will help improve a woeful pass defense last year, keep Jarret Bush on the sidelines, and help transition Charles Woodson to safety.

Despite the promise of Cobb and the need for House, I think the guy most poised for a breakout year out of this group is D.J. Williams. Now my reason for this is a mixture of need, disappointment last year, and the position he plays. The NFL is a copycat league, and so when one team innovates in an unexpected way, suddenly teams go out and try to copy that to catch up. Sometimes this works, for example the West Coast Offense or the 3-4 defense, or the push for mobile QB's in the last couple years. Sometimes it doesn't work and the fad goes out of fashion (see the Wildcat offense). Right now multiple TE sets are going all the rage. Teams are looking for TE's that can create mismatches. They can run fast enough to blow past LB's, but big and strong enough to be too much for your average safety to handle. Get two of those guys on the field and you can have the option to run or pass, stretch the field or play smash mouth football. The Packers have one guy who can do that in Jermichael Finley, but who would be the second option? Andrew Quarless has the potential, but it sounds like he is behind on his recovery process. Tom Crabtree and Ryan Taylor are great high effort guys, but not exactly the physical threat. Enter D.J. Williams.

Williams was a high performing TE in college who slipped in the draft due to height concerns. This means that he may not have all the mismatches you want, but he does have the ability to get open in space as well as block. Last year he was a bit of the invisible man with only two catches. He can be a solid number two option and has the opportunity if Quarless starts the year on the PUP. If Williams can learn the playbook and flash some talent in training camp he will be uniquely poised in the Packer arsenal this year.

For all the draft picks and guys you expect to step up there is always one guy who comes out of no where and takes his chance at the big time by the throat. Once upon a time that was Tramon Williams. Sam Shields looked like he would do that too back in 2010. One guy who may be able to do that this year is M.D. Jennings. Jennings is a guy with good range and speed at a position looking for someone to step up. Between all the competition with Charlie Peprah, Anthony Levine, and Jennings himself, there is ample chance for Jennings to make a name for himself. Especially if he can keep making plays like he did the first day of OTA's.

Marshall Newhouse. Newhouse is probably the main guy people wanted to point out that I forgot. There is plenty of good reason for this too, since Newhouse is now stepping into the starting LT role in his own right and did show promise last year. Really his situation reminds me of Bryan Bulaga's situation a year ago. Bulaga stepped into the starting lineup due to the injury to Mark Tauscher and seemed to have an uneven season his rookie year. Profootball Focus rated him poorly and there were mixed messages about Bulaga and if he was going to pan out throughout the offseason last year. This past year though Bulaga was one of the best right tackles in the NFL and one of the most solid offensive linemen the Packers put on the field. Newhouse had a similar story, stepping in for Clifton's injury last year and having some up and down performances (great against Jared Allen but not so good against Jason Pierre-Paul). Now with his first full offseason, Newhouse looks to combine true NFL training with his previous experience to become the heir to Chad Clifton.

Alex Green. I had a tough time choosing between Green and Brandon Saine. There was some push for Saine, but in the end I only wanted one running back on the list and I think Green is the stronger choice. Green has got the size and speed to be successful for the Packers. Better yet, he is the best threat as a receiver among the current running backs which should give him a leg up for getting playing time. The major question surrounding him is his health status after an ACL injury. Right now most reports have been positive, and if these reports are accurate it could be a big season for Green.

D.J. Smith. I want to start by saying that taking a big step is not necessarily starting, especially in the case of Smith. A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop have those starting jobs locked down. Smith did have some shining moments in his relief duty last year; with his speed and nose for the ball he may be able to push for some playing time...especially in subpackages and in coverage where Hawk has been known to struggle. If Smith is able to show something this year and continue to be a high energy playmaking force he will probably be in line for a starting role push next year.

Graham Harrell. I'm not sure if this is unadulterated hope on my part or blind faith in McCarthy and company, but Harrell may be ready to make the biggest leap of all. Perhaps the saving grace for this particular prediction is that if everything goes right we will probably never see it...save for garbage time. So far McCarthy and crew have worked with three backup quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers, Matt Flynn, and Brian Brohm) besides Harrell; and all three have gone on to be starting QB's. Okay, sure Brohm started just a handful of games for some pretty woeful Bills teams, but he still started. Even if you take Brohm out of the equation and you just look at the development of Rodgers and Flynn and that's a pretty good track record. Harrell has finally had a chance to go through QB School and have a full offseason to learn the playbook and go over fundamentals. More importantly, if Harrell taking a step forward means he should be at least a solid backup should the worst happen. If he can put together some good preseason games, maybe even have some good showings like he did last year, he may even be trade bait someday.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
Great post. The thing I like about MD Jennings is that he's never out of position. Just seems like he's very assignment sure.

As for Green and Saine. I like BOTH those guys. Saine's got a year of experience under his belt, so he shouldn't be as raw. He really came on late last year too. As for Green, I've always liked him. Led the nation in average per carry iirc. Made me sick about that knee. They'll probly have him on a pitch count, at least for the first half of the season. But both of these guys are the type that can be weapons in the short passing game. Love them both.

Newhouse, I'm not so high on. I kind of have him slotted as the backup swing tackle. I got Sherrod/Datko at LT and Bugala/Newhouse at RT. But Newhouse has shown he can play both sides. We also got Lang who can fill in as an emergency guy.

As far as Cobb, I know it's controversial but the dude is just SO explosive. I see him moving way up the depth chart.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago
It seems like GB has a truck load of players with a lot of potential.
Let's see off the top of my head they have:

RB Green, Saine and Tyler. Maybe you could include Starks.
WR Cobb. I guess we could throw Gurley, Borel and Smithson in there. But at most only 1 will make the team.
TE Quarless and Williams
OL Sherrod, Newhouse and Datko
DL Guy was put in to that category last year.
LB Smith and Moses
DB Shields is still raw, Nerd you like Jennings. I don't know much about him. I don't even remember seeing him on the field last year so I have no idea.

Naturally the draft picks especially the higher ones would be included so I left them out.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
1. Levine. Adjusting coming out of a smaller school. Has the tools.. I willing to bet he puts it together this season.

2. So'oto. Kid has a year under his belt.. I would not be surprised to see him carry over the flashes last season and put together a run at major playing time. Way I see it.. Packers are going to be looking for guys that can pressure from the inside as well opposite Matthews.. would not surprise me to see a package of 3 or 4 OLBers on the field on passing situations.

3. Ryan Taylor Year of decent special teams play under his belt.. I think both he and Williams are going to push for snaps at TE this season. Taylor I can see moving all over the place.. Hback, spot FB, think a slightly taller and more agile Kuhn.

4. DJ Smith: I see him pushing Hawk for playing time or maybe even Bishop in certain sets... IMO, kid is going to become a brilliant player inside for the Packers.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Anyone ever look at the Packers roster and think they'd struggle to put together a better team on Madden (without cheating the cap lol)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
11 years ago

1. Levine. Adjusting coming out of a smaller school. Has the tools.. I willing to bet he puts it together this season.

2. So'oto. Kid has a year under his belt.. I would not be surprised to see him carry over the flashes last season and put together a run at major playing time. Way I see it.. Packers are going to be looking for guys that can pressure from the inside as well opposite Matthews.. would not surprise me to see a package of 3 or 4 OLBers on the field on passing situations.

3. Ryan Taylor Year of decent special teams play under his belt.. I think both he and Williams are going to push for snaps at TE this season. Taylor I can see moving all over the place.. Hback, spot FB, think a slightly taller and more agile Kuhn.

4. DJ Smith: I see him pushing Hawk for playing time or maybe even Bishop in certain sets... IMO, kid is going to become a brilliant player inside for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

yeah I thought about Sooto (I still refuse to put the ' in his name.) but with so many LB he is really going to have to shine to get many snaps.
Same for Ryan Taylor. He may be too deep on the depth chart to get much of an opportunity.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (12h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.