Stevetarded
11 years ago
So here is the HUGE difference between the two in coverage over 12 games last year.

11 receptions
7 first downs
131 yards
1.5 td

That doesn't really have the same impact as saying he gave up a 120+ passer rating does it? We also don't know who they were having to cover either. For example if Bishop was covering Randy Moss and Kellen Winslow while Hawk was covering Brandon Jacobs there's probably going to be some differences (not that that's necessarily what it is just that we don't know)

As far as pass rushing here's a link that goes over it for 2010 (can't find anything for last year.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/24/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-linebackers/ 

Bishop had 23 pressures with 91 pass rushes.
Hawk while still pretty good only had 18 pressures with 174 pass rushes.

blank
Stevetarded
11 years ago

You know what happens when you assume?

Sometimes you're wrong.

I didn't see anything in their ratings that included pass coverage. In fact, most of their rating seemed to be based on impact plays on the other side of the LOS. Which would be the smallest portion of a LBs responsibility.

Not even considering the fact that Hawk was the lead blitzer in their cross dog blitz. Making him take on O-linemen and leaving Bishop free with just a RB to slow him down. Hawk still managed 15 pressures and 2 batted passes to Bishop's 20 pressures and 0 batted passes. I saw nothing showing how well they did in pass coverage in that rating.

I posted a link to it last time. Raashan explained all his work. I would have to search for it.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

I wasn't assuming that it included their pass coverage because I'm certain that it does. I was assuming that their differences in coverage were insignificant enough to not have a big impact.
blank
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago
Again, my point isn't to say who is better or worse. My point was to say that people's bias prevents the eye test from being anywhere near accurate or credible.

Nobody wants to believe that Bishop sucked in coverage so they can't see it. They want to believe he is the most complete LB in the league. So that is the perception that is out there.

I don't want to prove Hawk is better. I just want to prove how good he is. Without using the freaking useless waste of time eye test that people use to bash him just because they are pissed at him.

Like I have said many times. I don't care if a guy is my favorite player. Like Donald Driver. If we have a better guy on the team, start him.

Give me something better than passer rating that is first and foremost, unbiased empirical fact. Anything at all. So far, nobody has even tried to come up with any suggestion other than the eye test. I will be happy to abandon the passer rating. I will celebrate it's demise. But just like with the players, I won't get rid of it until there is something better.

No matter how much I like or dislike it.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

So here is the HUGE difference between the two in coverage over 12 games last year.

11 receptions
7 first downs
131 yards
1.5 td

That doesn't really have the same impact as saying he gave up a 120+ passer rating does it? We also don't know who they were having to cover either. For example if Bishop was covering Randy Moss and Kellen Winslow while Hawk was covering Brandon Jacobs there's probably going to be some differences (not that that's necessarily what it is just that we don't know)

As far as pass rushing here's a link that goes over it for 2010 (can't find anything for last year.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/24/three-years-of-pass-rushing-productivity-linebackers/ 

Bishop had 23 pressures with 91 pass rushes.
Hawk while still pretty good only had 18 pressures with 174 pass rushes.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

But it does have the same impact if it was stated as nearly twice what Hawk gave up. Again you are missing the ratio part. 11 receptions doesn't sound like much but 11 receptions is a third of the times Bishop was targeted. Giving up 77% completions is a huge difference over giving up 59% with almost twice as many first downs.

Again,the cross dog blitz which is a staple of the Packers has Hawk looking for a lineman to tie up to free Bishop. Calling that a blitz is kind of over stating it a bit.

Hawk covered Darren Sprolls and Matt Forte. Is there a tougher assignment?
Stevetarded
11 years ago

But it does have the same impact if it was stated as nearly twice what Hawk gave up. Again you are missing the ratio part. 11 receptions doesn't sound like much but 11 receptions is a third of the times Bishop was targeted. Giving up 77% completions is a huge difference over giving up 59% with almost twice as many first downs.

Again,the cross dog blitz which is a staple of the Packers has Hawk looking for a lineman to tie up to free Bishop. Calling that a blitz is kind of over stating it a bit.

11 receptions doesn't sound like much because it isn't much. That's less than 1 more reception per game. There is a difference between giving up 77% of 30 passes and giving up 77% of 200 passes. That's why I want to see raw numbers more than averages and ratings because as linebackers they aren't in significant coverage enough to have a large sample size. I don't care that he gave up "twice as much" if that means 11 more. I would care about twice as much if that meant say 30 or 40 more.

As far as the cross dog blitz thing unless you know how many times they used it and how many of those led to Bishop's pressures you are resorting to using the eye test which you despise so much.

Ok, so how many plays did he cover Sproles and Forte and do you know that Bishop never covered those two? That's my point we don't know which players they were covering or how long or how many times they had to cover them.
blank
DoddPower
11 years ago

Nobody wants to believe that Bishop sucked in coverage so they can't see it. They want to believe he is the most complete LB in the league. So that is the perception that is out there.

hah, hyperbole such as this is a quick way to end decent discussion. Maybe some have said he's "the most complete LB in the league" but certainly not me. In fact, I've seen several others say the he isn't very good and struggles. I myself have said both Hawk and Bishop are average in coverage. Porky said a similar thing but that Bishop was better in other aspects of his game and used a rating system to support his claim (which seems just as if not more valid than the passing rating allowed system you largely rely on). As I said earlier, I don't put nearly as much faith in the passing rating allowed rating system as you do. For one, it's only 12 games. Two, he doesn't know the details of the play and sometimes can't even see entire play. Trying to evaluate a defense without knowing the specifics of the defense or at LEAST having the "All-22" camera angles is undoubtedly going to be bias. As I said, it provides an insight and nothing more.

Re: pass plays of 20+ yards:

Here's the breakdown of responsibility for the 74 20-plus passes: Williams (16), Bishop (nine), Shields (nine), Bush (eight), Peprah (eight), Woodson (6½), Burnett (five), Hawk (five), Walden (two), Nick Collins (one), Pat Lee (one), Matthews (one), Raji (one) and D.J. Smith (one). One-half of a pass had no fault.

Of the 32 touchdown passes allowed in 17 games, 24½ were allowed by the secondary, 5½ by linebackers and two by the defensive line.

Responsibility fell this way: Woodson (five), Peprah (4½), Shields (4½), Williams (3½), Burnett (three), Bishop (2½), Bush (2½), Hawk (two), Wynn (two), Collins (1½) and Jamari Lattimore (one).

"JS Online  wrote:

So Bishop allowed four more play of 20+ passes than Hawk, and 11 fewer than Williams. That doesn't look great for Bishop, and it shows he likely struggled covering tight ends far down the field. As Porky said, who doesn't? Again, I lay some of the blame on Caper's for continually asking Bishop to do so. If Hawk is better at covering down the field, why wasn't he doing so more often? Bishop also allowed 0.5 more touchdowns than Hawk, obviously not a huge difference there. The four more allowed passes of 20+ yards isn't great either, but again, it's not a HUGE discrepancy and the points allowed from the two (touch downs) were similar. I understand some of the big plays may have set up touchdowns allowed by other defenders, but as of now that's impossible to speculate on for me so I won't attempt to.

As for Hawk covering Sproles: Sprole's had 7 catches for 75 yards with a long of 36. Not bad for a "RB." Pierre Thomas also had 4 catches for 37 yards with a long of 13. That makes for a total of 11 catches for 112 yards and no touchdowns. Not horrible either, but not great. Graham has 4 catches for 56 yards, 1 TD, and a long of 21. The TD was on Bishop's watch, and he deserves credit for allowing it. However, it was a fantastic play by the Saint's as well. I don't remember well enough whom was covering whom and on what percentage, I'm just listing some numbers. Bishop had 8 tackles and 4 assists while Hawk had 1 tackle, 3 assists, and a half sack. It's hard to say who had a bigger impact in this one game, but I thought I'd post the numbers. I don't have the time to do so for the two Bear's games because I have to get some work done.

What are the other examples besides the subjective pass rating analysis and the 20+ yard plays? I'd love to see them. Perhaps I've missed them.

Without using the freaking useless waste of time eye test that people use to bash him just because they are pissed at him

"Dexter" wrote:

Also, I've stated my opinions on why the "eye test" isn't completely useless, but we will just have to disagree on that one. It's obvious some emotion is coming to play here as well. I would say that Thompson does a pretty good job of "eye testing" players (no doubt along with statistics) to evaluate talent, as do many others in the league. Personal evaluation outside of numbers certainly has a place in player evaluation, is done so daily, and will continue to do so. Not everything can be evaluated by numbers and unfortunately other forms of evaluation have to come into play. It's just the way it is. I'm not going to repeat several things I've already said on this subject.

I'm not "pissed" at Hawk. I've stated in this thread that I want nothing more for him to succeed. I also don't think most of us are basing our full opinions on the 2011 season alone; a season in which several players regressed. Hawk's play has largely been anywhere from slightly above average to slightly below and the sample size is large enough for many of us to feel comfortable with that. At times in the past, Bishop has played quite well, although his consistency could be better. He also plays the run pretty well. Add in Hawk's salary and some question is he's worth keeping, especially with the play of DJ Smith as a rookie. I still think Hawk will start and finish the 2012 season, but I don't think the drop off would be huge from him to DJ Smith and perhaps DJ Smith has a higher ceiling. That's for the coaches to decide.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Yes sir, there is. For starters, covering Darren Sproles would be vastly more difficult than Darren Sprolls. :P

(now Dexter will find a guy named Darren Sprolls who can run the forty in 3 seconds lol)
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

hah, hyperbole such as this is a quick way to end decent discussion. Maybe some have said he's "the most complete LB in the league" but certainly not me. In fact, I've seen several others say the he isn't very good and struggles. I myself have said both Hawk and Bishop are average in coverage. Porky said a similar thing but that Bishop was better in other aspects of his game and used a rating system to support his claim (which seems just as if not more valid than the passing rating allowed system you largely rely on). As I said earlier, I don't put nearly as much faith in the passing rating allowed rating system as you do. For one, it's only 12 games. Two, he doesn't know the details of the play and sometimes can't even see entire play. Trying to evaluate a defense without knowing the specifics of the defense or at LEAST having the "All-22" camera angles is undoubtedly going to be bias. As I said, it provides an insight and nothing more.

Re: pass plays of 20+ yards:

So Bishop allowed four more play of 20+ passes than Hawk, and 11 fewer than Williams. That doesn't look great for Bishop, and it shows he likely struggled covering tight ends far down the field. As Porky said, who doesn't? Again, I lay some of the blame on Caper's for continually asking Bishop to do so. If Hawk is better at covering down the field, why wasn't he doing so more often? Bishop also allowed 0.5 more touchdowns than Hawk, obviously not a huge difference there. The four more allowed passes of 20+ yards isn't great either, but again, it's not a HUGE discrepancy and the points allowed from the two (touch downs) were similar. I understand some of the big plays may have set up touchdowns allowed by other defenders, but as of now that's impossible to speculate on for me so I won't attempt to.

As for Hawk covering Sproles: Sprole's had 7 catches for 75 yards with a long of 36. Not bad for a "RB." Pierre Thomas also had 4 catches for 37 yards with a long of 13. That makes for a total of 11 catches for 112 yards and no touchdowns. Not horrible either, but not great. Graham has 4 catches for 56 yards, 1 TD, and a long of 21. The TD was on Bishop's watch, and he deserves credit for allowing it. However, it was a fantastic play by the Saint's as well. I don't remember well enough whom was covering whom and on what percentage, I'm just listing some numbers. Bishop had 8 tackles and 4 assists while Hawk had 1 tackle, 3 assists, and a half sack. It's hard to say who had a bigger impact in this one game, but I thought I'd post the numbers. I don't have the time to do so for the two Bear's games because I have to get some work done.

What are the other examples besides the subjective pass rating analysis and the 20+ yard plays? I'd love to see them. Perhaps I've missed them.

Also, I've stated my opinions on why the "eye test" isn't completely useless, but we will just have to disagree on that one. It's obvious some emotion is coming to play here as well. I would say that Thompson does a pretty good job of "eye testing" players (no doubt along with statistics) to evaluate talent, as do many others in the league. Personal evaluation outside of numbers certainly has a place in player evaluation, is done so daily, and will continue to do so. Not everything can be evaluated by numbers and unfortunately other forms of evaluation have to come into play. It's just the way it is. I'm not going to repeat several things I've already said on this subject.

I'm not "pissed" at Hawk. I've stated in this thread that I want nothing more for him to succeed. I also don't think most of us are basing our full opinions on the 2011 season alone; a season in which several players regressed. Hawk's play has largely been anywhere from slightly above average to slightly below and the sample size is large enough for many of us to feel comfortable with that. At times in the past, Bishop has played quite well, although his consistency could be better. He also plays the run pretty well. Add in Hawk's salary and some question is he's worth keeping, especially with the play of DJ Smith as a rookie. I still think Hawk will start and finish the 2012 season, but I don't think the drop off would be huge from him to DJ Smith and perhaps DJ Smith has a higher ceiling. That's for the coaches to decide.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

I would bet your left nut that Thomposon has a quantified grading scale. First and foremost, he has to quantify the scouting reports of all the different scouts and compare them to get a relative rating. That alone is enough for me to consider Thompson a genius.

I posted all of the passing stats I could find for last year. I am not going to keep re-posting them.

In my opinion, salary is the worst argument ever. Do we want to save money or win games. Put the best guy on the field. So what if he isn't the best value. If the whole team is under the cap, it has no bearing what so ever.

Either does draft position. He is not battling the entire draft for a starting spot, just whoever is on the roster.

We only played Forte once, He was out for the last game with an injury.

I have never disputed that Bishop is great everywhere but in coverage. My sole complaint is that he sucks in coverage. The worst on a team that struggled in pass coverage as a whole.

I have disputed the sack issue with Hawk. Because of the obvious assignments on the cross dog blitz.

Until the eye test has a scale that is built into it so different observers can compare different player, it is crap. Unless it can't be biased, regardless if it actually is or not, it is not trustworthy.

As far as hanging Bishop out to dry, if you trade Hawk and Bishops assignments, you put Hawk on a TE who is probably slower than the RB he would normally be covering. Putting Bishop on an even faster player than he was covering before. Trading assignments for Hawk and Bishop would have been even more disastrous. The only option I saw was to either live with it or pull Bishop on passing downs. So Bishop could sit during nickel downs and we could put someone faster in for him.

To look at the difference in passing stats, look at it like that was a whole game by a QB. If they had a game like Bishop gave up, they would have been as good as Rodgers. If a QB had a game like Hawk gave up, he would be like Matt Hasselbeck. 77% completions and more than 25% over 20 yards. That says a lot.
Dexter_Sinister
11 years ago

11 receptions doesn't sound like much because it isn't much. That's less than 1 more reception per game. There is a difference between giving up 77% of 30 passes and giving up 77% of 200 passes. That's why I want to see raw numbers more than averages and ratings because as linebackers they aren't in significant coverage enough to have a large sample size. I don't care that he gave up "twice as much" if that means 11 more. I would care about twice as much if that meant say 30 or 40 more.

As far as the cross dog blitz thing unless you know how many times they used it and how many of those led to Bishop's pressures you are resorting to using the eye test which you despise so much.

Ok, so how many plays did he cover Sproles and Forte and do you know that Bishop never covered those two? That's my point we don't know which players they were covering or how long or how many times they had to cover them.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

If those were stats for 2 different QBs in one game. One QB had a great game. The other had an average game. And yes, those were enough attempts for a fairly average game. If a QB completes 11 more passes and has 2 more TDs, it is a much better game.

We are talking about how good they are in pass coverage. Bishop gets beaten 77% of the time. Hawk gets beaten 60% of the time. Bishop gives up a 20+ yard TD 25 % of the time. Hawk gave one up 20% of the time.

Teams throw against the Packers more than they run. The Packers also struggled the most against the pass and Bishop was the worst defender in coverage and he gave up the 4th most completions on the team as of that point in the year because they were throwing at the CBs more than they were throwing at Bishop.

You can minimalize it by dividing it, but you can do the same with other stats. Bishop only got .29 more sacks per game. He only got less than .5 more pressures a game. He only got 3 more solo tackles a game. It is all insignificant if you divide it small enough.

DoddPower
11 years ago

I would bet your left nut that Thomposon has a quantified grading scale. First and foremost, he has to quantify the scouting reports of all the different scouts and compare them to get a relative rating. That alone is enough for me to consider Thompson a genius.

And you don't think that "eye tests" are used for the basis of the quantification? It's easy to quantify anything. I can assign a number rating to a player's performance without looking at any statistics. It's easy. It's not uniform or unbiased across the league, and that's why some scouts are better than others. This is very obvious to me.

I posted all of the passing stats I could find for last year. I am not going to keep re-posting them.

The only passing stats I remember seeing directly comparing Bishop and Hawk was the passing rating scale by Raashan that I have addressed several times and then eventually the plays of 20+ yards. Neither of which is enough for me to make a definitive assessment of a player, but perhaps it is for you. Or maybe I missed further analysis.

In my opinion, salary is the worst argument ever. Do we want to save money or win games. Put the best guy on the field. So what if he isn't the best value. If the whole team is under the cap, it has no bearing what so ever.

This is clearly your opinion because salary does factor in player equations all the time. It's easy for you to have that opinion as a fan, but it's a lot different for someone actually managing the budget. If a GM thinks they can get almost equal or equal play from someone making 3-4 million dollars less a year, it's silly to think the potential savings doesn't cross their mind. I'm sure Ted wanted to keep Cullen Jenkins but unfortunately his perceived salary didn't fit into the books, for whatever reason. Normal general manager business. It's not as simple as just putting the best players on the field because the money has to be there to resign the likes of Rodger's, CM3, Raji, etc. etc. I think Thompson has repeatedly shown he's willing to go with a younger (and yes cheaper) talent over more expensive proven vets, much to the bewilderment of many talking heads. This is part of the reason the Packer's are usually in pretty good shape with the salary cap and retaining their players. They don't overpay, even if it means losing people sometimes. They're confident in replacing them with someone younger and cheaper, if need be.

Either does draft position. He is not battling the entire draft for a starting spot, just whoever is on the roster.

OK? Hawk is viewed by many to be a disappointment for where he was drafted. I haven't been discussing that in anyway, though.

I have disputed the sack issue with Hawk. Because of the obvious assignments on the cross dog blitz.

I understand that they use this blitz a lot, but it's certainly not the only blitz used. I think we all get your point on that particular blitz, but it's become overstated. I think the general consensus among the majority is that Bishop is the better pass rusher, regardless of the circumstances. Do you have numbers displaying the frequency of cross dog blitzes vs. other blitzes?

Until the eye test has a scale that is built into it so different observers can compare different player, it is crap. Unless it can't be biased, regardless if it actually is or not, it is not trustworthy.

Once again, everything about judging players is biased and that's why some other excel why others falter. It may be crap to you, but it happens and isn't going to stop anytime soon. Numbers will never tell the whole story and someone's evaluation (opinions) attempt to fill in the gaps. This is like saying a professor grading a presentation or a piece of writing is always crap simply because it likely won't be consistent across all graders. Different people see things differently, but hopefully an organization has put people in those places that they trust and value their opinions. Evaluation rubrics are routinely used in an attempt to standardize and quantify evaluations across several different people and, when done right, work pretty well.

As far as hanging Bishop out to dry, if you trade Hawk and Bishops assignments, you put Hawk on a TE who is probably slower than the RB he would normally be covering. Putting Bishop on an even faster player than he was covering before. Trading assignments for Hawk and Bishop would have been even more disastrous. The only option I saw was to either live with it or pull Bishop on passing downs. So Bishop could sit during nickel downs and we could put someone faster in for him.

I would want my best cover guy on the likes of a Jimmy Graham, Gronkoski, Finley, Gates, etc. every time. Sure, running backs like Sprole's and Forte are a threat, but great tight ends are clearly a higher priority as they more commonly have huge impacts on the passing game. It's not all about speed at all. If that's the case, Sam Shields would almost never get beat.

To look at the difference in passing stats, look at it like that was a whole game by a QB. If they had a game like Bishop gave up, they would have been as good as Rodgers. If a QB had a game like Hawk gave up, he would be like Matt Hasselbeck. 77% completions and more than 25% over 20 yards. That says a lot.

Is this based off the subjective passing stats by Raashan again? Or the fact that Bishop gave up 9 / 16 = 0.56 plays of 20+ yards per game vs. Hawks 5 / 16 = 0.31? Again, the information I've seen just isn't concrete enough for me to be as confident as you, that's all, especially in a season where several player's regressed. There's no reason to believe the likes of Williams, Bishop, Shields, Raji, etc. won't play better this season. If not, well, perhaps they need to be replaced. I applaud you for being so strong in your convictions, but I just haven't been convinced . . . yet. I think a recurring theme in my head as I go through this thread is that Bishop likely isn't quite as bad as you seem to think over his career and Hawk isn't quite as bad as other seem to think. I can live with that.