Pack93z
11 years ago

A tad bit of a deceiving thread headline.

"Under Contract." This Is My Last Season With The Packers Under Contract."

I personally am not pissed at Greg for stating what he did. I am sure he did not call a press conference, my guess is he responded to a question from a scribe. His response is just fine. He states he does not want to let it get him out of his focus, which is on the up coming season and doing what he has been doing for six years.

We all, from time to time, including me, forget this is a business, and it could be his last chance to solidify his family's financial future in a profession that only gives one a short time to accomplish that.

It is all good.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

My comments on it were with regards to timing and tone.. it is honestly a brilliant timed comment for him.. but not indicative of a team player.

July 25th, 2006 he signs a 4 year deal worth 2.85 Millions over the 4 years... obviously he out played those numbers.

June 23rd, 2009, mind you over a year prior to the end of that deal, the Packers renegotiated that deal, basically buying out 2 of those value years for the Packers to be fair to Jennings. That deal increased his 2009 pay to 8.122 Million with a balance paid out each season of 5.36,7.53,7.33 Million per season.

The Packers could have rode out that first deal and franchised him or what not under the CBA that was in play at the time because he would have been a RFA.

The Packers didn't do that, they were fair and loyal to Jennings. So why take the approach of stating it as such, a very pinpointed PR wording to prompt focus on his situation.

I have been critical of Aaron Rodgers at times for statements he has made, but one thing you cannot brow beat him for is the way he is dealing with his contract today which is way below market value. He knows that it will take care of itself one way or another, so why try and make a point of it in any fashion.

Jennings is going to get paid.. whether it is here or elsewhere, so why the need to say anything other than to draw attention to it?

RP.. I disagree, that statement has a PR move all over it.. sure he probably didn't have a presser to discuss it, but he certainly had a prepared method to answer the question that was sure to be asked. And we know the agents feed the reporter story angles all the time, I would not put it past an agent to prompt the question.

I am not mad at him.. or really disappointed in him, but I think the timing and tone of the response isn't something that is going to benefit the Packers this season. Nothing more.. nothing less.

Greg has been taken care of.. but by the tone, it is apparent he doesn't remember the Packers were "loyal" to him at one point as well.

It is a business.. no doubt about it, but business relationships are not just one sided. That statement had a one sided slant to it.. all about taking care of Greg.

And the first alligator arm attempt, it will lead to a question of whether it is just Greg taking care of Greg.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago
I totally see where you're coming from, Pack93z. And yes, I'd like much better from one of my fave players.

However, football players are young and stupid. I'm thinking of myself at 28, and had I had his talent, it would have been EASY to be manipulated by an agent for everything I'm worth. Keep in mind, these agents get paid on commission basis. The more money they can squeeze out of a man, the better.

There's a special place in Hell for people like Drew Rosenhaus. I just did a google search for Eugene E. Parker and guess what I found out about him...

He's Mr. Rookie Holdout. He had Suh holdout and also had Michael Crabtree holdout. He's also the long-time client to Deion Sanders (one of my favorite all-time players to watch, and admittedly, a guilty pleasure as Sanders is a head case) and even inducted Sanders into the Hall of Fame, which is pretty scary. Don King, anyone?

The more I read about Parker, the more he seems like Drew Rosenhaus. I don't like him already. It's a shame that he's Gregorious' agent.

Now I take back what I said up above. Gregorious won't be a Packer in 2013. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that Cobb or Boykin develop into something special.

EDIT: Great. Just found out that he's also Cedric Benson's agent too. So I wonder if Parker's using Gregorious to get back at 🇹🇹 for the "crappy" deal he had to make to get Benson a Packer.

And yes, I DO believe some agents are that assholish.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
11 years ago
I really don't think it is a poor move for him on a personal level.. for himself I think the timing is brilliant.

I just think it colors him as a me first players and if we struggle may become something to pine against.

More or less.. I think there are times to make personal agenda statements for a team that has Superbowl aspirations.

Now is not one of them.

He has made more than 30 million for his career.. it isn't like he doesn't have security. So what is enough?

Someone like Grant coming into the 2008 season.. where a holdout was the only way he was going to secure financial security for himself.. fine. A UDFA that really hadn't been paid yet.

Greg, other than a major injury, is going to get paid. I just don't see the value in making this statement now.

That is if your real goal is winning a championship. My view.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Oh I completely agree. I'm just under the impression he's being played like a marionette by his agent.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago
Wait, there's "Loyalty" in the NFL? That's news to me.

Why SHOULDN'T Jennings pursue as much money as the market allows him to get away with? I may wish he wouldn't do so, but I can't blame him for it. He has every right to do do. It has nothing to do with loyalty, imo. More power to you, Jennings.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Wait, there's "Loyalty" in the NFL? That's news to me.

Why SHOULDN'T Jennings pursue as much money as the market allows him to get away with? I may wish he wouldn't do so, but I can't blame him for it. He has every right to do do. It has nothing to do with loyalty, imo. More power to you, Jennings.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Completely hypothetical situation...

Would you rather have?
A. $100 million and 1 SB Ring
B. $30 million and 3 SB Rings

Guys in their 20s would often pick A. Guys in their 40s (long retired) would often pick B.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Would you rather have?

Guys in their 20s would often pick A. Guys in their 40s (long retired) would often pick B.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

If I had no kids, Option B. Being father to several girls and helping family and friends out quite a bit, I'd side with Option A because of what I'd be able to offer many family and friends.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
11 years ago

Would you rather have?

Greg already has one Super Bowl ring, and may have another after 2013 and after being tagged. Also, who's to say he's going to go to a team that has no chance to compete? If he's a free agent, that's his choice. There could be a team like the Panthers, Saints, Ravens, Seahawks, etc. etc. that would be willing to pay him and may be serious contenders at that time. It's not that black-and-white.
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Yes, it's not that black & white, but losing teams are more often than not desperate for superstars and are more willing to pay the big $$$.

Zero - I understand. But tell me, what will you have to give up if you only had $30 million? Or is it because people with money have to feed their starving relatives? (This isn't being sarcastic. The second question is very common among lottery winners).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Yes, it's not that black & white, but losing teams are more often than not desperate for superstars and are more willing to pay the big $$$.

Zero - I understand. But tell me, what will you have to give up if you only had $30 million? Or is it because people with money have to feed their starving relatives? (This isn't being sarcastic. The second question is very common among lottery winners).

No one expects me to give them anything, so it's not like that. I have one cousin who actually does, but have since stopped talking to her. I'm open to help any family member, but when it becomes "expected" that I drop everything for them and bail them out... I kind of feel taken advantage of.

Honestly, I really cannot quantity $30 million vs $100 million. I've had a dream for years if I won the lottery I'd spend a year or two going from city to city donating portions of it to establishments that help less fortunate kids. In my mind, $100 million would do that better than $30 million because I could even build a place for less fortunate people to live in and maintain and help teach them trades for them to earn employment. I don't feel we do enough for our own citizens in this country and rather than being someone who whines about it, I want to be someone who does something about it.

So, I see it more or less like this. Are two Super Bowl wins worth $70 million if I have one already? What can I do with the two rings vs what can I do with $70 million?

I wouldn't blame Greg Jennings for leaving for more money. He's a father of several girls and he's a huge fashion freak. Do I want him gone? No, because then I have to make a new signature and the Packers lose a solid weapon. I used to consider him a top 10 receiver, but I feel he's more top 20 now and if he's demanding $10 million or more per season ... see ya later buddy. Of course, if the Packers pay him that much, I'll still have my favorite Packers player on the team and won't complain. Then again, if we lose someone like Raji or Matthews because of it ... I won't be happy. I'd rather the latter two than Jennings.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.