DarkaneRules
11 years ago
"Do I want to leave? Absolutely not. This is No. 1 choice. The reality of it is I don't know my future. Like you (Davis) said, you've been through it. It's tough when you've put in so much time, but hey, we still got time."

hopefully this wasn't quoted before
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Porforis
11 years ago

Wait, there's "Loyalty" in the NFL? That's news to me.

Why SHOULDN'T Jennings pursue as much money as the market allows him to get away with? I may wish he wouldn't do so, but I can't blame him for it. He has every right to do do. It has nothing to do with loyalty, imo. More power to you, Jennings.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Personally, I think it's stupid because he already has tons of money, and I'd rather have a second ring than a few more million.
Pack93z
11 years ago

Wait, there's "Loyalty" in the NFL? That's news to me.

Why SHOULDN'T Jennings pursue as much money as the market allows him to get away with? I may wish he wouldn't do so, but I can't blame him for it. He has every right to do do. It has nothing to do with loyalty, imo. More power to you, Jennings.

Greg is the one that brought "Loyalty" into the conversation through his comments. Read those comments and tell me they aren't scripted in a PR sense to position Greg has a loyal Packer player and garner public attention to his contract negotiation.

That is all I am saying.. nothing more.

If you (Greg) are going to play the loyalty card.. then lets look at the complete picture.

Like I said, I have one thing on my mind, that's football this year with this team that I've been loyal to for six years. I'm a realist. I don't put it past anyone. This organization has to do what it has to do for itself and I have to do what I have to do for Greg.

Greg Jennings wrote:

I can't blame anyone for getting what they can get.. I happen to think the timing is poor for the Packers (good for Greg).

30 Million already.. I think he has security. Just me.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
11 years ago

Personally, I think it's stupid because he already has tons of money, and I'd rather have a second ring than a few more million.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

That's fine, but perhaps he disagrees. Plus, are you admitting that he will not get a 2nd ring this season? The one in which he will still be a member of the Packers? At worst, he may still be a Packer for two more seasons because even if a long-term extension can't be worked out, he may get the franchise tag for a season. As Zero mentioned, is the chance of another ring worth losing however many millions the difference may be? Also, as I said previously, there's no guarantee Greg would be forfeiting his chances of winning another ring simply because he doesn't stay with the Packers. The Packers have won how many Super Bowls in the past 15+ years? Perhaps he could find a team with an equal or better chance of winning the Super Bowl in a few years than the Packer's. Why shouldn't he test those waters?

Greg is the one that brought "Loyalty" into the conversation through his comments. Read those comments and tell me they aren't scripted in a PR sense to position Greg has a loyal Packer player and garner public attention to his contract negotiation.

If you (Greg) are going to play the loyalty card.. then lets look at the complete picture.

"Pack93z" wrote:

My loyalty comments weren't direct at Greg or the Packer's, specifically. Only a generalization that there is truly no such thing as "loyalty" in the NFL; only organizations paying players that they think give them the best chance at winning . . . as it should be. Driver is a perfect example of that presently. The Packer's aren't keeping him due to his "loyalty" to the Packers. They are paying him because they think he will help them win. Greg hasn't been "loyal" at all, he's simply been fulfilling his legally binding contractual obligation to his employer. I don't like his comment, but it is what it is.

I can't blame anyone for getting what they can get.. I happen to think the timing is poor for the Packers (good for Greg).

30 Million already.. I think he has security. Just me.

"Pack93z" wrote:

Again, of course that sounds like security to those of us who don't make that kind of money. But relatively speaking, Greg likely wants to get paid as much as the current market for his services can yield, and like others playing the same position will undoubtedly yield (several of perhaps lesser talent). Just because you, me, or anyone else thinks he should be happy with whatever money he has previously received really has no influence on Greg's opinion. After all, I'm sure there are plenty of people around the world who think making a $30-50,000/year salary is plenty of security, yet most of those making that much still hope to pursue and earn more, if possible. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying that Greg and others like him would be doing nothing different than any of us would do. It's just on a different order of magnitude, but it's all relative to those actually in the NFL.
play2win
11 years ago
Not For Long... so true.

I always look to two different players with a huge impact on our team historically, LeRoy Butler and Desmond Howard. Both had a major impact upon our team in '96-97 while winning SB XXXI. I do think Des wishes he would have stayed for a dynasty run v. taken the cash with OAK. LeRoy was the opposite. He always sacrificed for the team, taking less so that GB could sign more. LeRoy will always be the epitome of loyal to GB, in a league where there is no loyalty, or very little of it. Somehow, I do find GB to be more of an exception with regards to loyalty. Yet, they have to make their pure business decisions to keep us moving forward.

Hopefully, we can get something worked out with Greg Jennings. Great guy. Great Packer. He should be with this team for his entire career, but he's too good, and will command top cash in FA. Unless he has a change of heart, we may have to let him walk in a couple of years or less. Next man up.

I know I will not begrudge Jennings if he decides to walk from GB for more money, but, I will think it to be more mistake than prudent on his part. As mentioned, he could win 2 more SBs with us if we franchise him next year. That would not suck.
Pack93z
11 years ago

Again, of course that sounds like security to those of us who don't make that kind of money. But relatively speaking, Greg likely wants to get paid as much as the current market for his services can yield, and like others playing the same position will undoubtedly yield (several of perhaps lesser talent). Just because you, me, or anyone else thinks he should be happy with whatever money he has previously received really has no influence on Greg's opinion. After all, I'm sure there are plenty of people around the world who think making a $30-50,000/year salary is plenty of security, yet most of those making that much still hope to pursue and earn more, if possible. I'm not calling anyone out, I'm just saying that Greg and others like him would be doing nothing different than any of us would do. It's just on a different order of magnitude, but it's all relative to those actually in the NFL.

I get the league vs the real world mindset, and that he should be looking to collect as much as he can get.

But just because I think he should go after that money, that shouldn't clear him of any due criticism for his comment or the timing of the comments to the team he claims he is loyal to.

But the reality here is, one his comments do no one but Greg any good.

Two, 30 millions spends that same if you are in the league or not. It matters not how it is earned.

You are going to get paid with or without your comments, unless you sustain a career threatening injury.

So it comes down to this.. he wants the Packers to ink him to another extension so he can cash in on more guaranteed money. After that.. it is all relative as he is going to get paid.

So his comments again were strategic in nature, and they help his cause. But, as in life, there is always another aspect to all actions. His comments do nothing positive for the Packers this season.

Nothing.

And just as I agreed that it is his right to grab what he can, he should be able to be criticized for it.

I just don't get why we are so quick to defend millionaires that flaunt their greed openly.. and we accept it easily because they play a game for our entertainment.

What he said is not the end of the world.. probably not overly impacting on the Packers this season. But it opens the door.. and my comment is why?

What is your end goal?

We treat athletes like gods.. we accept that they should be paid through the nose to play a game. A game in the end funded by us.

And we continue to accept it.

As long as we continue to accept it.. the system will not change.

And this isn't just a player comment.. but owners as well. One might want to roll in the NFL front office and refs as well.

Sorry, the separation between athletes and us in the real world isn't anything more than a perception. An allowed one by us the fans.

They are just human, they just happen to play in a league where they are grossly overpaid. And more often than not gripe about it.

So yes.. I think his comments should be open for criticism. They more than likely will change nothing alone, but I refuse to just say it is acceptable.

For me.. there is a separation... what they do on the field and how they handle themselves off the field.

While I will continue to enjoy his play on the field, in the balance sheet of life.. this is just a entry in the debit column for me. Nothing more.. and speaking of reality, my thoughts on the topic really hold no weight in any matter.

But I still don't have to like it or accept it freely and openly.

In my eyes, he is due some criticism for his choice. That is it.

And yes.. I have wasted far to much time on the topic already because again, my sole opinion matter not.

But I will be damned if I am going to treat the players as Gods. Because they are not.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
11 years ago
Bill Michaels  often talks about Rodgers comments upon his contract after Braun signed his long term deal.

I am going to partially paraphrase here.. but Rodgers basically stated.

"How much it too much? I never want to get too much so I can't put players around me."

That to me is an healthy attitude for both parties.

Jennings is not.

Sorry.. I had to mention that again.. for a QB, Rodgers is okay. 😉
doddpower
11 years ago
Pack93z, that was probably the most difficult post I have ever read. What's with each sentence being it's on paragraph there buddy!! C'mon now!! heh heh. It makes it incredibly difficult to read. Constructive criticism I promise!

As to the point, I have no idea where the athletes being treated like Gods perception comes from. I certainly haven't alluded to it, nor do I view them that way. I consider myself to be a realist. I'm not necessarily "accepting" any alleged "greed" on the part of Jennings. I do, however, accept the reality of the NFL. For better or worse, that reality is that a player such as Jennings can exercise his right to say as he wishes and pursue as much money as he deems necessary. Obviously the public is able to criticism him, but that's not going to change his actions. It is what it is. Ultimately, it's all going to come down to the play on the field.

As for what his purpose is, I have no idea. I would like to watch him say it as opposed to just reading it. I don't think these comments or even some others are going to have any effect on the Packer's whatsoever, so that's a non-issue for me. His comments may not be acceptable to you, but that doesn't mean he can't say what he feels. We all react and think differently. I'm not defending Greg, I'm just playing devils advocate, if you will. I just don't see any big issue with anything that has happened so far, and I'm sure the front office doesn't either . . . at least not yet. Sure, his comments might not do anything to help the Packer's this season, but nothing he's going to say to the media will. The only that's going to help the Packer's win a Super Bowl is his play on the field, of which I have little doubts about. Play like a super star, and insignificant comments such as these are going to be quickly forgotten. Money spends the same everywhere, true, but Jennings ultimate goal is to be paid like the other "star" WR's in the league . . . and he should be. I don't have to like it, but it is the reality of the situation. I would be perfectly fine with Jennings having a monster season, becoming the Super Bowl MVP, and then leaving for big money elsewhere. In fact, that'd be great because it'd mean the Packer's won another Super Bowl! I'd take that situation even with more comments throughout the season. I know it's not one or the other, but I'm only making a point.

I think I had other thoughts, but I can't remember from your post, LOL.
Pack93z
11 years ago
Yeah, I deserved the comment on the sentences. Fair enough.

And no, I don't think you have painted them as Gods, but that is what I perceive the common mindset to be when discussing the contract demands of pro athletes. Fair market value, get what you can get, well so and so got this amount of money in justifying the money they are going to get paid while they are griping about having to wait. Your comment in the context sense that somehow 30 millions is different to him than any other human being feed that God comment.

My point is this, you can accomplish becoming rich without coming off as a me first athlete. To me, his comments read as that.

If we pony up for Greg or he walks someplace else with a fat bankroll, any comment any of us make matters not. Hell nothing we say here probably has any effect in the big scheme of it all.That still doesn't mean we can't comment on it, criticize it, or discuss it. He or any other player is human, that makes it relative to us. So being told why discuss or criticize it because it isn't going to affect it, isn't prudent in my thought... does anything we really talk about going to change anything?

BTW.. I thought there was a change recently to the site and the sizing, so I have been breaking down my thoughts more individually for ease as the smaller text in paragraphs were hard upon the eyes. However somehow I adjusted the zoom on the site specifically after looking after your complaint. Here is it my issue, however I have grown so accustom to changes often here, that I wrote it off as a Zero adjustment and making the changes for my selfish needs. LOL... so your criticism had a positive impact. 🙂
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

BTW.. with the recent change to smaller text, large paragraphs are hard on my eyes, hence the broken down posts for my ease. Selfish bastage I am I know, but I am aging. lol.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

What change to smaller text? When did this change occur? Are you talking about the site?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.