Zero2Cool
11 years ago
If the ball is at the numbers, no damn excuses, none whatsoever. Does a 10 yard pass need to be drilled, no, but if its in the numbers, no excuse if its not caught. None.

If the quarterback throws the ball and the receiving individual gets both hands (palms not just finger tips) on the ball, no damn excuses.

UGH!!! I hate this excuse! When someone whined about the ball being thrown too hard, next played I threw it even harder. My daughters are still upset about that. I'm kidding that was during high school days. 🙂 But I still hate using velocity as an excuse for a drop. HATE IT.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago
A little late response to the fumbling portion of this thread but there really isn't much more Finley can do there to defend that punch by Tillman. Tillman is one of the best in the league for that move and he did it at a perfect time. Finley had just caught the ball and was looking to turn up field. He had the ball properly tucked, imo. Tillman is just that good at punching the ball out...seen it to many times not to credit him for it more so than discredit Finley for not properly holding the ball.

The drops are the real problem here. Not his fumbles and definitely not his attitude. He isn't "Packer people" as everyone would say but he also isn't a problem. His attitude and the way he carries himself would most likely be widely accepted by the fans...if he caught the damn ball.

The Packers aren't going to give up on Finley. They have more patience than us fans do.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
11 years ago
Also, it's not like Finley is the WORST tight end in the league.

He just has a BIG MOUTH that NEEDS to be backed up by his own play for a change.
Talk is cheap.
SHOW us that you should be considered "elite".
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
I'm not saying he's necessarily throwing it too hard.

I'm just starting to think maybe there's something about the way the ball comes out. I caught for some really good pitchers in high school. There was one dude who had this weird pitch he called a change up. If you were the batter, it would curve and seem to come right at you. But there was a bizarre 3-D effect. The ball would be about 1/3 of the way towards you, then suddenly it would be THERE.

I don't know what it is with Rodgers. But I DO know that multiple players have had difficulty catching his passes, over multiple years. Just makes me wonder, that's all.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
11 years ago
When it comes to drops, there are understandable drops, and those that are not. Against SF, the drop that hit him in the gut, not acceptable.

Against the Bears, he is laying out on a hard pass with Briggs undercutting and obstructing the view some. While it would be nice for him to catch it. It is understandable if they don't all the time. You take any of our other TE, and they don't even touch that ball. It took Finley's athleticism to even be able to get his hands on the ball. It would have been a highlight reel catch. That one I don't really fault Finley for not making the catch.

The well it hit his hands so he should have caught it thinking, doesn't always work. Look at the SB. With Brady and Welker, it touched his hands so he should have caught it? No, it took an incredible play to spin get in position to even be able to jumpt to touch it. It should have been thrown better.

As for his fumble. It was punched out, by a player that is even better at doing that than Woodson. He caugth the ball with his hands (as we want him to do). He is turning and starting to run as bringing the ball in to his body to tuck, and happens to do it into Tillman. When Woodson does that to an opponent, it is a great play by him. It was a great play by Tillman as well.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I'm not saying he's necessarily throwing it too hard.

I'm just starting to think maybe there's something about the way the ball comes out. I caught for some really good pitchers in high school. There was one dude who had this weird pitch he called a change up. If you were the batter, it would curve and seem to come right at you. But there was a bizarre 3-D effect. The ball would be about 1/3 of the way towards you, then suddenly it would be THERE.

I don't know what it is with Rodgers. But I DO know that multiple players have had difficulty catching his passes, over multiple years. Just makes me wonder, that's all.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

So you're not saying the ball is being thrown too hard, you're saying Aaron Rodgers delivery style makes it difficult for the receivers to make a catch? That I could understand. I had guys telling me the ball appeared to pick up speed after it left my hand which made it difficult to time the hands catch. I can only imagine the vast difference for a professional athlete.

I still firmly believe if you get two hands on the ball, it should be caught, regardless of delivery style or velocity.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

I still firmly believe if you get two hands on the ball, it should be caught, regardless of delivery style or velocity.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

So you are saying you had about a half dozen completions in high school then. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago

If the ball is at the numbers, no damn excuses, none whatsoever. Does a 10 yard pass need to be drilled, no, but if its in the numbers, no excuse if its not caught. None.

If the quarterback throws the ball and the receiving individual gets both hands (palms not just finger tips) on the ball, no damn excuses.

UGH!!! I hate this excuse! When someone whined about the ball being thrown too hard, next played I threw it even harder. My daughters are still upset about that. I'm kidding that was during high school days. 🙂 But I still hate using velocity as an excuse for a drop. HATE IT.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

One of my best friends at my first high school (we moved around a lot) was the #2 WR. He was slow as a guy with one leg, but he did ONE thing well - he caught the ball.

He used to have the QB practice throwing the ball as hard as he could from 10 yards away and he never dropped it. Never.

He took pride in that.

One time, we were playing touch football in the off-season on the street. Someone accidentally tripped him. We were all friends so I'm very sure it was an accident.

Anyways, I was QB. I drove down to the 5 yard line and we had 4th down (we played 3 completions is a first and you only get one first down each drive so you couldn't play pussy ball and throw 1 yard completions all day long).

He looked at me with that look, even though his hands were literally still bleeding. He went to the back of the end zone. I threw a bullet. He still caught it, and got blood all over the football. But he still caught it.

AND, he wasn't wearing gloves.

So when I hear a receiver make an excuse, I get really, really pissed off. We were HS kids, not professionals. NONE of us made the NFL. A few of us played college. So, NONE of us ever got paid.

Yet, we still caught the damn ball. Without gloves.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
11 years ago

He was slow as a guy with one leg, but he did ONE thing well - he caught the ball.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Have you ever raced a one legged man? Your about to try and outrun one.. lol. [boxing]

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Have you ever raced a one legged man? Your about to try and outrun one.. lol. [boxing]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Heh. I was about to write "slow as molasses" but only Southerners would get that reference. Sorry amigo. I should choose my words more carefully.

As for running, right now, injured. My son is running Cross Country and I TRIED to keep up with them for 3 miles and my calf went out.

So right now, you'll do circles around me.

(If the zombie plague started today, I'd be a liability).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (7h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (11h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (11h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.