Cheesey
11 years ago
But how many times has a "touch pass" where a guy seems WIDE open gets picked off by a LB that's closes fast?
I'd rather see Aaron Rodgers zip it in then try too much to finesse the ball in.
In the end, it's the receiver's job to catch and protect the ball.
That's why they get millions of dollars each year. To be the BEST at what they do.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

Anyone who has been on this forum for more then 5 years knows R.P. has, and always will be the one of the biggest Rodgers fan in the universe. Have been since he was drafed. I have taken the hate for loving his stash and arm especially in the two years after he was drafted.

HOWEVER... As far as drops...

I think Aaron tends to love his arm more then his receivers do. I know I have seen many times, where Arron has fired a Nolan Ryan Fast ball on a slant over the middle that would have been dropped by Honus Wagner (The greatest Short Stop in baseball history.) if he was holding a 4 foot wide fishing net.

Brett did the same thing all the the time and broke many fingers in camp, as well as causing drops on game day in the regular season.

Some times drops are not all about the receiver, and can be attributed to the passer.

I would love to see Aaron, when he sees a target coming over the middle, WIDE OPEN... Just take a little off the velocity.

There is a time to fire it, and there is a time to lay it in there a little softer. Just like the nurse hands off a new born child to the father.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

I agree with RP. If it was just ONE guy dropping the ball, it would be different. But this is multiple guys, over multiple years. Aaron Rodgers is the only common denominator.

Maybe the need to get down how they're gonna throw it. Like sometimes in practice he throws it softer, so they guys during games aren't sure what to expect. I don't know.

But it's something they should look at, imo. This has gone on too long.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RaiderPride
11 years ago

But how many times has a "touch pass" where a guy seems WIDE open gets picked off by a LB that's closes fast?
I'd rather see Aaron Rodgers zip it in then try too much to finesse the ball in.
That's why they get millions of dollars each year. To be the BEST at what they do.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Cheesey... I get where you are coming from. Fine point....

However..

Arron Rodgers is a physical and cerebral freak when it comes to playing and THINKING during the game. He is on top of the mental knowledge, tactics, game plans, odds, and chance of success against any formation and defensive coordinator's on field presentation of a formation at the line of scrimmage that has been inserted into the National Football League.

Aaron always knows "IF" there is a L.B. closing fast.

That is when he puts a little juice on the pass.

My point is he does not need the juice as often. Especially since he is special, and can see the whole field better then almost evey QB in the NFL.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Cheesey
11 years ago
That's true Rick.
I look back at the super bowl season, and think of how many times Aaron Rodgers zipped the ball into a spot where had he thrown it any slower, it would have been knocked down by a defender. That split second made a difference between a INT or a knocked down pass, and made more "highlight" reels then i could count.
Maybe Aaron Rodgers is so used to doing that, that he THINKS he has to do it that way all the time.

Also, his timing seems to be just a hair off so far this year. If he can get that back, which i think he can, it will make a big difference.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
Assigning partial blame to a QB... my type of thread.

UserPostedImage

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

+1 to Cheesey.

I love you RP, but gotta disagree with you here. But not just a minor disagreement. This is a MAJOR disagreement for me.

The receivers' job is to catch the **** ball. 🇦🇷 may have the strongest arm in football, but catch the ball. Back in James Lofton's day, they didn't wear gloves. Now they do.

There IS no legitimate excuse. You're wearing gloves. The skin's not gonna come off your hand like it will in the old days.

If I'm paying a model $250 an hour, she better look **** good. If I'm an owner paying a receiver several million dollars a year, he better catch the **** ball.

Do your job. Don't make excuses.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
Finley hasn’t helped his cause 

One of the reasons the Packers signed tight end Jermichael Finley to just a two-year contract this offseason was because they wanted to see if he would mature on and off the field.

And one of the reasons Finley agreed to such a short deal was because he figured if he played well, his next contract would be even bigger.

The $14 million deal was seemingly a safe move for both sides.

So far, though, Finley has done little to help his cause.

After dropping a team-high 11 passes last season, he dropped three more in the first two games of 2012. He also lost a fumble deep in Chicago territory in Thursday’s win over the Bears.

When asked if the Packers still have confidence in Finley, offensive coordinator Tom Clements on Friday said: “Sure, he’s a talented guy, and we’re confident in him. He’s still an integral part of the offense.”

Through two games, Finley has matched Jordy Nelson for a team-high 11 receptions, but he’s averaging just 6.6 yards per catch and has a long reception of only 16 yards with one touchdown catch.

He’s only 25 years old, but it’s worth wondering if he will ever be able to shake the lapses in concentration that cause his drops.

“Everybody’s human,” Clements said. “He made a great catch after he had the turnover in the red zone. That was a very difficult catch. So he has the ability. He has confidence in himself, and we have confidence in him.”

Finley plays with emotion, which he displayed after the Lambeau Field crowd gave him a sarcastic cheer when he made a catch later in the game following the lost fumble. In response, he waved his arms in a move that suggested he wanted the crowd to quiet down

Rob Demovsky wrote:

UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
I think Rodgers does a good job of putting touch on the ball when he needs to, out of the backfield, short crossing route, etc. He doesn't throw any harder than Brett and less than premier receivers caught his. If Aaron Rodgers is throwing to a WR a dozen or more yards downfield that means there's about 20 yards or more of distance. The receiver should catch no matter how hard Aaron Rodgers throws, as long as it's well thrown as far as accuracy. JMHO
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
So the quarterback is throwing too hard? What a bunch of bull! These guys practice with Aaron Rodgers and know his velocity already. What an absurd excuse!! I heard the same damn thing playing in high school and it was BS then and its BS now. Catch the ball with your hands, not your body and this won't be an issue. Focus on catching the ball, not running after the catch and you'll be fine.

If I was their coach, I'd be pointing the jugs machine at them and make them catch 100 balls a day. That goes to WR, RB and TE's. If I had to buy ten damn jug machines, so be it.

It's damn passing league and the part of passing is catching. If you can't do the latter, find a new position or new career.

... ball thrown to hard ... wtf ever
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
UserPostedImage

While it is an excuse.. and really they are suppose to be professional ball catchers.. there are times that ball placement, velocity and rotation leading to increasing the difficulty of the catch falls upon the QB.

Good luck getting a single one of those pricks to admit it.. but not all drops are direct fault of the target.

Just as not all sacks or pressure is due to the inabilities of an offensive line.. or the impact it has upon the throw.

Sometime.. just sometimes.. it lies upon the feet of the glory boy.

Now.. drops like Finley's week one.. I don't see how any blame can reside upon the velocity of thy ball. That is a flat out lack of concentration upon the primary task.. securing the catch.

If anything, I would place more blame on the scheme of the offense over the delivery of Rodgers passes. The scheme is predicated on producing after the catch.. basically the route trees are designed more often than not to allow the receiver to make a play after the catch, thus maybe posing as a distraction to the receiver than in more traditional stick type routes where the route is designed with the concept of picking up the yardage with the route and anything other than that is a bonus. Most of our routes are options routes, depending on the defensive coverage and the read, that as well absorbs a little more of the concentration of the receiver.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (29m) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (21h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (22h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.