MintBaconDrivel
11 years ago

Green Bay Packers NFL Draft prospect profile: DE Margus Hunt Player Information: Margus Hunt, DE Southern Methodist 6-8, 277 pounds Hometown: Karksi-Nuia, Estonia STATS NFL Combine: 40 yard: 4.66 Bench Press: 38 Vertical: 34.5″ Broad: 121.0″ 3 Cone: 7.07″ Shuttle: 4.51 News and Notes: One of the more interesting stories of the 2013 NFL draft, the 25-year [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

nerdmann
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Packers_RSS 

He's a 4-3 end.

Too small to play DE in our system, too raw to play OLB.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
11 years ago
I think he'd make a fine 3-4 end with some time in the system to develop, especially at 6-8 277. But then, I'm a big fan. I really want for the Packrrs to draft and develop players with his kind of size. He's one of my draft hopefuls.
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
6-8 277, wow, wonder how tough he is with O=lineman chopping him at his knees?

I like this guy
Big John ran a very so so 5.3 40 at the combine, might make him fall to Packers, he's more the right size.
Would fill the need of rotational help at DT.

Johnathan Hankins, DT, JR(RS), 6'3, 322 -
Big John Hankins has commanded respect and double teams all season long from every team the he faced and yet he has still produced, recording 55 tackles, 4 for loss and one sack. Hankins is used mostly to clog up the middle of the field and would be a valuable piece for any team running a 3-4 scheme.

Comparison: B.J. Raji, Green Bay Packers
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Gaycandybacon
11 years ago

He's a 4-3 end.

Too small to play DE in our system, too raw to play OLB.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

No he could play in our system don't let his weight deceive you. He's 6-8 that's fucking tall! He probably weighs more than 277... and 285 plus is good enough to play a 3-4 DE I'm pretty sure he can get up to that. Many analyst's have him as as one of the best 3-4 Ends in the draft. Now he can play 4-3 too. He is very versatile. He benched 38 times and ran a 4.6 40.

NFL.com compared him to Calais Campbell of the Cardinals. And he's a pretty damn good 3-4 DE.
schroeder84
11 years ago
I like this guy. I know the knocks on him are age and experience. However, he hasn't played all that long, so it's a young 25-26. He has also learned to play his position reasonably well in the time he had to learn it.

He may be a bit of a project, but that size, wingspan, speed and overall freakish athletic ability are impossible for me to overlook. He should be able to learn what's required in a reasonable timeframe and cause some serious havoc while he learns.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
walter 

Pass Rush:
NFL prototype: Jared Allen, Vikings
#7 Margus Hunt

Hunt has a lot of upside as a pass-rusher, but he needs more refinement with his moves. He also has to get better about using his hands and feet at the same time.

Run Defense:
NFL prototype: Justin Smith, 49ers
#3 Margus Hunt

Hunt only had 31 tackles this year, but he is very strong at the point of attack. Offensive linemen struggle to move him, and he could get even bigger in the NFL. Hunt went against both guards and tackles.

Motor:
NFL prototype: Jared Allen, Vikings
#6 Margus Hunt

Okafor, Jordan and Hunt all are high-effort players.

Speed:
NFL prototype: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants
#7 Margus Hunt

Hunt has some speed and explosiveness for such a big lineman.

Strength:
NFL prototype: Justin Smith, 49ers

#1 Margus Hunt
Coaches have told me that the NFL is a big man's game and is trending that way with each passing year. Hunt already has NFL strength at 277 pounds, but he could approach 300 in the NFL. There is huge upside with Hunt to be a powerful defender who beats linemen with bull rushes and the strength to toss blockers aside. He already has a nasty bull rush.

REGGIE REGGIE REGGIE!!!!!

Versatility:

NFL prototype: Cameron Wake, Dolphins
#2 Margus Hunt
Hunt is very versatile as well. He can play 4-3 end and move inside to tackle on passing downs. Hunt's best position in the NFL could be as a 3-4 defensive end.

Upside:
NFL prototype: Jason Pierre-Paul, Giants
#5 Margus Hunt

Hunt presents upside and really showed massive improvement from his junior year to the end of his senior season.

Forcing Fumbles:
NFL prototype: Charles Johnson, Panthers

#7 Margus Hunt

Hunt recorded two forced fumbles but finished the year with one coming in his final collegiate game

Daddy can I have one??? PPPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEE!!!!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
walters has him rated as #36. #5 DE on their board. It is not stretch to say that he could be taken at #26. Especially since the DL is so strong in this year's draft.

Projected Round  (2013): 1-2.
3/2/13: The senior started out poorly in 2012 with a bad game against Baylor. He played better after that, including quality showings against Texas A&M, Houston, Southern Miss and TCU. Hunt was a force in SMU's bowl game, picking up two sacks and two forced fumbles. He had 31 tackles, eight sacks, an interception, two passes batted and three blocked kicks in 2012.

Hunt's technique in run defense and executing pass-rushing moves has really improved, but he is still extremely raw. Hunt flashed at times at the Senior Bowl, yet needs some more development for the next level. He could turn into a perfect 3-4 defensive end in the mold of Justin Smith.

Hunt used the Combine to put on a tremendous display of strength, speed and athleticism. He tied for the the bench press lead with 38 reps and ran a lightning 40 time. Hunt gave further proof that he is a freak athlete.

8/27/12: Hunt is a physical freak. The Karksi-Nuia, Estonia product is a raw player who really came on strong at the end of his junior season. He recorded all three of his sacks for 2011 against Pittsburgh in the Bowl game. Hunt also had 28 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss. He totaled 5.5 sacks across his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Hunt uses his height to be a dangerous weapon on special teams. He blocked seven kicks as a freshman, three kicks as a sophomore and four kicks as a junior. It is entirely possible that the senior could end his college career with nearly 20 blocked kicks. Hunt may be best as a five-technique defensive end in a 3-4 defense for the NFL.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (16h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.