MintBaconDrivel
11 years ago

Green Bay --- As of Friday evening, the odds of Sam Shields being back with the Green Bay Packers looked pretty good.

The restricted free agent was given a second-round tender by the Packers which, if Shields signs the deal, is good for $2.023 million over one season. Shields has until 10:59 (CST) Friday to sign an offer sheet with another team. So far, according to a source, Shields has not signed any offer sheets.

JSOnline  wrote:

Pack93z
11 years ago
This is one guy that I figured on the RFA market that might snag an offer... maybe one that toyed with the Packers cap space this year or something..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DoddPower
11 years ago

This is one guy that I figured on the RFA market that might snag an offer... maybe one that toyed with the Packers cap space this year or something..

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Perhaps that's why the Rodgers deal isn't finished yet, as the Packers will likely be tight against the salary cap after extending Rodgers and signing the rookie class. It could make them vulnerable to RFA offers for Shields as teams would know the Packers wouldn't have as much flexibility as they currently do. It may sound good in theory, I guess, but anything to do with Sam Shields likely has no impact on resigning Aaron Rodgers.

Laser Gunns
11 years ago
Shields really developed into a solid corner, with him and Hayward, the CB position has a bright future.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Pack93z
11 years ago

Perhaps that's why the Rodgers deal isn't finished yet, as the Packers will likely be tight against the salary cap after extending Rodgers and signing the rookie class. It could make them vulnerable to RFA offers for Shields as teams would know the Packers wouldn't have as much flexibility as they currently do. It may sound good in theory, I guess, but anything to do with Sam Shields likely has no impact on resigning Aaron Rodgers.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Agreed... I don't believe it has anything remotely to do with Rodgers.. if anything, I think actual structure of Rodgers deal not money is what is holding that deal up..

I just think with Shields and a corner hungry league, that he would have drawn an offer... especially with only a 2nd rounder tender and him being only 25. Couple that with a couple years of league experience.

Good for us. Deadline passed.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

The NFL rules state that the league day ends at 4 PM Eastern Time. The deadline for NFL teams to submit offer sheets for other teams' Restricted Free Agents is Friday, April 19th. Cornerback Sam Shields, who received a second-round tender from the Packers, did not get any offer sheets from any other teams by 4 PM Friday. Put that all together and you can see that Sam Shields is now guaranteed to be a member of the Green Bay Packers for the 2013 season.

Shields' current tender will pay him $2.023 million this season if he signs it. Of course, the Packers appear to be interested in signing the young corner to a long-term deal this offseason to keep him in Green and Gold beyond 2013. Any extension would naturally affect his cap hit this year, as it would likely involve a signing bonus and adjustments to Shields' base salary. The good news is that there is no longer a chance of him playing elsewhere this year while Ted Thompson and company work on an extension.

link 

There is no guarantee that Shields plays for GB. He could refuse to sign. I do think they will get a deal worked out. This is good news. I am waiting the great news that he actually inks a 4 year deal.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
Hope he wants to stay in Green Bay.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
11 years ago

Hope he wants to stay in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The man has Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Champions tattooed on his neck. Where else do you think he wants to play?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.