MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Ted Thompson didn't have to do it. Nate Palmer was not going to be drafted. You would be hard pressed to find him breaking the top 400 in anyone's big board or player rankings. Yet, when the Packers' turn came up in the sixth round, they made Palmer the 193rd player drafted. This despite the [...]

JerseyAl  wrote:

texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
Mulumba seems like a lot better prospect to me.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
steveishere
10 years ago
He probably was just their highest rated guy. It isn't just about whether you think a guy is going to go undrafted or last until the next round or not.
steveishere
10 years ago

Mulumba seems like a lot better prospect to me.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

For someone with such terrible production I'll actually have to see something from the guy before I'll start thinking he might be any good.
beast
10 years ago

Nate Palmer was not going to be drafted.

Article wrote:

Packers would have been frontrunners to sign him as an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA), although I can understand not wanting to risk that.

Article wrote:

What risk? He said Palmer wasn't going drafted... if Palmer wasn't going to be drafted then their is no risk.
Those are contradicting statement.

Also I have to say BULL on no one else was going to draft him... you never know.

Like people were surprised the Packers grabbed OG Caleb Schlauderaff from Southern Utah, also in the 6th round. People said the same thing about him, that he might of gone undrafted if the Packers didn't pick him. Well as it turns out, when he failed to make the Packers team, the Jets traded a 7th round pick for him and Rex basically said they were interested in him and wanted him in that draft.

So just because it looks like a guy might go undrafted doesn't mean another team might not of grabbed him if he was still on the board and they had another pick.

Another example is QB Coleman... another team was waiting to sign him as an UDFA and even trying to work out the deal before the draft was over (I think it might of been the Chargers). But as it turns out, he didn't go undrafted, the Packers took him.
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

For someone with such terrible production I'll actually have to see something from the guy before I'll start thinking he might be any good.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Yeah honestly I don't understand why all the hype on Mulumba ... he got bad sack numbers in college... why is he gong to improve in the pros where OTs are bigger, stronger, tougher and better?

UserPostedImage
greengold
10 years ago

What risk? He said Palmer wasn't going drafted... if Palmer wasn't going to be drafted then their is no risk.
Those are contradicting statement.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I read that as risk he would sign elsewhere as an UDFA. But yeah the remote possibility someone else could have drafted him too.

beast
10 years ago

I read that as risk he would sign elsewhere as an UDFA. But yeah the remote possibility someone else could have drafted him too.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

You're right, I read that wrong.

But saying someone wouldn't of been drafted by the other 31 teams still upsets me... because to me that's like saying he didn't deserve to be drafted...

There are 7 rounds (8 if you count the 32 comp picks) and there are probably 10 to 15 rounds of guys who have worked their butts off to get to that point and maybe deserve to be drafted and aren't.

Case and point: Did all these players deserve to be skipped over?

Tramon Williams,
C/G Evan Dietrich-Smith
QB Graham Harrell
P Tim Masthay
CB Sam Shields
S M.D. Jennings
LB Jamari Lattimore
G Don Barclay

And to say they (or a rookie who hasn't yet got his shot) don't/didn't deserve to be drafted feels like a huge slap in the face... they deserve the right to be drafted and Plamer got drafted by one team when people didn't think he would. Who's to say there isn't 2 or 3 more teams that wouldn't of taken him in the 7th round?

Weather he turns out any good or not... he worked his butt off to get to that point, the right to get drafted if any team deemed him worthy enough... at least once did.

And the people that say they know he wouldn't of been drafted by another teams are probably the sames one they knew Rodgers would be picked in the top half of the first round. The same ones that knew Lacy wasn't going to fall passed half way of the 2nd round. The same ones that knew the Packers were going to draft a Safety in the top of the 2013 draft.
UserPostedImage
play2win
10 years ago
Palmer's addition, along with Boddingtom, Malumba, and Terrell Manning is going to make for some great competition. We won't know anything till we see all of them play in preseason. They liked Palmer though, and it is great to finally have some depth at LB. It appears so now anyways.
play2win
10 years ago

Palmer's addition, along with Boddingtom, Malumba, and Terrell Manning is going to make for some great competition. We won't know anything till we see all of them play in preseason. They liked Palmer though, and it is great to finally have some depth at LB. It appears so now anyways.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Too early to tell with many position groups, but there looks to be a lot of promise.

(Oopsheee. Meant to edit...)
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.