all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Haynesworth. Peppers. Suggs. Gross.

All names that various Packer fans want Ted Thompson to sign.

My question is what will it take, strictly contract wise (length, guaranteed money, total amount), to sign one of these premier FAs?

According to Le'roy Butler, it'd take 30 million guaranteed to have a chance at Albert Haynesworth.

On top of that, I think it'd take a 5 year deal, total money around 100 million, 30 million of which would be guaranteed.

I'd like to do some research before coming up with my opinion on other players, but I thought I'd throw this Q out there in the mean time to see what other people are thinking...
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
TheEngineer
15 years ago
While I don't have hard numbers, I'm sure it'll be a massive overpayment, and a financially unsound decision for the Packers. Some fans seem to have trouble over the fact that there's a monetary aspect from signing FA which is just as important as what the player can contribute to the team.
blank
minnypacker
15 years ago
I don't doubt the 30 mil guarenteed, but the 100 mil over 5 seems way over the top. I could see 60 over 5....maybe with 30 guarenteed, but not 100. What is the franchise designation for a DT?

If that is what it would really take, then forget it. It isn't worth it. I'd over pay to get Gross or Peppers, but not Suggs. Haynseworth is difficult because of some minor "history" issues. Does anyone know if any of these guys have tested positive or are involved in a NFL disciple program?

Do we have the players to install a gap sytem to create penetration, or are we pretty much stuck with the system we have and need to hope we can put some better guys in there.

What is evert=yone's thoughts on Chris Canty from Dallas. Could he be a solid DE addition in FA that wouldn't cost us an exorbitant amount?

Unfortunatelly after a 6-10 season, we will have to overpay to get a FA, will Ted Thompson do it? That is the big question we ask daily.
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
It owuld take a GM who wants to do it.
Something the Packers don't have right now.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DanJustDan29
15 years ago
With the exception of a few positions I am not upset with the players we have.

I am upset with how they have been playing compared to how they CAN play. I am also upset with all the injuries we have had.

I don't see a point in going and signing a premier free agent, I would rather give Greg J more money first before signing someone.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Yes, we need to give Aaron Kampman, Nick Collins, Ryan Pickett, and whoever else is a big contributer on our team, money before we go and sign a big FA.

Sign our players to long term contracts first, then go after maybe 1 or 2 free agents.
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
15 years ago
We gotta lock up our guys. Especially Greg Jennings, Nick Collins, and Tramon Williams. Make sure they're playing out their careers in Green Bay.

As for the money, we gotta take note that this is probably going to be the last capped season. So yeah, we gotta throw the money out NOW.

As for the Peppers/Suggs thing, we can get both Bertrand Berry and Chris Canty for cheaper than either of those two players. We know Kampman and Cullen are good, and we just need depth. Peppers is flatout good, and Suggs is quick enough to be both a LB or a DE, and Thompson likes hybrids--so who knows? But I still see it safer to go with those two DE's.

Haynesworth is somebody we have to pick up. Forget the fact that he stepped on somebody, I'd rather have somebody good who steps on people rather than some fatass complaining about backpain. (Rest assured, I do think if Harrell gets over the pain, he's going to be a good player).
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

As for the money, we gotta take note that this is probably going to be the last capped season. So yeah, we gotta throw the money out NOW.

"blueleopard" wrote:

What exactly is a salary cap?
UserPostedImage
blueleopard
15 years ago
You're not being serious, are you?
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

You're not being serious, are you?

"blueleopard" wrote:

I really don't know what a cap is...never really thought about it.

I have a small idea of what it is, but not the hole package, lol.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
jdlax (43m) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (44m) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (44m) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (13h) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.