MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Green Bay Packer coach Mike McCarthy said repeatedly during his Friday news conference that the decision not to play quarterback Aaron Rodgers against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday was made by the organization.

Rodgers is recovering from a fractured left collarbone.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, McCarthy's insistence that the decision was an organizational one came at the prompting of Rodgers and that created some tension between the coach and his starting quarterback.

Mortensen reported his story on ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown."

"A CT scan of Aaron Rodgers' fractured left collarbone still showed extraordinary risk if he returned to the football field today, according to sources," Mortensen said. "So why the emphasis on organizational decision by Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Friday to the point where McCarthy mentioned it eight or nine times by media count? That's because Rodgers insisted vehemently on a message of organizational decision, sources said, with an emphasis that he is a tough guy.

"One source says the quarterback's sensitivity that his injury absence would be compared to Brett Favre's reputation for toughness was a driving force behind McCarthy's message, which created a palpable tension between the coach and the quarterback," Mortensen said. "And sources say McCarthy clearly understood Dr. Patrick McKenzie's unwillingness to give Rodgers medical clearance and there was no real organizational decision about it. It was medical."

Bob Wolfey  wrote:

rabidgopher04
10 years ago
Why not just be honest about it? That the bone isn't yet healed enough to play would sure take the daily drama out of whether or not he is going to play.

I get that he wants to appear tough, but even if Favre had the exact same injury he would not have played. It is what it is.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
nerdmann
10 years ago

Why not just be honest about it? That the bone isn't yet healed enough to play would sure take the daily drama out of whether or not he is going to play.

I get that he wants to appear tough, but even if Favre had the exact same injury he would not have played. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 

The white trash people are going to venerate Favre no matter what. Aaron needs to just get over that.

Aaron needs to get over his needs to one-up Favre, both on and off the field. Forget about Favre's records, forget about his fans. Get on with your own life, dude.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Fuck ESPN
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
El3ment12
10 years ago
What source is Mortenson getting all this from? I don't believe the packers organization wants anything out. Rodgers could be back next week or not till next season. We don't know because they won't tell us.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

What source is Mortenson getting all this from? I don't believe the packers organization wants anything out. Rodgers could be back next week or not till next season. We don't know because they won't tell us.

Originally Posted by: El3ment12 

If this is true, you can bet Aaron Rodgers know by whom. I can't imagine if true that this was spoken in a room full of ears. I'm thinking the coach, the general manager and medical doctor. And we know Ted Thompson is top notch poker face and doctors will not speak so that eliminates McKenzie.

A few of us have outlined the public outbursts of Rodgers aimed at McCarthy in the past ... McCarthy says Rodgers looks ready to play ...

connect
the
dots
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
I'm not sure what the big deal is. Rodgers thinks he is ready to play and the ones in charge of making that decision do not. All Rodgers wants people to know is that he is not in charge of making that decision. Whether its because he doesn't want his toughness questioned or whatever, it does not matter. He wants to play and he thinks he can play. There is not much more that he can do than state that. I don't understand why that should cause friction between Rodgers and McCarthy.

We all know that McCarthy will not come out and say "I want Aaron to start but Ted and the Doctors do not" He will not say that even if he thinks it because it will cause a division. He is probably equally reluctant to say "Aaron wants to play and thinks he is ready but I do not" because that would put him at odds with his star player. About the only thing he can do is try to stay neutral with comments like "he looks ready" Does he think that by him insisting that it was an organizational decision that it implies he was part of that decision when he may not agree with it. That's about the only thing that I think could cause any friction.

Anyway, it looks to me like we are going to see Matt Flynn again next week. If we beat the Bears we MAY see Rodgers and Cobb in the playoffs. I doubt we will see either of them next week. That may have been the plan all along but who knows.
El3ment12
10 years ago

If this is true, you can bet Aaron Rodgers know by whom. I can't imagine if true that this was spoken in a room full of ears. I'm thinking the coach, the general manager and medical doctor. And we know Ted Thompson is top notch poker face and doctors will not speak so that eliminates McKenzie.

A few of us have outlined the public outbursts of Rodgers aimed at McCarthy in the past ... McCarthy says Rodgers looks ready to play ...

connect
the
dots

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm just saying that Mortenson's source is most likely BS.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 years ago
I really don't think Favre has anything to do with it.
I think Rodgers just wants to play, and knows this is a shot at the playoffs and he wants to lead the team.
I believe he'd be like that no matter WHO was the Packer's QB before he became the starter.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (5h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (5h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (5h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (5h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (5h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (8h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (12h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (12h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.