TheEngineer
15 years ago
I don't know, but I really feel optimistic about next season. Of all the problems we've gone through as a team this season, I can't help but feel that all of them are obvious and correctable.

There was a lot of good that happened in a season as bad as 6-10.

Here are some of the positives from this season, in my opinion:

1. Strong play from Aaron Rodgers. I'm not going to debate this point because most people will agree that his statistics are far from mediocre.

2. Continual internal development of positions. This includes the development of Jordy Nelson into a reliable 3rd/4th WR, Jermichael Finley starting to show flashes of his physical ability, Nick Collins finally learning that hands also have fingers, and Tramon Williams showing that there's life after Harris/Woodson.

3. Injuries. How are injuries a good thing, you ask? Well, consider our 2007 season and the fact that we were relatively injury free, and how 2008 was riddled with injuries. Although I have nothing to prove it, I do believe that the fact that we came away so clean in 2007 had two lasting effects - firstly, that staying an additional season injury free is a lot harder due to the rigours of football life, and secondly that players may tend to slightly wane in their preparations, exercising, stretching and what not. Take a look at how many hamstring injuries we had at the start of this season! I fully expect the coaches to drill in better preparation for next season to avoid the type of crippling injuries we suffered this season.

4. Cap space. Jennings didn't want his contract before the deadline in 2008 so we were able to front load a lot of Rodgers' contract. He's set, now we just need to grab Jennings and we'll have two very bright football players' futures locked up. We haven't spent a godawful amount in free agency often, so that route is still viable if and when management decide to pursue that avenue.

5. Maturation of young football players. We have some veterans but no doubt the team is built very young. Of course, this means that there's greater consistency in being able to foster teamwork and relationships early on in a player's career, and certainly allows them to associate off the field if they are closer in the age bracket.

I think there's something to be proud of being able to develop a strong team internally. The Packers need help, that's for sure. But for a 6-10 team, I'm really not too worried.

Also, let's try and leave Favre and the Jets out of this thread if we can.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Don't worry, I'll move any offending posts.
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago
I'll add that the offense of a team that scored the 4th most points in the league (even correcting for the D/ST TDs, that's still good) will return at least 10 of 11 starters depending on Tauscher. Throw in the assumed progression of Jordy and Jermichael as stated above, plus a year under Aaron's belt and this offense stands to be one of the better ones in the league next year. For all the talk about the inconsistent line play and Grant's average year, the offense was STILL one of the best in the league. You can't help but think it will be at least that good next year. That's really encouraging.

And without going into a diatribe, can the defense really get worse? Just bringing back the injured guys and what looks to be a new coordinator has a real strong chance of pushing this defense into a top half of the league D at worst.

Oh, yes. Things are looking on the up and up next year. (And for what it's worth, I may be the world's biggest pessimest/cynic. But I'm also a realist. This team will be good next year.)
blank
shield4life
15 years ago
I'm excited as hell, I also can't wait for the draft 🙂, I have a really good feeling about next year.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Jacob
15 years ago
i always have a really good feeling about every year

gbpfan
15 years ago
I always think s.b for this team each year,and I still think it will come soon,this year may not have,been the best but next year think the team will be very good.
macbob
15 years ago
I'll have to see what offseason changes are made before I have a feeling, good or bad, for next year.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
I do.
If we can get the D and ST fixed (and the O-line) we will have a big year.
UserPostedImage
WhiskeySam
15 years ago
Next year's schedule looks favorable. With some upgrades on the O-line and defense, we could be in the 10-12 win range.
Nemo me impune lacessit
McPack
15 years ago
I'm optimistic about the offense. Defense is in a shambles...I'll defer my optimism to see if we're going to go after any quality free agents, particularly on the D-line.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (13h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (14h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (18h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (18h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.