dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Im doing some research on this but i figured i would just ask here. Alot of posters understand this cap stuff better than me. I heard Mort talking about the Pats and how they are going to Franchise tag Cassell and how they would have $29 million tied up in 2 qbs but the thing is the cap space is going up 123 million per team. If thats true we should have tons of money to spend in Free Agency. It just did sound right to me thats why i figured i would ask here. Like said if it is true Ted Thompson better start spending.

Ok i found this and it says it goes to a minimum of $123 million from $116 million so we will still be way under the cap again so like i said he has no excuses not to go after a FA.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/58422 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
TT spend money on FA's!!!! :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Why would anyone think he is going to change his way of thinking?

It's not about putting together and keeping together a winning team, it's all about being young and full of potential.

PROVE ME WRONG TED AND I WILL BE HUMBLED.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
HoustonMatt
15 years ago
Yes, the numbers you posted are true, but there's something else to consider. The cap is set relative to total league revenue. Of course, not all teams are created equal, so the NY Giants bring in more revenue that the Detroit Lions. Just because the cap is $123 million, doesn't mean that all teams can afford to spend up to that limit. Can the Packers? I'm not sure. You might want to see if you can find team revenue numbers for the past five years in order to determine what would be a reasonable spending limit for 2009. That may be difficult to impossible to find though.

EDIT: Typing "packers revenue" into Google brings up quite a few articles over the past 5-6 years. I won't post them all here, but they show that the Packers are consistently in the top half of the league in terms of revenue and had jumped all the way to #7 as recently as 2006. Now that's a very quick and dirty analysis of the Packers financial constraints, or lack there of, but it would suggest that we don't necessarily have to keep our hands on the purse strings.
blank
dhazer
  • dhazer
15 years ago

Yes, the numbers you posted are true, but there's something else to consider. The cap is set relative to total league revenue. Of course, not all teams are created equal, so the NY Giants bring in more revenue that the Detroit Lions. Just because the cap is $123 million, doesn't mean that all teams can afford to spend up to that limit. Can the Packers? I'm not sure. You might want to see if you can find team revenue numbers for the past five years in order to determine what would be a reasonable spending limit for 2009. That may be difficult to impossible to find though.

"mattresell" wrote:

Matt way i'm reading it that is what the team has to spend the league minimum. I culd be wrong but thats how i read it. Heres another interesting article i found and why Mike McCarthy won't be fired or other coaches. That money would count against the cap and Ted Thompson won't want that.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/14/economy-impacts-coachs-jobs-and-salary-cap/ 
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago

Matt way i'm reading it that is what the team has to spend the league minimum. I culd be wrong but thats how i read it. Heres another interesting article i found and why Mike McCarthy won't be fired or other coaches. That money would count against the cap and Ted Thompson won't want that.

"dhazer" wrote:

You're correct on that. Every team must spend the league minimum, but that number will be far lower than the $123 million cap. In fact, it's usually low enough to be irrelevant. The salary floor is designed to keep teams from fielding $15 million dollar clubs like the Florida Marlins do and then pocketing the shared revenue. The NFL shares a much larger portion of its revenue amongst all 32 teams than does MLB, so the wealthy teams put this floor in to keep the other teams honest.

EDIT: Interesting tidbit from that article. The Giants were $20 million under the cap when they won the Super Bowl. Keep that in mind when you start railing against Ted Thompson because we still have $10 million in unused cap later this offseason. If you can't field a competitive team for $100 million bucks, you're the problem, not the amount of money you spend.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Not exact, but for a rough estimate. The Cap is expected to rise to 123 million. What I have is GB is currently sitting with 90 million of the 2009 cap used. Leaving roughly 30 million. This has not taken into consideration any money moved forward from 2008.

While 30 million sounds like a lot of money, with players that need to be signed, and hopefully extended. the amount left for FA is probably enough for 1 big signing and a couple smaller moves. Unless other moves are made. (ex. cutting clifton would save another 6.3 million), but a replacement would be needed and would offset some of that savings.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
What makes the cap a lot more complex is that you can prorate signing bonus (as the Cowboys do with big time guaranteed money, making payments well into the future after the contract was sign), and you can also carry space into next year by throwing in "likely" to be earned money into the deal via Likely To Be Earned Incentives (IE participate 75% of ST snaps in your star QBs contract, when in fact your QB won't come close to ever playing on ST).

It's a really interesting thing.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

"mattresell" wrote:

I think you misunderstand the article. Coaches salaries don't count against the salary cap. Not at all. But, all coaches salaries are guaranteed. So, since Ted and Mike signed their contract extensions this year, if they were to be fired, they would still receive all the money for the rest of their contract. What the article is implying is that while some teams may be better able to afford firing a coach and paying him the remainder of his salary, some teams (like the Packers) can't afford to throw that money down the toilet, so to speak.
UserPostedImage
HoustonMatt
15 years ago
FYI - If the salary cap is going to be set at $123 million, then the salary floor, defined as 86.4% of the cap, will be $106.2 million. Every team must spend above the floor, but below the cap. Though as AADP points out, there are plenty of ways to "massage" your final numbers to ensure that you are within that range. It's the NFL equivalent of creative accounting. If Andy Fastow weren't locked up, he'd be a helluva a Capologist.
blank
dhazer
  • dhazer
15 years ago
Well Matt im taking the floor being 123 million when they say minimum i would think. Like i said i have very little knowledge of how the cap works.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
CanPackFan (now) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (23h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.