Greg C.
15 years ago
Firing the assistants means that we can expect a very different scheme next year. Since the Packers have been using the Bates scheme, the NFL has continued moving in the opposite direction, with more and more blitzes. Our scheme was looking more outdated every year. Even a 3-4 is possible now.

I don't think McCarthy's job was in jeopardy this year, so I see this move more as a gutsy one rather than an act of desperation. And the off-season just got a lot more interesting.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Ok just cuz its a new year LT doesn't mean you have to keep agreeing with me lol. Just giving you shit i think we could be very active in FA and it will all be from the heat Ted Thompson feels. The fans and board i don't think will accept him not doing anything.

"longtimefan" wrote:

No i am being honest..

I would expect him to do as he always has done..

but I am hearing things that this year he is being felt pressured ( I assume Mark M ) to use FA this year....as getting draft players to be very productive in their 1st year wont work...

also hearing that if they make a huge improvement in 2009, Ted is gone

"dhazer" wrote:

I'm thinking the same thing. Mike McCarthy will be in his 4th year and Ted Thompson in his 5th. The rebuilding phase is over. It is time for the winning phase. If '09 doesn't begin the winning phase, it will begin the polishing resume phase.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not looking this up and doing this from memory (and I'm a recovering crack addict):
2000: 9-7
2001: 12-4
2002: 12-4
2003: 10-6
2004: 10-6
2005: 4-12
2006: 8-8
2007: 13-3
2008: 6-10

So you see, the Packers org is kind of used to winning. Orgs that are used to winning are less tolerant of losing seasons.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
I see some are still blaming the bad kharma on Mike Sherman. :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

I like this move, it gets The Packers one step closer to putting together another winning football team.

That is only going to happen after we all go through another year like 2007 and THE RIGHT HEADS WILL FINALLY ROLL IN GB.

Using most of the D staff as scapegoats will work this year, after next year The Packers will be able to really start moving on.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
What I wrote in another thread:

This move reeks of one thing: Mike McCarthy is deciding to switch philosophies on the Defensive side of the ball.

That's huge. It's the fourth year of his program, and switching defensive philosophies is a very bold statement.

It's essentially going back to the square one, and re-tooling. That shouldn't be happening in year 4, and Mike McCarthy needs to take some of the blame for that.

IMO, when it is all said and done (with regards to staff firings and new hirings), Mike McCarthy will need 2-3 threes to see the fruits of his labour (implementing different scheme). That is to say it will take 2-3 years for the Packers to truly excel at any new scheme installed.

That's a bold step, considering Mike McCarthy may not get more than one year.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
dhazer
15 years ago

Stop it LT your making me smiling talking about Ted Thompson maybe gone after next year lol.

"longtimefan" wrote:

So your in a tough spot eh?

Another losing season of your team, or a chance to make the playoffs :P

"dhazer" wrote:

Ya i am specially if the Steelers win the Super Bowl this year i need a big year next year from the Pack which in turn would mean i have to live with Ted Thompson for a few more years.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

What I wrote in another thread:

This move reeks of one thing: Mike McCarthy is deciding to switch philosophies on the Defensive side of the ball.

That's huge. It's the fourth year of his program, and switching defensive philosophies is a very bold statement.

It's essentially going back to the square one, and re-tooling. That shouldn't be happening in year 4, and Mike McCarthy needs to take some of the blame for that.

IMO, when it is all said and done (with regards to staff firings and new hirings), Mike McCarthy will need 2-3 threes to see the fruits of his labour (implementing different scheme). That is to say it will take 2-3 years for the Packers to truly excel at any new scheme installed.

That's a bold step, considering Mike McCarthy may not get more than one year.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Bold? Or desperate?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Bold? Or desperate?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Good question.

It might very well be desperate considering Mike McCarthy fired the positions coaches of our strongest units this season - DBs.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
DarkaneRules
15 years ago
Everyone is desperate every year. There are never any certainties no matter what season you are in, and winning is very very very important.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
warhawk
15 years ago

I see some are still blaming the bad kharma on Mike Sherman. :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

I like this move, it gets The Packers one step closer to putting together another winning football team.

That is only going to happen after we all go through another year like 2007 and THE RIGHT HEADS WILL FINALLY ROLL IN GB.

Using most of the D staff as scapegoats will work this year, after next year The Packers will be able to really start moving on.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Oh, I wouldn't start counting the days just yet. I believe the move on defense is exactly what the doctor ordered and this team is far closer to achieving what it did in '07 than repeating what happened in '08.

They bring in a bona-fide producer on the defensive side of the ball to add what McCarthy has done with the "O" and this team will be a force. The offense finished what? Fifth? With a first time starting QB? No where to go but up baby.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
15 years ago

Oh, I wouldn't start counting the days just yet. I believe the move on defense is exactly what the doctor ordered and this team is far closer to achieving what it did in '07 than repeating what happened in '08.

They bring in a bona-fide producer on the defensive side of the ball to add what McCarthy has done with the "O" and this team will be a force. The offense finished what? Fifth? With a first time starting QB? No where to go but up baby.

"warhawk" wrote:

Hawk - Don't jinx us! 🤫

Anyways, on the D...

Yes, one bona-fide producer on the DL changes everything. And I mean everything. Take the double teams off of Kampy, plug the middle, allow the LBs to do their job and not be overwhelmed. We already have the Pro Bowl DBs. Had we had Corey Williams in '08, we would have finished 8-8 or better.

One bona-fide producer on the DL and you'll see Kampy getting double digit sacks again, and suddenly our LBs will look good again. I'm still convinced that our LBs were looking so horribly because they were worn down and exhausted by the end of the game because the DL wasn't doing their job.

Sure, you can say they were out of place a lot, but keep in mind, exhaustion also exhausts the brain. Try running a marathon then writing a novel. Won't work.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

12h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

12h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.