Laser Gunns
9 years ago
I cant get the Detroit game out of my head.

pretenders.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
gbpfan
9 years ago
We are contenders the Lions game was awful , but we played like the three stogies. We stayed close on that game ,we gave them points the Seahawks again we stayed on that game until second half , that's when things got ugly ,saint's game from the start knew we would lose. The pack is back the o-line will keep A- Rod standing d-line will stop the run with C.M. in his new position , eagles will feel what the bears felt. The difference is Sánchez will throw more picks our way.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
When I say pretender, it's not lopsided like full pretender, joke team. Of course they could go all the way, but so could about two dozen other teams. That's how the NFL works. You can't let teams run all over you and continue to etch out wins against poor quarterbacked teams. What happens when a team gets the jump on the Packers and runs it down their throat? The Packers can't stop it and that makes the predictable play calling of Mike McCarthy even more predictable.

Maybe Clay Matthews III playing ILB is the run stopping fix?

Of the three loses, if those had been home games, the Packers would have likely won 2 of the 3.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

That's not going to help much in the playoffs because they most likely be on the road. Not that it matters because the Giants and 49ers don't seem to have any issues with playing in Lambeau Field.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 years ago

I cant get the Detroit game out of my head.

pretenders.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

That.

I did just bet my next door neighbor a case of your Leinies vs. a case of his Monkey beer on the Pack vs. the Eagles. He dropped the spot. It's straight up. He's no dummy, I'm a zealot.

Frankly, I'm very nervous. His beer is a bitch to find in this state.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
As of today GB is a pretender.

As of today GB will not make the playoffs. Many of you have been harping and saying it doesn't matter what GB does because they make the playoffs and when they do Aaron might pull a SB out of his butt. Without the playoffs their is no Aaron magic in store.

Can they change? Sure. Will the move of CM3 to MLB make things different? I don't know for sure. You don't know for sure. We can only hope it will but there is no real proof that the defense has actually improved enough to beat a quality team outside of the results we saw when they played a Bears team that quit before they even walked on to the field. So the results from that game as far as the defense is concerned is meaningless just like the results from the preseason don't really mean very much either.

We can only hope GB beats teams with winning record in some kind of a convincing manner to show they really can win against those kinds of teams. They will have 3, maybe 4 chances to prove they are contenders in the next 7 games. Until they do win their track record show they are pretenders.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago
The one factor other than QB the loses have in common.. the playing surface. Simply put.. the Packers are not a great turf team. From the offensive line to the defense just doesn't play well on a fast track vs. a natural surface.

In a league where the margin of victory is small.. I think it a factor physically but probably even more mentally.

That said... I think our helter skelter defense has me skeptical that we are anything but a pretender at the moment. Couple that with a weak running game to date in which we struggle to control the clock when needed.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
The Jets were 1-0 when the Pack played them.
The Bears were 2-1 the 1st time The Pack played them.

Does that count as beating teams with a winning record?

The Vikings and The Dolphins were 2-2 when The Packers played them.

"The team that takes the field in December usually does not resemble the team that took the field in September."

A team can ONLY play the teams on their schedule.

The Packers are contenders until they are eliminated from the playoff race.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
olds70supreme
9 years ago

I don't see how you can say if they played the teams ten times scenario fitting in here. As you know, you win you continue, you lose you go home. The Packers have lost against teams that are definitely contenders and can only beat teams that are pretenders.

I'm just not seeing contender from the Packers. The next game they have to beat a real contender is the Patriots. if they can win that game, then we can consider them tilted towards contenders instead of pretenders.

I think we are closer on this than it sounds, if there was a venn diagram to illustrate this we would be in the middle section. This is splitting hairs, but my point is that 3 games of losing to a quality opponent isn't significant enough to rule a team out. It certainly indicates that they can't beat a quality opponent, but all it actually proves is that they didn't. There is no solace to be taken here, but if two quality teams play each other, at least one has to lose. You could replace "quality teams" with "CONTENDERS". Let's say there are three remaining quality teams to be played this year (Eagles, Patriots, and Lions) - how many wins out of this total of six games do the Packers need to be rated a contender?

In the end it's too subjective to come to a clear conclusion, but it does make fore good fan discussion.
blank
dfosterf
9 years ago

I think we are closer on this than it sounds, if there was a venn diagram to illustrate this we would be in the middle section. This is splitting hairs, but my point is that 3 games of losing to a quality opponent isn't significant enough to rule a team out. It certainly indicates that they can't beat a quality opponent, but all it actually proves is that they didn't. There is no solace to be taken here, but if two quality teams play each other, at least one has to lose. You could replace "quality teams" with "CONTENDERS". Let's say there are three remaining quality teams to be played this year (Eagles, Patriots, and Lions) - how many wins out of this total of six games do the Packers need to be rated a contender?

In the end it's too subjective to come to a clear conclusion, but it does make fore good fan discussion.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

I don't have a venn diagram, whatever the hell that is, but I do have a dfosterf memory of my team getting it's ass beat.

I'll go with that. The dfosterf memory of my team getting it's ass beat. I will review my memory of the dfosterf memory of my team getting it's ass beat after this week, when it plays a quality opponent, imo, albeit with a home team advantage, which of course, I like.

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

That's not going to help much in the playoffs because they most likely be on the road. Not that it matters because the Giants and 49ers don't seem to have any issues with playing in Lambeau Field.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What makes you think they will be playing on the road? The teams ahead of us
Philly has a backup QB playing, and also has two games against Dallas and one against SEA.
Dallas has the two games against Philly, another against Indy and Romo with a questionable back.
Arizona a backup QB and a tough schedule remaining

SEA is tied with us but has the tie breaker.

The team takes care of business at home and depending on what Detroit does the next two weeks, our schedule is beneficial for getting home games.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!