steveishere
9 years ago

Whenever a rule doesn't go in favor of your under-performing team, it is always a "stupid"/ "dumbass" rule, lol.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I'm pretty sure I explained exactly why I thought the rule was bad. If you care to dispute that go ahead or just make little useless drive by comments like this that don't address what was said. Whatever you feel is most productive to an actual discussion on your forum I guess.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
The way I state it is. I can live with getting beat, I hate losing. The difference being, getting beat is when you play well, not making mistakes and the other team just plays better. Losing is what the Packers did today with the poor throws and drops by the offense.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Yeah, but the reason the rule was put in place was to prevent desperation fake fumbling to advance the ball at the end of the half/game. It was a direct result of the Oakland Raiders "Immaculate Deception" play back in the 70s--Ken Stabler 'fumbled' the ball to avoid being sacked. No Raider player was able to pick up the ball and run with it (as they had Chargers players hanging all over them trying to recover the ball), so they batted the ball forward until it was in the end zone, and then fell on it.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

The rule could be fixed by simply not allowing the offense to advance the ball past the place of fumble, which would have allowed Lacy to pick up the ball and prevent the Safety, but not gain additional yardage. The rule as written, lacy could have batted the ball forward and either himself or another player recovered it to accomplish the same thing as him just picking it up and getting out of the endzone.

Understand the reason for the rule, but it isn't written the best.
Rockmolder
9 years ago

The rule could be fixed by simply not allowing the offense to advance the ball past the place of fumble, which would have allowed Lacy to pick up the ball and prevent the Safety, but not gain additional yardage. The rule as written, lacy could have batted the ball forward and either himself or another player recovered it to accomplish the same thing as him just picking it up and getting out of the endzone.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Yeah. The Holy Roller was a totally different thing. I can imagine that you can't advance it past the line by batting it, but where's the harm in picking up a fumble behind the line and then running it? It's little more than a hand-off on that case.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Yeah. The Holy Roller was a totally different thing. I can imagine that you can't advance it past the line by batting it, but where's the harm in picking up a fumble behind the line and then running it? It's little more than a hand-off on that case.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

You can do that, just not under 2:00 right? I can't think of a any rule that says you can do this but not after this time left in the game that I liked. Sure it is cut and dry, but just seems silly. Either allow it always or not at all.

I suppose the reason for the time limit is because if you're on a last ditch effort with less than couple minutes to go, what do you have to lose? Then again, if you're willing to throw a Hail Mary, how is a Hail Fumble much different?
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
First of all, I DO mind losing. I also don't care for all the negative shit that gets posted immediately after in multiple threads. As for the shitting thing, pretty much all teams do that sometimes.

As for the playoff situation, we had to beat Detroit anyway - a win yesterday and a loss Week 17, and they still have the tiebreaker of division record on us. The Seattle win is mixed - they did knock out the Niners completely, and a loss to the Cardinals would give them 5 losses. I don't expect that, but what I do halfway at least expect is they lose Week 17 to St. Louis - a very Buffalo-like team. Does anybody know, if we and the Cardinals and Cowboys win our divisions with 4 losses, who has the tiebreaker between us and them? And if the Seahawks, Eagles, and Lions all have 5 losses by the end, who is 1 and 2 for the wild card, and who is out? That, BTW, can be taken as a prediction of how it all turns out.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, that rule: Picture this - we sack somebody's QB in the end zone, and he kinda accidentally on purpose bowls the ball back across the goal line and his team mate recovers. We might think different about the rule then hahahaha.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, that rule: Picture this - we sack somebody's QB in the end zone, and he kinda accidentally on purpose bowls the ball back across the goal line and his team mate recovers. We might think different about the rule then hahahaha.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

That is why, if the rule was written, where the ball cannot be advanced past where it was fumbled. If the QB is in the endzone and fumbles, than another payer cannot advance it past that point so it would still be a safety. But in the case yesterday, Rodgers was outside the endzone so a safety could be prevented.

I think the whole idea of the rule is so the offensive team cannot gain an advantage by fumbling the ball forwards. I don't think the idea was to make the play more negative than any other fumble would be.
sschind
9 years ago

Well hell that wasn't what anyone wanted today.

Packers lose.
Detroit wins
Seattle wins

Can't dwell on it to long, Packers have to get ready to go to Tampa Bay.

Win the last 2...12-4 worst that The Packers could be is 2nd seed, still plenty of football to go.

Not the path I wanted to see, but it is what it is.

Gotta give credit to Bills coaches, they put together a great plan.

The players executed that plan to the tee!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Hopefully the Bucs really really want Marcus Mariota.

sschind
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

That's actually a good idea. Send an email to the rules committee.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (9h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Novalee

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.