wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
9 years ago

An embarrassing rash of five blocked kicks in a 10-game stretch has those responsible searching for answers.

One special-teams coach for a team that played the Packers this season rated their special teams as "middle of the pack."

"They're better than they've been the last couple years," the coach said. "Their core guys aren't bad. They're not a detriment where you say, 'Those special teams, man, they're going to kill us.'

"Sometimes I think they get themselves in trouble by trying to do too much. Get a little bit of that 'guru flu,' that you've got to try to outsmart everybody all the time and sometimes are out of position on some things."

JSOnline  wrote:

GB has been winning there games so I hope we don;t dwell on this negative item. 🙄
Actually the fans have been so frustrated with the defense last eek and in general over the season that we really haven't had many comments of the ST screw ups.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago
The article made it sound like there is chaos in the punt/placement protection units.
Sounds like a coaching issue to me.
Hopefully they got it squared away.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
I noticed even before the kick that was blocked, Crosby was kicking kinda low. Maybe that was the problem - in that case anyway.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
9 years ago
Slocum has been a joke for a decade.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
9 years ago

Slocum has been a joke for a decade.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

For some reason, it is real difficult to lose your coaching gig in Green Bay. At least the offensive line has come around to be one of our strengths. Campen sure took a lot of heat, deservedly so.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago

For some reason, it is real difficult to lose your coaching gig in Green Bay. At least the offensive line has come around to be one of our strengths. Campen sure took a lot of heat, deservedly so.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

If nothing else, Mike McCarthy is certainly loyal.

nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The Oline is improving, thanks to Ted. And no thanks to the training staff.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I noticed even before the kick that was blocked, Crosby was kicking kinda low. Maybe that was the problem - in that case anyway.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

It was a 53 yard kick INTO the wind so a kicker would want to keep the ball down. The kick looked plenty high if the Line had blocked. The amount of penetration Williams had was unacceptable.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Special Teams are not my strong suit so I'm going to just blame the coach. I haven't really liked Special Teams for the Packers in a long time. The fake FG few years back was excellent though, I did like that. Other than that, it seems Special Teams always finds a way to bite the Packers.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Special Teams are not my strong suit so I'm going to just blame the coach. I haven't really liked Special Teams for the Packers in a long time. The fake FG few years back was excellent though, I did like that. Other than that, it seems Special Teams always finds a way to bite the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Really comes down to a question. Are the players just not executing, or are they following the scheme/plays properly.

Both the blocked FG and the Punt return both seemed like player mistakes, not a coaching issue. Williams never should have been allowed to get that much penetration with his hands up. And on the pun return, because of punting into the wind, Masthay got good hang time, on a short punt so what happened was the coverage outran the punt basically.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (15h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (16h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (19h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (19h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.