DakotaT
9 years ago

TT sucks. He never signs any free agents. He never goes out and gets what the team needs on the free agent market. He just sucks.

:)

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

Why does he go with guys like Hawk and Jones in the middle for so long when they are so obviously not up to par? And then compound the problem by giving them above average contracts?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Why does he go with guys like Hawk and Jones in the middle for so long when they are so obviously not up to par? And then compound the problem by giving them above average contracts?

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Jones was getting it done for awhile. He's not good when he's injured but he's solid depth due to his ability to run and also play both ILB and OLB.

As for Hawk, his best days are behind him. He's lost that half step that made him adequate, and no one cares about the running game anymore.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

For several reasons.

First, unlike this board and most fans, Ted Thompson does not have the capability to turn over the entire roster every off season. Let alone after every loss as most fans wish to do. Can't happen. So you address the biggest priorities. ILB, much like FB and P, is not usually one of them.

Second, having Hawk on the roster saves at least 2 spots. Dude never misses a game. So Mike McCarthy can carry an extra DL on the roster. Or WR. Or whatever. In his 9 years on the team, he has missed 2 games. Think about the list of players at the other ILB spot. There's been so many I can't count that high.

Third, it may be that we are not as appreciative of his role and impact. Clay Matthews playing an extensive role in our D has 61 tackles. AJ Hawk, playing a much smaller role, has 90. I don't know where to find the number of plays each has seen, but I am guessing that Clay has seen a lot more time on the field. So wouldn't Hawk be the more efficient tackler? I agree that Hawk is short of big plays, but he's consistent. He's not the best ILB in the league, but he's played next to worse ones most of his career.

Would you rather have the 49ers ILB studs this year? Bowman and Willis? 34 total tackles in a combined 6 games on the field. 11M in salary, sitting. Those 2 missed 26 games this year. Hawk has missed 2 in his career. There's a value to showing up.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Why am I not surprised to read this take from you on Raji :)

Doubt Hawk (or Brad Jones 🙏 🙏 🙏 ) will be back in GB next year, but also doubt he'll will retire. As for Pennell, he was a UDFA from a D2 school. I know he's reported to have tons of talent, but again, he was a UDFA from a D2 school.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Do you SERIOUSLY see Raji any different than that? I admit to thinking Guion would be the same way, but he plays like Raji never did even in his better years - both attitudinally and talent-wise.

Funny, I didn't even remember Brad Jones when commenting on ILBs - he's so far down the toilet. I get pissed off every time he sets foot on the field now. If you don't think Hawk will be back, but not retire, what do you think his fate will be? Get cut and sign with somebody else? I doubt he has even a shred of trade value.

As for Pennell, I didn't mean to imply he was any kind of an answer, just that he might improve - as many D Linemen do. The thing about drafting a D Lineman early, though, is college greatness doesn't always correlate to NFL For every J.J. Watt, there are a dozen first round Rajis (well, maybe not that bad hahahaha). Plus, with the Packers D packages, we don't need more D Line talent, not urgently anyway.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
2013 B.J. Raji 666 snaps with a grade of -24.9
Salary for 2014: $3.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2014 Letroy Guion 555 snaps with a grade of -5.2
Salary for 2014: $730,000 (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $105,000 in per-game roster bonuses),
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

For several reasons.

First, unlike this board and most fans, Ted Thompson does not have the capability to turn over the entire roster every off season. Let alone after every loss as most fans wish to do. Can't happen. So you address the biggest priorities. ILB, much like FB and P, is not usually one of them.

Second, having Hawk on the roster saves at least 2 spots. Dude never misses a game. So Mike McCarthy can carry an extra DL on the roster. Or WR. Or whatever. In his 9 years on the team, he has missed 2 games. Think about the list of players at the other ILB spot. There's been so many I can't count that high.

Third, it may be that we are not as appreciative of his role and impact. Clay Matthews playing an extensive role in our D has 61 tackles. AJ Hawk, playing a much smaller role, has 90. I don't know where to find the number of plays each has seen, but I am guessing that Clay has seen a lot more time on the field. So wouldn't Hawk be the more efficient tackler? I agree that Hawk is short of big plays, but he's consistent. He's not the best ILB in the league, but he's played next to worse ones most of his career.

Would you rather have the 49ers ILB studs this year? Bowman and Willis? 34 total tackles in a combined 6 games on the field. 11M in salary, sitting. Those 2 missed 26 games this year. Hawk has missed 2 in his career. There's a value to showing up.

Actually, I would would rather go to a 4-3 and leave Clay in the middle. but if we insist on using this linebacker defense with lousy inside linebackers - than yes I would like to have studs like Bowman and Willis. SF losing both of them is like having Packers karma shifted on to them.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

2013 B.J. Raji 666 snaps with a grade of -24.9
Salary for 2014: $3.1 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2014 Letroy Guion 555 snaps with a grade of -5.2
Salary for 2014: $730,000 (+ $50,000 workout bonus + $105,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Raji was looking legit this TC since they moved him back to his actual position.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Actually, I would would rather go to a 4-3 and leave Clay in the middle. but if we insist on using this linebacker defense with lousy inside linebackers - than yes I would like to have studs like Bowman and Willis. SF losing both of them is like having Packers karma shifted on to them.

Packers don't seem to be able to find enough DL for a 3-4. But they can shift enough LB in and out to do ok in a 3-4.

4-3 is dependent on finding multiple studs for DL. I'm not confident.

That and we don't even play a traditional 3-4 all that much.
DakotaT
9 years ago

Packers don't seem to be able to find enough DL for a 3-4. But they can shift enough LB in and out to do ok in a 3-4.

4-3 is dependent on finding multiple studs for DL. I'm not confident.

That and we don't even play a traditional 3-4 all that much.

We already have Jones, Perry, Daniels, Mike Neal, and possibly Raji. All these guys are square pegs in round holes in our current defense. Jones and Perry are 4-3 DE's and Daniels plays your pass rushing DT. Just need a fat boy in there to keep Clay clean.

We are not playing the 3-4 like it should be played.
UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

We already have Jones, Perry, Daniels, Mike Neal, and possibly Raji. All these guys are square pegs in round holes in our current defense. Jones and Perry are 4-3 DE's and Daniels plays your pass rushing DT. Just need a fat boy in there to keep Clay clean.

We are not playing the 3-4 like it should be played.

I would argue that we are playing the 3-4 as it should be. We have the 2-4, 1-4, 2-3, 4-1, 4-2, 4-3 and many more versions. I would say that Dom is being as creative as ever with the different combinations he is putting out there. And the results show that.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.