texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

Would you still want him if he had played somewhere else and put up the same stats but you hadn't been following him as closely because you were not a fan of the team?

The problem is I doubt McCarthy would run them at a 60/40 split I don't care how talented they both are. This season Lacy and Starks were about 75/25 and I just don't see Mike McCarthy changing it up that much. It was a tiny bit closer percentage wise this season but that was pretty much due to Lacy getting fewer carries not Starks getting more. Granted Gordon maybe a superior talent to Starks but that does not automatically mean Mike McCarthy would use him more.

I don't care if it is the 32 pick I want a guy that theoretically will be able to break the starting lineup and play more than 25% of the downs (figuring roughly 50/50 split O and D and 50/50 split Gordon and Lacy

Lastly, who was picking him to go as high as 1 or 2. I sure as heck don't want that guy making my draft picks.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Absolutely! Have you watched the guy play? He's light years ahead of Montee Ball; He breaks tackles just about as good as Lacy, and when he does, he's GONE; And he slides down the line like Demarco Murray, breaks tackles at least as well, and runs a whole lot faster. He's O.J. - did you ever see him play? A threat to go all the way every time he touches the ball. And it wasn't just the Wisconsin O Line either - a lot of times he had to adjust/run to daylight. Todd Gurley has been mentioned? I've seen him run too - not even on the same planet as Gordon.

In the past, I was as firm as anybody against drafting an RB in the first round. I wasn't even all that thrilled at the time when they took Lacy in the second. It's true, you can always find a GOOD running back. Gordon, however, is head and shoulders better than anybody to come along in decades. He will be a superstar in the NFL. I hereby go on record saying that. I will literally be crying if he gets chosen before the Packers pick - as probably will be the case. I literally do pray that he will be there with the Packers at #32, and if Ted doesn't take him, I'll be calling for his head to roll.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
9 years ago

Montee made it until the 58th pick and him and Melvin are not that different. With McCarthy calling plays and having Rodgers, if there isn't an ILB in the 1st, we could always give Rodgers another receiving option considering how poorly the young guys we have are advancing. I remember some of the complaints when we took Jones and Nelson because of the WR we already had. With this offense it is hard to have enough good WR.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

a month ago Adams was the second coming of ... well the second coming of someone who was really really good and came before but the point is how fast things turn.

IMO, with the draft you always want to get an eventual starter or #1 guy with your first round pick. After that I think you can go for luxury if someone falls to you unless you are a team in total rebuild mode. The way this offense is built I would never get tired of seeing another pass catcher (WR or TE) drafted in the second round as long as its not an obvious reach. Mainly because a very good #3 WR or a top tier TE in this offense are going to get a lot of chances. I just don't see the #2 RB be it Lacy or Gordon given Texas' desire would garner enough playing time to warrant the #1 pick being another RB. Say we draft Gordon and he comes in and puts up Lacy like numbers (I don't see any RB doing much more in this offense) We already have a guy putting up Lacy like numbers so if we had 2 one would be spending 3/4 of the time on the bench. Its a wonderful position for the Packers to be in for spot duty or in case of an injury but its a waste if the #1 stays healthy.
OlHoss1884
9 years ago
I have to admit that I haven't followed a lot of college football this year so I can't say how he ranks compared to other prospects. If he is the best player on the board, I hope we grab him. If we are looking for someone really good who fills a need, I like Danny Shelton, NT from Washington. He had 89 tackles (16.5 for loss) and 9 sacks this year, AND he was an Academic All-American (smart!). He's 339 pounds, but not a fat guy. I think he's make our inside LB look better immediately.

Now that said, Gordon is going to be a stud in the NFL, and I could see any of our divisional opponents grabbing him in round 1 because they ALL have a need there. I would certainly go with a 1-2 of Gordon and Lacy over Lacy-Starks if it means the rest of the division has to make due with what they have.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

I WANT MELVIN GORDON TAKEN BY THE PACKERS!

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The Packers have two good RB's that compliment one another just fine. Couple that with the lack of consistent commitment to the run game, I would rather see another offensive lineman picked in the first round.

You're all wrong. The correct answer for what you hope and pray for next year's first round pick is that it's 32nd.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

When you say things like this, you need to keep in mind this video.

In other words, with your hope and prayer could easily be the Packers trading from 26th overall to 32nd overall while picking up at 2nd round pick in the process.

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
9 years ago
Best player available, almost always, imo. If we end up with too much talent at any given position, try to swing a trade. If two or more players are rated equally, than go with need, but otherwise, best player available.
sschind
9 years ago

Best player available, almost always, imo. If we end up with too much talent at any given position, try to swing a trade. If two or more players are rated equally, than go with need, but otherwise, best player available.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

The thing is the very nature of a list means guys won't be rated equally. One will be higher than the other. I suppose you could have a tie but how many GMs would write it down that way. Of course I believe need factors into rating players even if it is just a little bit so if two guys are rated pretty much equally on all other accounts the one who fits the need would probably be rated higher anyway and thus be the BPA.
DarkaneRules
9 years ago
I heard this is overall a weak draft. Look for us to draft guys we've never heard of!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
millertime
9 years ago
I'll take an athletic inside backer any day. Need to add some speed to the ILB position.
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
THIS IS ME DOUBLING DOWN ON MELVIN GORDON!!!!!!

He WILL be a once in a generation superstar in the NFL. I just hope and pray it is for the Packers.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
porky88
9 years ago
Paul Dawson and Bednarik McKinney would look good in green and gold. Just throwing it out there five months before the draft. 🤔