Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Let's take a quick peak as some of the key match ups going into the NFC Divisional match up between Green Bay Packers and Dallas Cowboys.

Aaron Rodgers vs Rod Marinelli
Can you name any defensive coordinator that would have the edge over Aaron Rodgers? I can't think of one and surely a coach who lead a team to an 0 - 16 record doesn't have said edge.
Big Edge: Aaron Rodgers

Tony Romo vs Dom Capers
Teryl Austin dialed up some well timed blitz's that got Romo off his game quite a bit and while I think he might be a better DC than Capers, the edge here goes to Capers because he has better talent depth than Austin.
Slight Edge: Dom Capers

Eddie Lacy vs Bruce Carter, Rolando McClain & Anthony Hitchens
If McClain is starting and is as 100% as a NFL player can be at this stage of the season, the edge goes to the LB group. McClain is the key cog to this defensive group and if his concussion like symptions are nothing, it could be a 3 yards and dust for Lacy.
Edge: Dallas Linebackers

DeMarco Murray vs Julius Peppers, Sam Barrington, Clay Matthews III & Mike Neal
Murray has averaged 4.7 yards a carry during the regular season racking up 1,845 yards. That's over 115 yards per game and the Packers defense has been giving up around 80 yards rushing per game the last half of the season. The latter stat is more of an illusion and Murray has the edge here.
Edge: DeMarco Murray

Jordy Nelson & Randall Cobb vs Brandon Carr & Orlando Scandrick
The Packers top wideouts have snagged 189 catches for 2,806 yards and 25 touchdowns during the 2014 regular season. I don't think you need to know anything else to determine who gets the edge here.
Big Edge: Packers WR's

Dez Bryant & Terrance Williams vs Sam Shields & Tramon Williams
Bryant is going to win some battles here and for those who think the grass will slow him down, do you not remember Julio Jones?
Edge: Dallas WR's

And now for the trenches, where every game is won or lost.

Packers OL vs Cowboys DL
Packers pass blocking grade is 47.6 (1st) while the Cowboys pass rush grade is 25.9 (8th).
Packers run blocking grade is -11.8 (17th) and Cowboys run defense grade is -20.0 (22nd).
Slight Edge: Packers OL primarily because of Rodgers

Cowboys OL vs Packers DL
Packers pass rush grade is 18.5 (13th) while the Cowboys pass block grade is 22.4 (2nd).
Packers run defense grade is -31.8 (28th) and Cowboys run block grade is 60.7 (2nd).
Big Edge: Cowboys OL

Special Teams Grades
Packers -12.4 (24th)
Cowboys 28.0 (9th)
Big Edge: Cowboys

Overall Grades
Packers Offense 98.8 (2nd) and Cowboys Defense 3.3 (17th)
Cowboys Offense 143.2 (1st) and Packers Defense -4.5 (19th)
Edge: Tie

Zero's Power Ranking
Packers held onto 1st place with a +28.0 differential while the Cowboys took 2nd place with a +22.0 differential.
Slight Edge: Packers

ProFootballFocus.com was used as the source for all grades mentioned.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
Besides Rodgers, the biggest edge for GB is playing in Lambeau. The turf and slower field impacts dome teams more than teams that play on a natural field.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago
Pretty Good Analysis, Zero.

One minor glitch; Justin Durant has been out since about mid-season injured. Hitchens, the kid from Purdue has done even better, though. They have a lot of good ILBs to choose from.

Marinelli is a really good D Coordinator - witness the Cowboys D with him compared to without him last year. However, the key match IMO is Aaron Rodgers - the best QB in the history of the world - versus the Cowboys weakest point, their D backfield. He should pick them apart if our O Line can be just barely adequate. Don't sell the Cowboys D Line too short either. They have been pretty decent for not having much big name talent.

Romo had his best year in a long time, but he can be confused, and Capers is just the D Coordinator to do it. The trick will be loading up enough to not get beat by Murray while still pressuring Romo. Unlike Rodgers - who teams almost don't dare blitz, Romo they almost don't dare not blitz. And he won't run, but he will extend the play and throw it.

I've watched just about every Cowboy game; They are my second favorite team - dating back to the Ice Bowl years - long before I came to Texas. Jerry has done a damn good GM job building them back to a quality team. Just the same, Aaron Rodgers is still Aaron Rodgers. Thus, the Packers have a comfortable edge, even though just about every other position or position group, the Cowboys are better.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Cheesey
9 years ago
All I know is......if the Plowboys beat the Packers, I will be very depressed. I got to go to the playoff game in Dallas in 1996, and got sick of watching the Packers lose playoff games in big D.
Them coming here and losing, would help me forget those years a little bit.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Pretty Good Analysis, Zero.

One minor glitch; Justin Durant has been out since about mid-season injured. Hitchens, the kid from Purdue has done even better, though. They have a lot of good ILBs to choose from.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

dammit, that's what i get for trusting nfl.com and cowboys website

thanks, fixed.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago
We have the talent to win this game, so if we lose, it will be because we shit ourselves.

Packers are undefeated at home, and the Gurls are undefeated on the road, so it should be an "immovable object meeting irresistible force" type scenario. Just not sure this group can hold it together for three games in a row against quality competition.

One week? Yes. Two more? We shall see.

And if ST costs us the season, Slocum will HAVE to go.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
9 years ago
I really think the Packers can and should win this game. But if they make too many mistakes, they could easily lose. It's the playoffs, so they will need to bring their "A" game if they want to advance. But I think the Packers "A" game is better than the Cowboys "A" game, so the Packers should win. It will likely be close, though. As always, a quick 14-21 points could seal the game early.
nerdmann
9 years ago

I really think the Packers can and should win this game. But if they make too many mistakes, they could easily lose. It's the playoffs, so they will need to bring their "A" game if they want to advance. But I think the Packers "A" game is better than the Cowboys "A" game, so the Packers should win. It will likely be close, though. As always, a quick 14-21 points could seal the game early.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

We caught a break, thanks to the officials, imo.

We're not playing the better team from that game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Packers wouldn't be playing the Lions if they had won, they would be playing Panthers.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

we may not be playing the better team from that game but I think we are playing the better team so no break imo.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (8h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (23h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (23h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.