Zero2Cool
9 years ago

He ran a 4.56 at the combine and doesn't look much faster than that on the field to me.

But like Dodd said, he's a physical guy who can make catches and has some quickness to him.

Ted never seems to get stuck on the physical specimens at WR, but rather on the football players. Boykin is, indeed, an extreme example of that, but Cobb, Nelson, Jones and, indeed, Davante Adams, didn't show a whole lot at the combine, either.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I believe 4.56 is faster than that one guy ... Rice of Jerry fame ... and he wasn't great. :)

No, I am NOT saying Davante Adams is Jerry Rice. I'm saying 40 times and speed do not negate greatness. Sterling Sharpe was great, wasn't fast.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

That wasn't a trap, though. He had two hands on the ball going to the ground, had control of it cradled in his left hand going to the ground, and in my opinion, contact with the ground jarred the ball loose.

I get why they reversed the call. As the rule is written, it was the correct call. That said, I don't like the rule, common sense tells me that Dez, Megatron, and Brett Swain in the Super Bowl (slightly different aspect of the rule) all caught the ball.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

The ball can touch the ground, if you have control of it. He didn't have control of it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

I believe 4.56 is faster than that one guy ... Rice of Jerry fame ... and he wasn't great. :)

No, I am NOT saying Davante Adams is Jerry Rice. I'm saying 40 times and speed do not negate greatness. Sterling Sharpe was great, wasn't fast.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

They said the same thing about Greg Jennings. DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH SPEED TO GET IT DONE ON THE NFL LEVEL. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

That wasn't a trap, though. He had two hands on the ball going to the ground, had control of it cradled in his left hand going to the ground, and in my opinion, contact with the ground jarred the ball loose.

I get why they reversed the call. As the rule is written, it was the correct call. That said, I don't like the rule, common sense tells me that Dez, Megatron, and Brett Swain in the Super Bowl (slightly different aspect of the rule) all caught the ball.

OK, how do you change the rule so the Megatron catch or this one becomes a catch while at the same time, not making all the instances of the ball hitting the ground on actual non-catches under the same or similar circumstances also become catches by rule?

Dez was establishing possession while going to the ground, he didn't have possession and than dive for the endzone. I can't think of a way to word the rule that would create better results.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
9 years ago

OK, how do you change the rule so the Megatron catch or this one becomes a catch while at the same time, not making all the instances of the ball hitting the ground on actual non-catches under the same or similar circumstances also become catches by rule?

Dez was establishing possession while going to the ground, he didn't have possession and than dive for the endzone. I can't think of a way to word the rule that would create better results.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Ignoring definitions in the rules, I don't think a reasonable person can look at that play and say he didn't catch it. Did the ground aid in him gaining possession? Did he lose control prior to the ball hitting the ground? there was time between grasping the ball and going to the ground too. Common sense tells me that was a catch.

The flip side is something you're getting at. How do you minimize subjectivity from defining a catch? It's like the force out rule. There are undeniably situations where a receiver gets hosed, but in most instances it's better than the alternative.

warhawk
9 years ago
Nobody is talking about the bad call on Tramon for PI at the goal line when it was obvious the receivers feet got tangled up. The call basically gift wrapped that td. So how many calls does Dallas need to win the game?

The bottom line is Green Bay and Arod dominated the second half of the game and took it from Dallas. Even had they given the play to Dallas the way GB was moving the ball with 4 minutes left and only needing a FG to win I have little doubt they would have done so.

After the first drive of the second half the Packers were not stopped and that is why Dallas is going home and not because of one stinking play. When you lay your hat there when you had many chances to stop your opponent I don't feel very sorry for ya.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

Ignoring definitions in the rules, I don't think a reasonable person can look at that play and say he didn't catch it. Did the ground aid in him gaining possession? Did he lose control prior to the ball hitting the ground? there was time between grasping the ball and going to the ground too. Common sense tells me that was a catch.

The flip side is something you're getting at. How do you minimize subjectivity from defining a catch? It's like the force out rule. There are undeniably situations where a receiver gets hosed, but in most instances it's better than the alternative.

Shields gets his hand in enough where he keeps Dez from immediately controlling the ball. Having control of the ball and going to the ground was all happening at the same time. There was never a point of having two feet and control to establish possession and than a separate move with the ball.

There are catches all the time in the game, that are not completed passes. It takes a catch plus fulfilling the rest of the criteria of a completed pass.
nerdmann
9 years ago

Nobody is talking about the bad call on Tramon for PI at the goal line when it was obvious the receivers feet got tangled up. The call basically gift wrapped that td. So how many calls does Dallas need to win the game?

The bottom line is Green Bay and Arod dominated the second half of the game and took it from Dallas. Even had they given the play to Dallas the way GB was moving the ball with 4 minutes left and only needing a FG to win I have little doubt they would have done so.

After the first drive of the second half the Packers were not stopped and that is why Dallas is going home and not because of one stinking play. When you lay your hat there when you had many chances to stop your opponent I don't feel very sorry for ya.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Calls were going against us all day. Remember that one spot that was two yards off? That was too obvious so they had to take away that free first down. lol

We got ONE CALL.
QCHuskerFan
9 years ago

Calls were going against us all day. Remember that one spot that was two yards off? That was too obvious so they had to take away that free first down. lol

We got ONE CALL.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We did not get one call. The ruling on the field was in favor of Dallas. As were most of the calls, such as the bogus PI on Tramon and the worst spot of the football in 40 years. The only reason the Packers benefitted from this call was because Mike McCarthy challenged it. It was his last available challenge. Granted it was with ~4 min left and there was only 2 min of game to worry about.

Packers had 10 accepted penalties for 87 yards. Dallas had..... 5 penalties for 35 yards.

Packers did not get one call.
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

We did not get one call. The ruling on the field was in favor of Dallas. As were most of the calls, such as the bogus PI on Tramon and the worst spot of the football in 40 years. The only reason the Packers benefitted from this call was because Mike McCarthy challenged it. It was his last available challenge. Granted it was with ~4 min left and there was only 2 min of game to worry about.

Packers had 10 accepted penalties for 87 yards. Dallas had..... 5 penalties for 35 yards.

Packers did not get one call.

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

We got two in one. Cobbs catch on the low pass from Rodgers. And the review of the catch that stood.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (19h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (22h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.