MintBaconDrivel
9 years ago

The price tag for soon-to-be free agent wide receiver Randall Cobb is $9 million a year. That's the word from Rob Demovsky of ESPN, who reports that Cobb is seeking an average of about $9 million a year, perhaps with a deal close to the four-year, $39 million contract extension the Packers gave teammate Jordy...

Michael David Smith  wrote:

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
Unfortunately we are not in position to say no. Cobb IMO is not worth as much as Jordy.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
musccy
9 years ago
9 mil seems fair to me relative to others in the NFL. It puts him right around Victor Cruz, Andre Johnson, and Antonio Brown. http://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/  

I don't know what's common to pay a WR crew, but at 9 for Cobb, Jordy's ~10, and then roughly 2.5 with Abby, Janis, and Adams that seems the high end of reasonable. Megatron alone makes 16 mil.

He's 24, reliable, good character, and this is a D&D franchise. I don't see how they let him walk for what's a relatively fair price.

lolleren
9 years ago
At 9 m a year I vote we let him walk, he is most effective used in the slot(without looking through the numbers, that is my feel from watching the games), and noone should pay 9m a year for a slot receiver.

Another reason to let him walk is that the money is better used elsewhere on the roster, WR talent can replineshed through the draft even though I bet the packers think it is a year too early to trust Davante Adams enough. Aaron, Jordy and Lacy allows us to say no thank you to 9m a year, and spend the money on the keeping the O-line together and prepare the cap for other upcoming free agents.
If Aaron can't keep the Offense competetive with Jordy, Lacy and a decent O-line, then he is no MVP and not worth the money he is getting.

blank
musccy
9 years ago

At 9 m a year I vote we let him walk, he is most effective used in the slot(without looking through the numbers, that is my feel from watching the games), and noone should pay 9m a year for a slot receiver.

Another reason to let him walk is that the money is better used elsewhere on the roster, WR talent can replineshed through the draft even though I bet the packers think it is a year too early to trust Davante Adams enough. Aaron, Jordy and Lacy allows us to say no thank you to 9m a year, and spend the money on the keeping the O-line together and prepare the cap for other upcoming free agents.
If Aaron can't keep the Offense competetive with Jordy, Lacy and a decent O-line, then he is no MVP and not worth the money he is getting.

Originally Posted by: lolleren 

Jordy is also almost 30, Cobb is 24 y.o. If that were flipped even with identical production, I'd agree with you. I get what you're saying about slot wrs and wrs being replaceable, but Cobb is used in a lot more ways in the backfield, ST, etc.

I don't want to lose Bulaga, but I trust the depth behind him (Tretter, Barclay (even post knee0) more than I trust Janis, Abby, Adams, and Boykin??

PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

WR talent is so easy to be replenished? If that was the case, shouldn't we have as deep a WR group as we had before losing Driver, Jennings and Jones.

If the team wants to be competitive, it needs more than one reliable WR. We were lucky last year that neither Jordy or Cobb go hurt. I wouldn't expect that to be the case for another year. We need depth to have a chance at a SB.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

What if the contract is set up like this four year $36 million contract.

$10 million signing bonus which is spread out against the cap via contract duration

2015: $4 million
2016: $6 million
2017: $8 million
2018: $8 million
2019: Free Agent

One thing to remember is that the "per year" is a fluffed up number. You'll notice this is an average of $9 million per year but the cap hit is substantially less.

I would expect a contract like this be to be signed sooner than later for Randall Cobb. Unless someone comes in paying him $50 million over four years.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
9 years ago
Pay the man!
That's a more reasonable deal than I expected.
lolleren
9 years ago

WR talent is so easy to be replenished? If that was the case, shouldn't we have as deep a WR group as we had before losing Driver, Jennings and Jones.

If the team wants to be competitive, it needs more than one reliable WR. We were lucky last year that neither Jordy or Cobb go hurt. I wouldn't expect that to be the case for another year. We need depth to have a chance at a SB.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I am not saying it is "easy" the point i was trying to make was 3-fold:

1. Aaron should be able to compensate for lack of top end slot receiver
2. Eddie lacy and a decent O-line helps the Offense more than a slot receiver
3. Packers have a true WR1, which makes the need for paying top dollars for a slot receiver a luxury, that can be bypassed for other needs.

I agree we need depth, but depth doesnt mean need to pay close to WR1 money for a slot receiver. It can be found in lesser FA or the drafts. That is what it means to have a franchise QB and a running game.

What if the contract is set up like this four year $36 million contract.

$10 million signing bonus which is spread out against the cap via contract duration

2015: $4 million
2016: $6 million
2017: $8 million
2018: $8 million
2019: Free Agent

One thing to remember is that the "per year" is a fluffed up number. You'll notice this is an average of $9 million per year but the cap hit is substantially less.

I would expect a contract like this be to be signed sooner than later for Randall Cobb. Unless someone comes in paying him $50 million over four years.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You are right that a contract can be structured in many ways, and sometimes we get caught up in the numbers too much, since they often do not tell the full picture.
If a 10m signing bonus and a structure like the above iswhat he is looking for in a 4 year deal I wouldnt be rejecting the idea right away, but I dont believe that is the pay day he is looking for in terms of guaranteed compensation.
However when I read 9m a year for a slot receiver, even one with as many facets as Cobb, I would think twice about signing him.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I am not saying it is "easy" the point i was trying to make was 3-fold:

1. Aaron should be able to compensate for lack of top end slot receiver
2. Eddie lacy and a decent O-line helps the Offense more than a slot receiver
3. Packers have a true WR1, which makes the need for paying top dollars for a slot receiver a luxury, that can be bypassed for other needs.

I agree we need depth, but depth doesnt mean need to pay close to WR1 money for a slot receiver. It can be found in lesser FA or the drafts. That is what it means to have a franchise QB and a running game.

Even the best QB need talented receivers to be successful. Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Farve, Brees are all successful because they had WR talent around them. This team will NOT win the SB next year if any of Adams, Abby, Boykin are the #2 receiver next year.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.