Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I wasn't meaning anything towards you, I was just saying that IF I remember correctly, then not many people agreed with what I was saying. Now it seems like lots of people are liking that idea. I'm not trying to say that I came up with the idea or anything, because I didn't, but I just thought of it at that point in time. Anyway, no harm intended.

Carry on.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

I didn't take it personally, more or less stating that I think the thought process that a hybrid can't work is flawed.

So NO worries mate.. I just was making a strong point.

Would a hybrid require a hell of a lot of discipline, good teaching and mindful playing on the players part.. hell yes.

But any zone blitz scheme, regardless of it is being run out of a 3-4 or 4-3 is going to require assignment sure play... otherwise the backend of the defense will even be further weakened.

Zone Blitz schemes are based on confusion and pressure.. to be effective proper drops into coverage areas are a requirement.

Another myth is that if we go Zone Blitz we lose the press coverage on the outside.. not necessarily.. the corners can still press the receivers off the line or even more stay with them in coverage and blanket the cleared area with under zones..

But to your point.. didn't mean to make it personal.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

Going back to the 3-4 4-3 hybrid, I made a topic about it a while back, saying that it might be a good idea. If I remember correctly, nobody thought it would work. Now, it seems like a lot of people want it....haha.

Sorry if off topic, but i'm just sayin'...

"Since69" wrote:

OK. I'll man up. I remember being against a hybrid 3-4/4-3. And I'll continue to be against it until I see it work well.

My reasoning, which I'll admit may be flawed, is because we've all seen the clusterf**k that resulted from the hybrid ZBS/non-ZBS we tried to get our O-line to play.

In both cases, it's two different schemes, requiring different types of players and different mindsets. It takes a very special (and rare) combination of players and coaches to make any kind of hybrid scheme worth the trouble.

Maybe Capers can make it work with the players we have (and the players we have yet to acquire), but I'm skeptical.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Year is the big difference to me on the Oline comparison.. here you have two gents (Campen and Fonteno) that are traditional drive blocking people, both played the position and will naturally teach principles that they are familiar with..

That leads to a blended scheme already.. so now add to it some of the ZB principles and you have a mess..

On defense to run this "hybrid" you are going to have to have a mind that understands the principles of each and can develop a basic concept to hang upon the team regardless of front alignment.

Again.. we don't have any clue where Dom will take this defense.. but one thing I am pretty confident in, it will be a heck of a lot more creative than the past 3 years.

We forget we were somewhat successful with a one concept approach where our talent basically carried us.. just think of the potential with that talent and some creativity behind it.

Potential to be scary.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Ok back on topic....haha.

I just hope that the contract gets signed today. I'll be SO pissed off if Capers somehow scampers away to the Giants.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i think it's already signed go.pack.go. McCarthy has a press conference at 1:00 today. it'll be the announcement of Capers.
UserPostedImage
Since69
15 years ago

Ok back on topic....haha.

I just hope that the contract gets signed today. I'll be SO pissed off if Capers somehow scampers away to the Giants.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

He must already be signed, or very, very close to it. What else could MM's 1300 presser be about?
UserPostedImage
Since69
15 years ago

i think it's already signed go.pack.go. McCarthy has a press conference at 1:00 today. it'll be the announcement of Capers.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Great minds, bozz. Great minds...
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
you know it.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
That's true....I'm stupid don't mind me.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
oh no worries.... we don't mind. :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Right now I am so tempted to say, "Fuck Adam Schefter!" But I won't, because I'm actually a nice guy (see my profile for details). Still, I am pissed at him for his underhanded tactics. If you guys scroll a few pages up, I was calling him to task for his snide tone, insinuating that because the Packers had mentioned Dom Capers as a candidate, they were basically doomed to watch helplessly as he was hired elsewhere. As I pointed out there, I believed that in his desperate quest for an "angle," Schefter was completely missing the point -- the previously mentioned candidates never had any intention of coming to Green Bay. The Packers weren't striking out on these candidates; they were being used by them.

Call it blind faith or whatever, but I remained confident in our administration that they were waiting for a quality -- as opposed to a trendy -- hire. The very fact they were moving slowly, and not simply making snap decisions to scoop up unemployed retreads, bolstered my confidence in them. I didn't see the reason for an exaggerated sense of urgency that could easily backfire.

And now we have an absolute dynamo as our next defensive coordinator. To say I'm thrilled is such an understatement. We already have quality personnel in Green Bay. With the addition of such a nasty, respected force on the coaching staff, I can only imagine our defense will respond with renewed vigor and aggression in 2009.

With our awesome receiving corps, amazing quarterback, a healthy defense, and lines that are certain to be improved through the draft, we're headed for a great year, folks.

And as for Sean McDermott? As I said in the chat yesterday, after watching his defense collapse to the ARIZONA CARDINALS, there was no way in hell I wanted him on our team. We saw way too many late-game collapses on our own team last year.

So yes, as the lone guy who voted for Dom Capers on this site, I am feeling quite smug, thank you very much. 😃
UserPostedImage