DakotaT
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think was you that gave me shit about comparing Nelson to Ed Mccafferee for this same reason! I laughed then as I do now! The Packers and New England tend to have a lot of white players.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Marques Eversoll is the one in the tweet, my name is not Marques Eversoll. I didn't think that needed to be clarified so bluntly, but regardless I hope that clears up any confusion for those unable to discern the difference.

If i were to liken Wes Welker to a Packers WR I would go with Randall Cobb.

I haven't seen enough of Jared to make any kind of educated assumption on whom his talents resemble.

I really like the improving from within concept the Packers employ. It is a winning strategy. After all, if you can't train/coach up the players you choose, what good are you? This is the Green Bay Packers after all, not the New York Spankees, err Yankees.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
9 years ago
This is great and all but I am officially worried about what is going to happen at the weakest part of our defense (and has been the weakest for some time), ILB. I believe the guys mentioned in the article can come in and produce to the level Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson believe they can.

Hayward could easily become the next Tramon Williams for us.
Hyde in the slot would be perfectly fine with Hayward's move outside.
Goodson is still questionable.

I think the Packers have the depth they need at defensive line. Maybe one or two more additions through the draft to bulk it up.

Enter ILB. Aside from Barrington, who had some decent games this past season, what else do the Packers have? There are maybe 1-2 ILBs in this draft who can actually come in day 1 and play but that is a reach to say the least.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
9 years ago

This is great and all but I am officially worried about what is going to happen at the weakest part of our defense (and has been the weakest for some time), ILB. I believe the guys mentioned in the article can come in and produce to the level Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson believe they can.

Hayward could easily become the next Tramon Williams for us.
Hyde in the slot would be perfectly fine with Hayward's move outside.
Goodson is still questionable.

I think the Packers have the depth they need at defensive line. Maybe one or two more additions through the draft to bulk it up.

Enter ILB. Aside from Barrington, who had some decent games this past season, what else do the Packers have? There are maybe 1-2 ILBs in this draft who can actually come in day 1 and play but that is a reach to say the least.

Originally Posted by: Yerko 

I'm worried about both DT and the ILBs. I have no confidence in Raji being good enough and while Guion proved better than expected after the first couple games last year, I still would like better. (And that's assuming he comes back and ends up not being suspended.) And ILB, I'm most with Yerko (though I do think there are more than 1-2 ILBs that could help significantly).

Because, annoyingly, while there are a few good ILBs in this draft, they're either likely long gone even before whatever the max trade-up range might be (15-20?) or are going to be mid-second to mid-fourth range. So to avoid having to settle for the third/fourth tier of draft ILBs (e.g. Taiwan Jones, Jack Ryan), or sacrificing at least one high pick to trade up, finding a trade partner in a draft where the talent looks to make that harder than usual, getting an improvement to ILB in the draft may requiring using a first to draft second-round talent, a second to draft third-round talent, or a third to draft fourth/fifth/sixth round talent.

Kendricks and Thompson will be long gone before #30. I like McKinney, but he's not what I want with a #30. Even more so with Anthony and Perryman. I'm not even sure Kendricks or Thompson is worth a #30, but the other three aren't that instant high-level starter quality that I want from a first rounder. Dawson may be #30 talent, but has major character issues. Perryman to me should be a mid-third or higher, not a second where I expect him to go.

And the other ILBs out there? 4th or later.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
beast
9 years ago

I think the Packers will resign Raji and Guion when they can... and let their young players try to grow more Datone, Boyd, Pennel, Thornton, Robinson and Gaston could all grow still. And of course add more via the draft if someone falls to them.

Enter ILB. Aside from Barrington... what else do the Packers have?

I think Mike McCarthy said former draft picks Palmer and Bradford are going to be at full time ILB now, instead of OLB.

Last year's UDFA rookie ILB Joe Thomas looked like he was the 5th best ILB and with more practice might been able to push for higher but got injured ruining his chances, and got cut/injury settlement and then resign to the practice squad.

Packers picked up ILB Josh Francis from the CFL/IFL... don't know much about him other than he's smaller size wise than one would prefer but said to be athletic and tough.

So not that much as far as known guys.
UserPostedImage
luigis
9 years ago

I think the Packers will resign Raji and Guion when they can... and let their young players try to grow more Datone, Boyd, Pennel, Thornton, Robinson and Gaston could all grow still. And of course add more via the draft if someone falls to them.

I think Mike McCarthy said former draft picks Palmer and Bradford are going to be at full time ILB now, instead of OLB.

Last year's UDFA rookie ILB Joe Thomas looked like he was the 5th best ILB and with more practice might been able to push for higher but got injured ruining his chances, and got cut/injury settlement and then resign to the practice squad.

Packers picked up ILB Josh Francis from the CFL/IFL... don't know much about him other than he's smaller size wise than one would prefer but said to be athletic and tough.

So not that much as far as known guys.

Originally Posted by: beast 

It was threat, anyone who can't lock a position will play ILB next season.
Tolzien is the only exception, he will play CB.
Luis
beast
9 years ago

It was threat, anyone who can't lock a position will play ILB next season.
Tolzien is the only exception, he will play CB.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Palmer and Bradford were moved to ILB in late training camp last year... I think Mike McCarthy was saying they'll remain their and not be moved back to OLB as they had 6 deep at OLB ahead of them (Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Mulumba and Elliott) ... thought Elliott might be passing Mulumba if he keeps improving.

Also I think the Tolzien exception is for him to play Safety (he's Sean Richardson size) which would then free up Hyde to be moved back to CB. :mrgreen:
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
9 years ago

Palmer and Bradford were moved to ILB in late training camp last year... I think Mike McCarthy was saying they'll remain their and not be moved back to OLB as they had 6 deep at OLB ahead of them (Matthews, Peppers, Neal, Perry, Mulumba and Elliott) ... thought Elliott might be passing Mulumba if he keeps improving.

Also I think the Tolzien exception is for him to play Safety (he's Sean Richardson size) which would then free up Hyde to be moved back to CB. :mrgreen:

Originally Posted by: beast 

Why isn't Richardson a candidate for ILB in this defense?
UserPostedImage
beast
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I think he very well might get a stronger chance at that this coming year... at least in the DB/LB role in the dime (6 DB) package. Or at the very least he'll get a chance to compete with the other DBs for the 6th spot in it. Richardson best role would be the dime, which Hyde has been doing in the dime package as it's the most physical and has the most LB type responsibilities.

If they find Richardson is the 6th best DB, they could easily move Hyde to nickel as he played in the nickel package (and of course in this theory Hayward would be outside instead of in the nickel). But of course with Hayward and Hyde flexibility to play just about any of the roles they'll be looking at the other DBs any seeing who's best between outside, nickel and dime and put the 6th best DB on the field.

But who knows... if Richardson shows good in the dime package role and the ILBers don't step up, they might give Richardson more LB type responsibilities.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I love Richardson, and he deserves a lot of credit for bouncing back from that spinal injury. But let's be real, he's the Boykin of the defense.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

11h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.