uffda udfa
8 years ago
I can't stand the term "draft and develop".

There isn't a team in the NFL who doesn't do that. It's like saying "eat and sleep". Everyone does that, too. It isn't some unique strategy to the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I'm really glad the Packers implement the draft and develop (unlike a lot of other teams) philosophy instead of the pluck free agent (and whiff).
UserPostedImage
Porforis
8 years ago

I'm really glad the Packers implement the draft and develop (unlike a lot of other teams) philosophy instead of the pluck free agent (and whiff) and with that we should see some improvement in the defense from the rookies of 2014. This is where they need to take a big jump. I'm hoping for Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix to continue improve and hoping for huge jumps for Khyri Thorton and Carl Bradford.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Honest question as I don't stay super informed outside of our division: What are some examples of teams that are notorious for going nuts with free agents?
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Honest question as I don't stay super informed outside of our division: What are some examples of teams that are notorious for going nuts with free agents?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

There aren't any. It's just a shot at me for some bizarre reason.

Again, there is no team in the NFL who doesn't DRAFT players nor is there a team who doesn't DEVELOP players. It's a cutesy phrase that some Packers fans buy as something special and unique about our franchise. It's also used as an excuse and a sell job to those same fans to be okay with the fact this org doesn't ever go for it...we "draft and develop" like no other team in the league does.

It obviously works on a lot of fans.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
8 years ago

Washington comes to mind.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Bigbyfan
8 years ago

Washington Redskins are notorious for it.

The Bucs are also terrible at it. They've already cut multiple guys that they've only signed 1-2 years ago.

The Eagles are pretty bad. Especially the "Dream Team"

The Raiders can't find quality free agents either.

A team that you could consider "close" to a championship and spent big money is the Broncos. Picked up Talib, Ware, and Ward as their "missing pieces." Yet they still didn't even make it to the conference championship game.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Those FA crazy Eagles signed Brad Jones (remember him?), Walter Thurmond, Miles Austin and Tim Tebow. What a huge splash they made. They spent money on Thurmond and the other guys were very insignificant signings. Miles Austin is making less than Sean Richardson is making, so, I guess, Richardson was a bigger FA signing than Miles Austin.
Ted Thompson signed Guion and Peppers last year.

Skins brought in 5 new guys on D and they brought in guys kinda like John Kuhn was for us on O...2 of those types.
Ted Thompson brought in Sebetic and Francis on D this year. Plus, overspent on Richardson, Cobb, and Bulaga. Also, resigned Raji and Guion (who has a potential suspension coming) and Tolzien.

I'm not so sure our "draft and develop philosophy" is all that special or superior to even Washington's. We just happen to have Aaron Rodgers and RGIII looks to have busted after an impressive rookie season.

Here's what those Bucs did this year:

DATE TRANSACTION
March 25, 2015 Waived LB Brandon Magee.
March 20, 2015 Signed P Andrew Wilder.
March 19, 2015 Signed CB Sterling Moore.
March 12, 2015 Signed S Chris Conte and DT Henry Melton.
March 12, 2015 Signed LB Bruce Carter. Released DE Michael Johnson.
March 10, 2015 Re-signed CB Leonard Johnson and S Major Wright.
March 9, 2015 Re-signed DE Larry English, DE Lawrence Sidbury, TE Luke Stocker and LB Jason Williams.
March 5, 2015 Re-signed C Mike Jenkins.

Oh, and Tampa cut Josh McCown, too.

---Bucs signed more of their own than we did and added very little. They were in the 2015 draft just like the Packers and so were the Eagles, Raiders, and Redskins.
UserPostedImage

sschind
8 years ago

Those FA crazy Eagles signed Brad Jones (remember him?), Walter Thurmond, Miles Austin and Tim Tebow. What a huge splash they made. They spent money on Thurmond and the other guys were very insignificant signings. Miles Austin is making less than Sean Richardson is making, so, I guess, Richardson was a bigger FA signing than Miles Austin.

Ted Thompson signed Guion and Peppers last year.

Skins brought in 5 new guys on D and they brought in guys kinda like John Kuhn was for us on O...2 of those types.

Ted Thompson brought in Sebetic and Francis on D this year. Plus, overspent on Richardson, Cobb, and Bulaga. Also, resigned Raji and Guion (who has a potential suspension coming) and Tolzien.

I'm not so sure our "draft and develop philosophy" is all that special or superior to even Washington's. We just happen to have Aaron Rodgers and RGIII looks to have busted after an impressive rookie season.

Here's what those Bucs did this year:

DATE TRANSACTION
March 25, 2015 Waived LB Brandon Magee.
March 20, 2015 Signed P Andrew Wilder.
March 19, 2015 Signed CB Sterling Moore.
March 12, 2015 Signed S Chris Conte and DT Henry Melton.
March 12, 2015 Signed LB Bruce Carter. Released DE Michael Johnson.
March 10, 2015 Re-signed CB Leonard Johnson and S Major Wright.
March 9, 2015 Re-signed DE Larry English, DE Lawrence Sidbury, TE Luke Stocker and LB Jason Williams.
March 5, 2015 Re-signed C Mike Jenkins.

Oh, and Tampa cut Josh McCown, too.

---Bucs signed more of their own than we did and added very little. They were in the 2015 draft just like the Packers and so were the Eagles, Raiders, and Redskins.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

When he asked for teams that are notorious for it I think he was referring to past seasons and not just this year. You can't tell me that some of these teams have not made more than their share of big splashes, and big flops, in the past. Not even the big spenders are going to spend big every year.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this. Yes every team drafts players and every team develops players but some teams have historically signed many more free agents than others. There are definite philosophies when it comes to building a team that range from exclusively draft and develop (which IMO includes the signing of rookie UDFAs) to a team that relies very heavily on unrestricted free agents. Would you argue that Ted doesn't fall much closer to the D&D side of the spectrum than many other GMs. You are constantly bitching about his lack of participation in the FA market so how do you suggest he is building his team if it isn't through draft and develop. What was it 2 players last year that had played on other teams. If that isn't draft and develop I don't know what is.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
** I split this from the other thread because I didn't want to derail that solid topic **

I do not believe any team is notorious for going nuts with free agents and I did not say anything of the sort.

Sure we can conveniently look at this years free agent pickups for an off season that has not yet concluded and say "look no one uses free agency notoriously!!!" That would be as valuable as watching three quarters of a game and defiantly proclaiming the winner (haha, too soon??). A more valuable measure would be to evaluate all 32 NFL team final 53 roster and how they were assembled. How many on the 53 played for another team? The Packers had just a handful if I remember correctly and the next team was quite further down the line. In other words, they develop their talent rather than acquiring it from someone else and usually that player was drafted by the them.

Really have no interest in evaluating all 32 NFL rosters, but a quick Google search will land you information you seek.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

When he asked for teams that are notorious for it I think he was referring to past seasons and not just this year. You can't tell me that some of these teams have not made more than their share of big splashes, and big flops, in the past. Not even the big spenders are going to spend big every year.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with this. Yes every team drafts players and every team develops players but some teams have historically signed many more free agents than others. There are definite philosophies when it comes to building a team that range from exclusively draft and develop (which IMO includes the signing of rookie UDFAs) to a team that relies very heavily on unrestricted free agents. Would you argue that Ted doesn't fall much closer to the D&D side of the spectrum than many other GMs. You are constantly bitching about his lack of participation in the FA market so how do you suggest he is building his team if it isn't through draft and develop. What was it 2 players last year that had played on other teams. If that isn't draft and develop I don't know what is.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

My point is this... Yes, we "draft and develop" but so does every other team in the NFL. There isn't a team in the NFL who doesn't participate in the NFL draft year after year and there isn't a team who gets rid of all the guys they draft every single year. By definition, all teams...draft...and...develop. That is almost exclusively what Ted relies on. I simply don't like it. I also do not like adding multiple FA's every single year. What I do like is adding a difference maker and we rarely ever do such a thing and that is a major frustration when we have a QB like we have now. Ted Thompson would rather wait 3 or 4 years to see if we might have a blue chipper rather than spend, now, to get one immediately. I think that is ridiculously wrong. He wants to save money and is always thinking about years down the road and misses too much of what is going on right now with his robotic plodding approach that, btw, only works if you have an all world QB.

I admire teams for going for it and trying. People always want to point to the teams that don't win the SB while using FA. Well, our team has been there 1 time this century using draft and develop. See, look at what a failure it is! One SB appearance in 15 years. It's really odd how people look at what they want to see and turn blind eye to reality. Again, I will always admire a team/GM who GOES FOR IT, not one who just plods along hoping and wishing.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.