earthquake
8 years ago

It is still strange how much 40 time is panned here and how much it is used by NFL scouts and GM's. Giant disconnect there.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

If there is a disconnect in how much people care about 40 time here, it's entirely proportional to how frequently you beat the same tired, dead horse of a point. How many posts have you made in this thread talking about speed or 40 times? Probably 20 or more at this point? Do you really think people are confused and do not understand your point of view? On the flip side, the frequency in which you talk about speed gives the impression that you think it's the only thing that matters (even if you've said otherwise in one or two posts, quantity of content has a way of presenting priorities).

If you simply stated your opinion and moved on to the next topic rather than declaring your preference for speed ad-nauseum you would find people much more receptive to your message.

Nobody in this thread has said that Adams is a burner, nor has anyone said that speed is not important, a few people have said that 40 times are meaningless after the draft, but thats simply because 40 times alone do not directly translate to game speed or football ability. Certainly, if you have the choice to pick two otherwise equally talented football players, but one is faster, you go with the fast guy, but that is rarely the case.
blank
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago
Anyone remember Renaldo Nehemiah? World Class hurdler. Favorite to win the 1980 Olympics. Arguably one of the fastest men in the world. Spent 3 years on the 49ers in the 80's. Was used primarily as a decoy because he had limited football skill and talent. But he was fast.

Surely Bill Walsh was stupid. Why play Rice when you have all that speed?
nerdmann
8 years ago

Travis Jervey had two impressive kick returns over 60 yards as well, didn't mean squat. The return by Jeff Janis was nothing special at all. If the initial guy doesn't over-pursue, Janis is down pretty quick. That's the thing about going against 3rd and 4th stringers. You can use that speed to make you look elite. It don't fly against starters.

LeShon Johnson another guy with good speed had a 200+ yard game with the Cardinals and a helluva 56 and 70 yard touchdown runs. Didn't amount to much after wards.

Speed can only get you so far. You need instincts (e.g. Jerry Rice) and good route running (e.g. Antonio Freeman, Greg Jennings). If you can't get any separation, you're toast.

Adams can get seperation, Janis hasn't and just because he was the fastest 4th string guy on a kick return doesn't mean squat.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

In fairness, LaShon Johnson was legally blind. He caught the ball much better after they fixed his eyes. I think he got that laser surgery or something. Ended up with cancer when he went to the Giants.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

If there is a disconnect in how much people care about 40 time here, it's entirely proportional to how frequently you beat the same tired, dead horse of a point. How many posts have you made in this thread talking about speed or 40 times? Probably 20 or more at this point? Do you really think people are confused and do not understand your point of view? On the flip side, the frequency in which you talk about speed gives the impression that you think it's the only thing that matters (even if you've said otherwise in one or two posts, quantity of content has a way of presenting priorities).

If you simply stated your opinion and moved on to the next topic rather than declaring your preference for speed ad-nauseum you would find people much more receptive to your message.

Nobody in this thread has said that Adams is a burner, nor has anyone said that speed is not important, a few people have said that 40 times are meaningless after the draft, but thats simply because 40 times alone do not directly translate to game speed or football ability. Certainly, if you have the choice to pick two otherwise equally talented football players, but one is faster, you go with the fast guy, but that is rarely the case.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

You aren't me, though. It's easy from your perspective in the majority to rip me. I have an unpopular viewpoint on Davante and have from the get go. I don't do this in every thread. I said one thing in the Thornton thread and I'm guessing that's all I will say. This thread was a bait thread to me given my viewpoint. It wasn't meant to be that way but that's how it's perceived by me.

If you want me to not beat a dead horse then don't argue for page after page only to say at the end that you agree with what I'm saying with many qualifiers LOL and then rip me for saying the same thing over and over.

Oh, and I disagree...Barfarn said it wasn't important. It's what makes a forum fun. I like reading all the dissenting views as to why the majority thinks I'm wrong. Steve makes good points pretty regularly ...and some others do once in awhile. Barfarn is the Shakespeare of this site. He is on a totally different level from everyone else here. I love it...the differences in posters. Sucks seeing some single ingredient soup all the time. Serve up something else besides the Packers company line. I could talk to any fan of any team and get the same kind of babble.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

You aren't me, though. It's easy from your perspective in the majority to rip me. I have an unpopular viewpoint on Davante and have from the get go.

It's not unpopular to say Davante Adams is not a fast runner. I mean, the facts kind of support that. Now, the topic here is Adams being a steal in the 2nd round. I need two more seasons to action to be confident with saying something like that.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

It's not unpopular to say Davante Adams is not a fast runner. I mean, the facts kind of support that. Now, the topic here is Adams being a steal in the 2nd round. I need two more seasons to action to be confident with saying something like that.

To say Adams is slow is a joke. Dude has more than enough speed to take it to the house.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I would like someone to tell me why they like him better than Boykin...and... if it was really worth the difference to use a 2nd on Davante and then cut Boykin. Point being Boykin could've given just as much as a UDFA as Davante did as a 2nd. Why waste the 2nd when the difference is negligible if at all?

History is repeating itself... last off season it was how great Boykin was and now he's gone. Now, Davante is great or will be great...he won't be gone, though, because he's a 2nd round pick.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I would like someone to tell me why they like him better than Boykin...and... if it was really worth the difference to use a 2nd on Davante and then cut Boykin. Point being Boykin could've given just as much as a UDFA as Davante did as a 2nd. Why waste the 2nd when the difference is negligible if at all?

History is repeating itself... last off season it was how great Boykin was and now he's gone. Now, Davante is great or will be great...he won't be gone, though, because he's a 2nd round pick.

I like Jarrett Boykin and his Twitter handle is great. Adams won't be going anywhere because he is under contract. Boykin was not and made a decision to sign elsewhere surely due to loaded WR depth on the Packers. It's not that difficult for me to reason with the departure.

Even though I was a big Boykin fan, he had three seasons to shine and he didn't. Adams showed more in one season than Boykin did during all three. Therefore, you keep the one who's producing more with the higher ceiling. Maybe Adams flops? Maybe Adams shines? Maybe those three years of youth will work in his favor?

Boykin was not heralded as being great. He filled in well for what was it, half a season, and did so quite well. Adams is not being heralded as great or will be great. Enough with this turning ant hills into mountains, damn. Most just see Adams having a higher ceiling than Boykin while also being a little younger.

If anything fans were tearing Boykin apart. I explained that it was the QB throwing bad balls (which he would later own up to on his radio show) and yet some still blamed it on Boykin because boy wonder Aaron can do no wrong.

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago
If anything, Janis resembles Boykin. The Packers have little invested in him. He showed nothing in Year 1. Some fans believe he is the new Savior.

Packers have a high round draft pick invested in Adams.

The difference between Boykin and Adams is negligible to people that don't understand football. To Mike McCarthy & TT, there is a difference. I believe in them as their track record is proven. Unlike certain posters...
nerdmann
8 years ago

If anything, Janis resembles Boykin. The Packers have little invested in him. He showed nothing in Year 1. Some fans believe he is the new Savior.

Packers have a high round draft pick invested in Adams.

The difference between Boykin and Adams is negligible to people that don't understand football. To Mike McCarthy & TT, there is a difference. I believe in them as their track record is proven. Unlike certain posters...

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

LOL this could seriously be the dumbest thread I've ever seen on a sports forum.