nerdmann
8 years ago
Jets blog  is analyzing the most successful franchises in the league, so as to determine what makes them so good:

Describe the organization philosophy in one word: Homegrown

Teams often pay lip service to the idea of building through the Draft, but Green Bay buys into it on a level unlike almost any other team.

Great quote from Ted:

Thompson argues there is only so much money to go around, and when it's time to pay players like Rodgers, Matthews, B.J. Raji, Sam Shields and Randall Cobb, you want to have as much money as possible to keep them. Sometimes you choose not to pay as was the case with Greg Jennings, Scott Wells, Daryn Colledge and Nick Barnett.

"If you've done a good enough job of drafting and developing, you're going to have more of those at that stage than you can keep," Thompson said. "But that's, relatively speaking, a good problem to have. You have to try to make good decisions in every deal that you do.

Then there's the issue of getting the star QB. (And let's not forget hiring someone to develop him.)

It was also a gutsy selection because of the potential it had to undermine the front office's relationship with Favre. Favre was royalty in Green Bay. In many ways, his popularity had made him bigger than the franchise by that point. How would he respond to the front office thinking only about the future at an age when he only had the present? There was some degree of risk involved with alienating a franchise quarterback.

People don't give Ted enough credit for SAVING the franchise from our former QB, who had all but taken over control. He had guys on the field loyal to him too, anytime he wanted to freelance. Ted had to have steel balls to do what he did.

Anyway, great article, it's fairly long, so there's much more than just these main snippets.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
greengold
8 years ago

Anyway, great article, it's fairly long, so there's much more than just these main snippets.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Jets blog  
Nelson and Cobb in particular were drafted when the Packers had no great need at the position.

This was an example of a team understanding long-term value of a player is more important than short-term need. Needs change from year to year.

Add Damarius Randall and Quinten Rollins to that list. If Hayward can't get over his injury bug or wants too much money, Ted's critics will want to pretend they weren't crying about back to back DBs at the beginning of the 15 draft.

And why did that dummy draft Davante Adams when we already had a possession receiver? 👍

uffda udfa
8 years ago
The best thing Ted ever did or will ever do is how he handled the Favre situation...I thought he handled it beautifully.

He overpays for his own and that is going to haunt him soon. Shields, Matthews, Cobb, Nelson, Burnett, Bulaga, etc.

From a financial standpoint, what is the difference in paying your own very very close to market price and in some case more like with Shields vs. using free agency? The money would be spent at about the same rate. What we're doing is paying more for talent that isn't as good as that of the FA market because we want our system guys. Financially, it hurts us as much as free agency and talent wise we're worse off because we've overpaid our own less talented guys.

Why did he draft Davante when we had James Jones? James was nearing the end (he was 30) and was going to command some decent money. Not sure it was very forward thinking to draft a guy for a position you knew you were letting go. How in the world is that forward thinking? You KNEW you were letting James go and would have a giant hole. Was it forward to draft Damarious and Q when we were letting Tramon walk? No.

Forward would've been drafting Rodgers replacement now or drafting Melvin Gordon...that is forward type thinking...not drafting a WR for a WR who was leaving. My goodness.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
8 years ago
We have been contenders almost every year of Thompson's tenure. His resume speaks for itself.
blank
nerdmann
8 years ago

The best thing Ted ever did or will ever do is how he handled the Favre situation...I thought he handled it beautifully.

He overpays for his own and that is going to haunt him soon. Shields, Matthews, Cobb, Nelson, Burnett, Bulaga, etc.

From a financial standpoint, what is the difference in paying your own very very close to market price and in some case more like with Shields vs. using free agency? The money would be spent at about the same rate. What we're doing is paying more for talent that isn't as good as that of the FA market because we want our system guys. Financially, it hurts us as much as free agency and talent wise we're worse off because we've overpaid our own less talented guys.

Why did he draft Davante when we had James Jones? James was nearing the end (he was 30) and was going to command some decent money. Not sure it was very forward thinking to draft a guy for a position you knew you were letting go. How in the world is that forward thinking? You KNEW you were letting James go and would have a giant hole. Was it forward to draft Damarious and Q when we were letting Tramon walk? No.

Forward would've been drafting Rodgers replacement now or drafting Melvin Gordon...that is forward type thinking...not drafting a WR for a WR who was leaving. My goodness.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

lol back to Melvin Gordon.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

We have been contenders almost every year of Thompson's tenure. His resume speaks for itself.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

Yup...and he's had a QB named Favre or Rodgers the entire time and a D that's been mostly terrible and ST's as well.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
8 years ago

Yup...and he's had a QB named Favre or Rodgers the entire time and a D that's been mostly terrible and ST's as well.

But we have won many games, including a Superbowl. I don't understand how you could define him as a failure. So many teams would give a nut for a fraction of the success we have seen as packer fans. Your negativity is a bore.

blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

But we have won many games, including a Superbowl. I don't understand how you could define him as a failure. So many teams would give a nut for a fraction of the success we have seen as packer fans. Your negativity is a bore.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

I don't define him as a failure at all. I just don't define him as "stellar" as many do. It isn't negativity...it's a lack of homerism that is boring to you.

One of the things I always ask is how many years does our amazing GM get to build a defense? 10 of 12 1st rounders used on D. He has been very good drafting offensive players and very poor drafting defensive players. His saving grace is he drafted Rodgers which covers a multitude of sins.

Matt Millen could GM an Aaron Rodgers led team to divisional championships in the NFCN.

The full picture on Ted Thompson is who he has drafted not the success we have because we have one of the greatest QB's of all time. If we had a good defense Rodgers would've been to more than 1 SB. I'm not sure whom else to blame if not for TT?

Won't use FA hardly ever yet overpays for guys like Shields, Burnett and you could say Clay Matthews, too. He has to pay our defenders a ton because we have so little talent over there that we can't afford to let the decent players we have get away. He doesn't use FA which is applauded by most but overvalues his own and that is also praised. Ted Thompson can't lose with the crowd here. As long as we keep winning division titles he's a smashing success because the team got hot ONCE.

UserPostedImage

gbguy20
8 years ago
Guys we should probably just make a thread about Ted Thompson or something
greengold
8 years ago

Why did he draft Davante when we had James Jones? James was nearing the end (he was 30) and was going to command some decent money. Not sure it was very forward thinking to draft a guy for a position you knew you were letting go. How in the world is that forward thinking? You KNEW you were letting James go and would have a giant hole.

Nice revisionist history. James Jones was long gone when Davante was drafted. The cry from the troll was

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1972898-why-mike-mccarthy-is-so-high-on-packers-wr-jarrett-boykin 

Read that and come back here and tell me that we really needed to draft Davante with our 2nd rounder. We didn't.

There were similar cries when he took back to back DBs this year. But you knew that.

Now he overpays the guys he drafted and that is going to haunt him? Dude can't do anything right according to you.

Where? Where is my hatred toward TT?

Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.