buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

I read a recent article discussing who was the better, coaches Mike Holmgren or Mike McCarthy. Here's what I think: I will call it a tie; both have streets in Green Bay named after them; both have/had HOF quarterbacks play for them; both are known for being able to develop QBs; McCarthy has more wins (second most in GB

LombardiAve  wrote:

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I still like Holmgren better as an OC, but I like McCarthy's loyalty more. To Holmgren, we were just another team. He chose to be here, because our team sucked for a long time, so he viewed us as a challenge and he knew that all the success would be attributed to him, there would be no doubt it was his efforts and system that brought it about.

Soon as he sniffed an offer elsewhere, he was out the door.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I would take Holmgren 100 times out of 100. Mike McCarthy strikes me as not very smart. Holmgren was a brilliant man.

As for the subject of this thread: Complacency is the enemy of success. There is always something to look at to improve.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
8 years ago

I would take Holmgren 100 times out of 100. Mike McCarthy strikes me as not very smart. Holmgren was a brilliant man.

As for the subject of this thread: Complacency is the enemy of success. There is always something to look at to improve.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

How are we complacent? We are legitimate Superbowl contenders this year, while being a few unfortunate plays away from the Superbowl last year. Its called consistency and its what we do.

blank
dhazer
8 years ago
I think Nerdman gave the perfect reason to take Homgren over McCarthy. Holmgren came to a team that was used to losing and he changed the feeling of the team. He would make adjustments to help put his team into a position to win. Mike McCarthy on the other hand isn't very good at making adjustments and he is to bullheaded to change. He also took over a team that was used to winning and he also had 2 hall of fame quarterbacks covering up his flaws. Holmgren had the very raw Brett Favre and made him the great qb. He also had the respect of his players and I don't see that from MM. We have seen how he throws players under the bus and the arguments on the sidelines.

So after all that I say the best head coach we had was Lindy Infante 😝 but seriously I don't think it's even close. And Buckeye I am sorry but loyalty only goes so far and have we even heard of any other team wanting MM?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I think Nerdman gave the perfect reason to take Homgren over McCarthy. Holmgren came to a team that was used to losing and he changed the feeling of the team. He would make adjustments to help put his team into a position to win. Mike McCarthy on the other hand isn't very good at making adjustments and he is to bullheaded to change. He also took over a team that was used to winning and he also had 2 hall of fame quarterbacks covering up his flaws. Holmgren had the very raw Brett Favre and made him the great qb. He also had the respect of his players and I don't see that from MM. We have seen how he throws players under the bus and the arguments on the sidelines.

So after all that I say the best head coach we had was Lindy Infante 😝 but seriously I don't think it's even close. And Buckeye I am sorry but loyalty only goes so far and have we even heard of any other team wanting MM?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Mike McCarthy has shown quite transparently to be fluid. The only stubbornness he's shown is not letting Aaron Rodgers rack up points and instead failing to bail on the running game at what most feel would be a good time. Against Seattle, the Packers with Aaron were moving the chains and once they went to a heavy dose of Eddie Lacy, everything stopped. You have to put the ball in your best players hands and even if that means HB Toss option to throw to a TE crossing or scramble. As I quoted McCarthy, he had a statistic he wanted to hit of a certain amount of carries. That was a mistake.

McCarthy has handed the play calling duties to someone else and the Packers will reap the benefits. McCarthy needs to COACH or call plays, not both.

It is hard to say we fans have nothing to complain about after being a handful of minutes away from a Super Bowl berth against a team they beat just a month or two prior. However, I get the point and the point is valid. You can find nearly two dozen team fan bases that have zero sympathy over our misfortune from the past season.

Some of us make the mistake that if we are not unruly to the Packers it means we are complacent. No. We can respect and appreciate the immensely fortunate position we are in while also wanting some more rings to validate said fortune.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
hahahaha. A lot of love for Holmgren.

Holmgren never seemed like a Packer kind of guy; He never seemed like a football kind of guy. He did seem like a San Francisco or Seattle/west coast kind of guy. All of that is irrelevant to winning football games, but then both of them have been big winners, and the question seemed to be "who do you prefer?" I'll take McCarthy. The crap about him not being intelligent or not having respect of his players is just that - crap.

I will also say, coaching doesn't have a lot to do with it IMO. A coach can mess things up if he is too much ego-driven and tries to inflict his way on what is working, etc., but PERSONNEL is what it's all about. Holmgren had Favre; McCarthy has Rodgers; If either were to coach losing teams, the expression "f-ing up a wet dream" comes to mind.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

How are we complacent? We are legitimate Superbowl contenders this year, while being a few unfortunate plays away from the Superbowl last year. Its called consistency and its what we do.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

The title of the thread is: Fans have NOTHING to complain about ... That implies everything is perfect. It isn't. Never will be. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about. DL sucks...TE is weak... our HC could definitely better.

Our consistency is...we consistently fall short.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

The title of the thread is: Fans have NOTHING to complain about ... That implies everything is perfect. It isn't. Never will be. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about. DL sucks...TE is weak... our HC could definitely better.

Our consistency is...we consistently fall short.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So YOU DO actually read the topic titles after all!! 😂 🤣 😂

You are correct, every fan has something to complain. It's impossible to be perfect and that context shouldn't be ignored with this topic either. I believe the phrasing is more relative than literal.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

both should have won another Super Bowl.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.