uffda udfa
8 years ago

I also believe this is quite telling.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Gotta admit that when he uttered this in the presser, I felt like he'd been given info that it might not be as bad as reported. I suppose it could be that he heard it was really bad and was commenting he was going to hope and pray against it.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
  • musccy
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

James is a NY Giant. He might get cut, though...who knows?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I didn't think he was picked up, then googled to be sure, and yeah, you're right he's with Eli (for now) so I edited my post.
sschind
8 years ago

Part of what Aaron said was really interesting...he was asked how he felt about WR depth? A: We'll see...we're still looking to find who the impact players are going to be. He didn't mention RC18, Davante or anyone. Feel like he was trying to motivate his guys to try and be that guy because he knows what a gaping hole Jordy is leaving in our O. He wants someone to be him and knows that ain't likely to happen so he's doing all he can.

Our team won the SB in 2010 after a tough year of injuries. We thought we were going to win it and then Jermichael went down and we didn't think we were anymore. We won that sucker with 15 guys on IR.

Curious to see what this does to this team and who, if anyone, really picks up some of that slack. A stupid comment but it really vexes me for FF. Where are the numbers coming from this year? Will RC18 be doubled reducing his numbers, or will they go up without Jordy? Lacy is the guy I think can really help especially in passing game. I'm telling you...Eddie Lacy has a real shot to win NFL MVP, especially now.

By seasons end I don't think this will affect the overall numbers much. I still think we will be one of the top offenses in the league. What I don't think will happen is that any one player will step up and take over his numbers. Scratch that, I think Cobb will put up Nelson like numbers but we won't see Adams, or Montgomery suddenly getting Cobb like numbers from last year. It will be a team effort and everyone, including the #4 guy will be involved if only because they will be trying to figure out who the #4 guy is now.

I agree with your assessment of Lacy. I'm not sure he will rack up a ton of extra rushing yards because of this because I don't really think it will affect our overall strategy that much (that's an interesting side note. How much will any changes be due to a new play caller and how much will be due to Jordy's injury?) but I do think he will be a bigger part of the passing game. I'm assuming FF means fantasy football and as high as Lacy is on most lists now could this push him even higher?

uffda udfa
8 years ago

I didn't think he was picked up, then googled to be sure, and yeah, you're right he's with Eli (for now) so I edited my post.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Jennings could be cut in Miami...want Greg Brainwashed Jennings back? 😁

You just know this gave a shot in the arm to all the other teams in the NFC and especially the NFCN...I haven't been to any of their forums but ya gotta believe optimism they can displace us as division champs now is running rampant. Our team never seems to play well in the lead role. It needs to be doubted and underappreciated...they play pissed and focused.

Life is full of things that look terrible at first but down the road you look back and see the blessing in disguise. I think that will be one of those cases. Sure, it could be the opposite and we could go 6-10, too, but I doubt it.

Thankfully, we've assembled a great D with all those 1st round picks so that when our O takes a big hit we can rely on that great D. Sorry, I just had to... 😠
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
8 years ago
They'll more than likely stack the box and force us into some tough plays to convert. That is where Lacy can really make a difference, if he just wills his way through guys like he has been known to do. A WR other than Cobb, and not a TE, will HAVE to gain the trust of Aaron Rodgers. There may be a lot more dump offs this year I bet, but we still need a down the field threat to keep defenses honest.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
musccy
  • musccy
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

Life is full of things that look terrible at first but down the road you look back and see the blessing in disguise. I think that will be one of those cases. Sure, it could be the opposite and we could go 6-10, too, but I doubt it.

😠

I'll pass on GJ and his sister's twitter account, btw :)

100 % agreed with this. Of course it COULD lead to a down year, but many of us on this board have been high on some of the other WRs - you've loved Janis and liked Pinkard - many have been Adams fans, and virtually everyone has become a Monty fan. Who knows what's going on with Abby. Point being, there is no shortage of WRs at 1265 right now who have the talent and measurables you want to see in an NFL WR.

The talent is there. The opportunity is now there. The sky hasn't fallen yet.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

They'll more than likely stack the box and force us into some tough plays to convert. That is where Lacy can really make a difference, if he just wills his way through guys like he has been known to do. A WR other than Cobb, and not a TE, will HAVE to gain the trust of Aaron Rodgers. There may be a lot more dump offs this year I bet, but we still need a down the field threat to keep defenses honest.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

88 cent... could be OROY (offensive rookie of the year)... We could have Lacy as league MVP and 88 cent as OROY. I can see both happening. We might need it.

Will be very curious to see Aaron's INT number early on this season. We may see some uncharacteristic picks from him with guys not knowing what they're doing...that is why I think signing someone like Reggie Wayne is not out of the question nor is it foolish. Aaron is one of those details freaks...it's why he's so good. Wayne gets those things playing with Manning all those years. He would make a ton of sense. Not sure how fast he is anymore but he knows what to do our there...kind of like a Kuhn at the WR position.

I think Kuhn made it today with Jordy leaving. Aaron needs all the players he can trust right now and Kuhn is one of them.

Will Janis wake up and seize this moment? Will Pinkard come out of nowhere? Can Scarecrow White do something? Will Abbrederis come back from his concussion and play like expected in the beginning? Can Cobb play outside allowing Abby to play slot?

We don't have a #1 WR now...wasn't sure we did with Jordy. Cobb ain't a 1...nor is Davante. Can one of the guys not thought of as a 1 now be a 1 like 88 cent? That guy has a chance. He has the look. Just can't wait for next week to see who they line up out there with Aaron and who practices with the 1's all week. Someone crank it up...C'mon Pink...C'mon JJ, C'mon 88 cent...C'mon Davante, be that MVP, now....C'mon Randall, at 25, you're the veteran of this WR corps....lead it, brother.

UserPostedImage

all_about_da_packers
8 years ago

We don't have a #1 WR now...wasn't sure we did with Jordy. Cobb ain't a 1...nor is Davante.

Wow, Jordy wasn't a #1? Seriously? If catching just under 100 catches and having more than 1500 yards in a season doesn't qualify as "#1 WR" then almost all elite WRs (Fitzgerald, Megatron, Dez) are not good enough to be #1.

This is a huge blow to the offense - frankly, one I'd feel slightly less bothered by if Mike McCarthy was still calling plays. There were times last year that Jordy flat out made TDs out of nothing -- outside of Buffalo, Jordy seemed to be certain at least once every week to catch a ball 10-15 yards between the CB and S, and then beat both for a 50-70 yard TD.

In short, a pretty important big-play cog just got taken out of the Packers' offence. It's going to be hard to replace a WR like Jordy who has exceptional timing, runs routes so well that he can create separation by sheer timing of cuts, and basically knew how to work the sidelines like no other.

You'd think Janis would have the skills to fit in well in place of Jordy, but he lacks requisite timing, route running, and sure hands. So it's a gamble to rely on him. But amongst White / Janis / Cobb 2.0 (aka Ty Montgomery), someone will need to step up. Montgomery seems more suited to the slot, and in pre-season games White and Janis have played outside receiver snaps. I'd guess one of Janis / White is #4, regularly mixed in with more of Quarless lining up outside as well.

That should be enough to make us a good Offense with #12, assuming Lacy stays healthy and is effective.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Wow, Jordy wasn't a #1? Seriously? If catching just under 100 catches and having more than 1500 yards in a season doesn't qualify as "#1 WR" then almost all elite WRs (Fitzgerald, Megatron, Dez) are not good enough to be #1.

This is a huge blow to the offense - frankly, one I'd feel slightly less bothered by if Mike McCarthy was still calling plays. There were times last year that Jordy flat out made TDs out of nothing -- outside of Buffalo, Jordy seemed to be certain at least once every week to catch a ball 10-15 yards between the CB and S, and then beat both for a 50-70 yard TD.

In short, a pretty important big-play cog just got taken out of the Packers' offence. It's going to be hard to replace a WR like Jordy who has exceptional timing, runs routes so well that he can create separation by sheer timing of cuts, and basically knew how to work the sidelines like no other.

You'd think Janis would have the skills to fit in well in place of Jordy, but he lacks requisite timing, route running, and sure hands. So it's a gamble to rely on him. But amongst White / Janis / Cobb 2.0 (aka Ty Montgomery), someone will need to step up. Montgomery seems more suited to the slot, and in pre-season games White and Janis have played outside receiver snaps. I'd guess one of Janis / White is #4, regularly mixed in with more of Quarless lining up outside as well.

That should be enough to make us a good Offense with #12, assuming Lacy stays healthy and is effective.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

Yes, seriously. Larry Centers, yes, Larry Centers a RB caught 100 balls in a season a long time ago...was he a #1 WR? No, he was a RB.

Jordy is a very nice player...he's not dominant...never has been. Feasts at Lambeau for some reason and wasn't quite so good on the road. Jordy ain't any of the other guys you mentioned. Jordy is more of a 1a WR...not THE GUY but close. Same with Cobb.

Let's see what our org has in store. Will Ted Thompson do something? Will he just roll with "the guys he's got"?

Denver beat us in the SB with who at WR? Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey... but they had Shannon Sharpe and Terrell Davis. We are missing that special TE but we have Eddie Lacy. It seems you need great WR's a great TE or a great D. We sure don't have 2 of the 3. Waiting to see if we still have great WR's.

UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
8 years ago
From JSOnline.com: I hope this kid is telling the truth and I have no reason not to believe him:

Montgomery spoke about the future with the caveat that he wasn’t considering Nelson out for the season, only that if asked to do more he was ready for the assignment. He said he felt he knew the offense comprehensively.

“I feel like I can do anything in this offense,” Montgomery said. “I don’t want to sound like ‘next man up, get him out of there.’ That’s what I’m trying to get at. If that’s the case, yeah, I’m ready.

“I can do whatever they need me to do. I’ll do my part.”

---We always debated who was more important...Jordy or Randall. If Randall is better or close to better than Jordy... if Davante is close to being better than Randall (that's a big if), and 88 cent is better or close to better than Davante (I think he will be) then we're not as sunk as it seems. If 88 cent is really ready I see no reason for him not to be better, much better, than Adams was for us last season. The big hole in this is Davante really this star they say or is that a bunch of blown smoke? For my tastes, the best bet is 88 cent can be as good as Cobb was and Davante can move back to 3rd. So, it isn't necessary for Davante to be our 2 in order for us to stay strong. As long as one of the two can be Cobb like we are better off than we think. Janis, Abby, Pinkard or White can fill the other roles.

Will have to really credit Ted Thompson drafting 88 cent looks to be an unbelievable move right now. That pick could be the key to our fortunes.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.