DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Do you guys think we have this position squared away yet, or do you think we will continue to be scorched repeatedly by teams with good offensive coordinators using tight ends and running backs to embarrass whoever we throw in there?

I'd really like to see Matthews rushing the passer instead of covering the ineptitude of our GM to fill a position he once played. This shit is getting old.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Whether Clay likes it or not (or I could be wrong), I believe he is better suited to roam around and not just stick to one position. A lot of our success this year will be determined by Barrington improving and someone else (maybe it's Jake Ryan) stepping up.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Porforis
8 years ago

Whether Clay likes it or not (or I could be wrong), I believe he is better suited to roam around and not just stick to one position. A lot of our success this year will be determined by Barrington improving and someone else (maybe it's Jake Ryan) stepping up.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Better suited because it's a strength for him, or more because everyone else is that much worse?
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

Better suited because it's a strength for him, or more because everyone else is that much worse?

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I agree with the question, but I do believe Clay messes with the opposing OCs doing what he now does. That being said it would still be great to have a solid ILB. All we seem to have is question marks other than Clay.

DoddPower
8 years ago

I'd really like to see Matthews rushing the passer instead of covering the ineptitude of our GM to fill a position he once played. This shit is getting old.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Clay is an average OLB these days. He is potentially an elite general linebacker, which still includes many opportunities to rush the passer. As far as I'm concerned, moving Clay around only helps him be a more productive player and is a good thing for the team.

There aren't many ILB better than Clay, imo. Especially considering how long he's played the position.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
If Perry and Neal can hold the edge and get outside pressure so Clay can be kept at ILB more, I think we could be pretty set at the position. Clay's size and speed makes him almost perfect for ILB being able to play side to side and blitz. That would work even better if Raji and Daniels can keep lineman off him.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
beast
8 years ago
Clay Matthews the first 8 games where he played strictly OLB

Combined Tackles: 19
Total (Solo) Tackles: 15
Assist Tackles: 4
Sacks: 2.5
Pass defended: 4
INT: 1

Clay Matthews last 8 games when they rotated him between OLB and ILB

Combined Tackles: 42
Total (Solo) Tackles: 30
Assist Tackles: 12
Sacks: 8.5
Pass defended: 5
INT: 0

I don't know how Matthews feels about playing ILB... but I got a feeling he'd take the 8.5 sacks over the 2.5 sacks any day of the week especially when it comes with more tackles.

Based on stats Matthews is rushing the passer AND covering ILB and your either/or opinion may be a mistake as he could be doing both and making the team better isn't shit.
UserPostedImage
beast
8 years ago

Do you guys think we have this position squared away yet, or do you think we will continue to be scorched repeatedly by teams with good offensive coordinators using tight ends and running backs to embarrass whoever we throw in there?

I think it all depends on what they plan to do... starting with strictly ILBers, I think Barrington will struggle some in pass coverage especially against those RBs that are really small WRs types, but during the season the Packers will probably ask their DBs to cover them more than they did in the pre-season.

I think Palmer is a back-up....

When watching Jake Ryan, I kept being reminded of what the coaches kept saying about Lattimore... they kept throwing out the idea that they're cross training a couple of the guys, and at one point singled out Lattimore as a guy that could both play ILB but on certain blitzes or motions could switch positions with the OLB post snap hopefully confusing the offense and I think they have something really good in Ryan but he might not be ready yet.

I think moving Matthews around last season, helped everyone... well everyone except Peppers and the OGs. Offenses couldn't always predict Matthews would be locked up with the LT anymore...

Also some have been wondering (me included) with teams using DBs more and more... would the Packers maybe use a hard hitting Safety as a coverage ILB. The answer so far has been "no". But the Packers have openly said last year they wanted to get Hyde more involved and openly said this preseason that they were looking for ways to get Richardson more involved in the defense even letting him taking some snaps in the nickel role. And they kept 5 Safeties (at least so far). So could this year be different?

Last year I suggested using a S as a ILB a little bit and some argued that it was a horrible idea because other teams will use the run to blast them out... and I questioned that by asking, is Brad Jones really that more physical and able to hold up against the run than Richardson? ... I think the answer was/is no ... and this year I'll say have the same question about Palmer... I like Palmer and how athletic he is, but he doesn't seem quite natural there and Richardson might be more athletic and just as physical. At least in certain roles or packages it might be interesting to think about. Also maybe use Hyde if he's not being used else where.

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

Clay is an average OLB these days. He is potentially an elite general linebacker, which still includes many opportunities to rush the passer. As far as I'm concerned, moving Clay around only helps him be a more productive player and is a good thing for the team.

There aren't many ILB better than Clay, imo. Especially considering how long he's played the position.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

You said it first - what I was about to say. I liken Matthews to Ernie Banks late in his career - getting a little too slow to be great at shortstop, but moving to first base with a smooth transition and still hitting home runs - the baseball equivalent of sacks. Matthews can still get to the QB from ILB - maybe more effectively. Matthews and Barrington make that position solid. Ryan might eventually be good; Palmer was more decent than I thought he would be; The bottom line is we are head and shoulders better than when it was those sad sacks Hawk and Jones there.

As for OLB, Peppers needs to hold up for another year; I have no confidence in Perry; Neal seemed to do the job in the preseason, but he's injury prone. The key is making maximum use of Jayrone Elliot, who I think is destined for stardom.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago

I think Ryan will be decent once he gets up to speed. I like Palmer too, so far. Time will tell.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (18h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.