Zero2Cool
8 years ago

The Ravens, at 1-5 through six games, are as a practical matter done. Sure, they could in theory run the table and make it to the playoffs. However, it's a long shot at best that it will happen. So with veteran receiver Steve Smith still intent on retiring after the season, the Ravens should consider...

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

Mike Florio wrote:

UserPostedImage
greengold
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I guess you/Florio are suggesting trading a draft pick? Ted and Ozzie both love their draft picks. Hard to see Ted letting go of one but Ozzie might be receptive to a late round one in trade.

What else would they trade? Janis? Maybe the Ravens would want a young guy with that much raw potential if they are strictly looking at next year and beyond. But it is possible that Janis could develop enough this year to help the Packers Offense by the playoffs.

I know John Harbaugh is really high on Q. Rollins, at least he was gushing about him on the NFL network during the draft after the Packers took him. But I like Rollins too, more than I like just half a season of a 36 year old WR.

isocleas2
8 years ago
Is Smith still fast enough to play outside effectively? If so he's worth a late round conditional pick, but at 36 no one would give more than a 6th imo. I think the Packers though will stand pat and wait to get healthy or for Abbe/Janis to step up.
beast
8 years ago

Is Smith still fast enough to play outside effectively? If so he's worth a late round conditional pick, but at 36 no one would give more than a 6th imo. I think the Packers though will stand pat and wait to get healthy or for Abbe/Janis to step up.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

Well in his 5 active games... he's got at least 135 yards in 3 of them. The other two games were duds, but as the Ravens #1 WR he MIGHT be getting doubled team... and one of those games he was knocked out of the game, after someone went helmet first into his back/side injuring him and knocking him out of the game.

I think the bigger question is does he run the same routes/patterns as the Packers look for and use the same methods.... as Jimmy Graham is struggling from going from the spot method (where they tell you what spot to be) to the read/react method of read the coverage and react to it, as the Packers use.

Ted and Ozzie both love their draft picks. Hard to see Ted letting go of one but Ozzie might be receptive to a late round one in trade.

What else would they trade? Janis? ... Q. Rollins...

Originally Posted by: greengold 

From what I've heard from Thompson, I think he does his best to avoiding trading players away only doing in when his arm is twisted and/or when he doesn't think the player will make the 53 man roster anyways.

He's traded Favre (clear problem there), Corey Williams (after the Browns illegally told him (or his agent) not to resign with the Packers because they're planning on paying him more in FA, Williams refused to sign the franchise tag without being traded) and a few guys that had almost no shot at making the roster. So I'm doubting Ted Thompson would trade a player, especially a young one with potential.

So if it were to happen, I'd be guessing draft pick, like Ted Thompson did trading for RB Ryan Grant.

But unless the Ravens are willing to give up the season a trade doesn't make sense for them... as Steve Smith basically is their passing attack as he has 33.8% of their passing yardage (AND that's with Smith missing 20.8% of the playing time with injuries as he missed 5 quarters of football (of 24 quarters) due to injury.

So Smith has 510 yards... the next 3 guys behind him in rec. yards have a combined 575 yards.

So while the Ravens trading Smith make sense in the idea their season is almost dead and he could be retiring very very very soon... it doesn't make sense for the Ravens in the sense you want Raven's fans behinds in the seat AND NOT BOOING while they're sitting there. Smith is almost too important to their offense to let go, because if the Ravens do, their offense and their QB they just spent a large amount of money resigning will look horrible (and they just let WR Torrey Smith leave this offseason which upset fans (who turned around and burned them on a 76 touchdown which put the 49ers over the Ravens)

Also interesting note, the Ravens are 1-5, but all their games have been less than 7 points so one more TD (and P.A.T.) would of gave them a win.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
We don't need him.

All our guys can get deep. They're not speed merchants per se, but neither is Jordy.

We've got James Jones.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I like Steve Smith, but he seems to only have huge games when everyone has counted him out. It seems without that "prove you wrong" chip, he's just another WR. I don't believe a trade would be good, unless Cobb, Adams and Montgomery are hurt worse than we are aware of. Kind of scary to think that only James Jones, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbraderris are the only healthy WR on the team.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

Kind of scary to think that only James Jones, Jeff Janis, Jared Abbraderris are the only healthy WR on the team.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And Jones has had some injuries and Abby is one concussion away from retirement.
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
Like those who pushed for Jones to come back when Nelson went down. I think if we are desperate for WR help we look at Jennings as he would be an instant plug and play guy who wouldn't need to learn the playbook and already has an understanding with the QB.
nyrpack
8 years ago
no, adams and cobb should be getting healthy with the week off , james jones got a little nicked up but still catches tds, and janis and abby should be getting better as the yr goes on !!

jimmy b.
RainX
8 years ago
I wouldn't necessarily have a problem giving up a late round conditional pick for Smith, but I still feel this team needs more help at TE than they do WR right now.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.