Barfarn
8 years ago
As usual w/ all trades we got to look at what both teams stand to gain or lose and determine the $$$$.

Trade deadline is 4PM Nov. 3. A trade can be made after that; but the player(s) will need to clear waivers.

Smith:
One thing encouraging Balt not to trade Smith is that he’s stated he’s retiring after 2015. If he’s traded Ravens will take on his 2016 1.17 cap hit on SB; if he retires Balt. is off the hook.

If the trade occurs mid season:
In 2015 Balt. takes on about a 1.75M cap hit (which can be pushed to 2016) and they’ll save about 1.5M in salary. In 2016, they'll save 4.17M (If they take all cap hit in 2015). With only dead money being the 1.75M. If certain they’re not going to POs, this could happen. [If the trade does not occur and Smith retires they’ll still save the 4.17M in 2016].

GB would be on the hook for Smith’s 1.5M salary for 2015. He’d be under contract for 3M in 2016 with only cap consequence being 3M only if Smith is on roster for game 1. Pack can cut him at any time before that w/ no 2016 cap consequence.

Jennings (I like The Kanata Thrilla's idea better) :

If traded mid season:

In 2015 Miami takes on about a 2.25M cap hit (which can be pushed to 2016) and they’ll save about 450K in salary. In 2016 (If they take all cap hit in 2015) they’ll save 4M. With only dead money being the 2.25M. [If no trade: in 2015 capwise they only must pay Jennings the balance of his 450K salary this year [2015 SB is already spent] and in 2016 he’s under contract for a 5.5M cap hit, of which they could save 4M if they cut him, pushing the 1.5M dead cap into 2017.

GB would be on the hook for Jennings’ 450K salary for 2015. He’d be under contract for 4M in 2016 with only cap consequence being 4M only if Jennings was on roster for game 1. Pack can cut him at any time before that w/ no 2016 cap consequence. [Note he has a $100 workout bonus so if they cut him after OTAs, there’s be a $100 cap hit]

36 YO Smith has a bad back, IMHO, no way Ted Thompson invests 1.5M and a late pick into it.

I can see Dolphins just releasing 32 YO Jennings, who has been really bad, if they need roster spots to secure youngsters w/ potential. I cant imagine they would not take a swap of our 6th for their 7th. Under the new coach I’d say he’s #5 WR. Landry and Mathews are their #1 and 2; Jennings after starting first 4 games was replaced by Stills as the #3 in game 5 (week 6) [he was not on injury report]. And they got #14 pick Davante Parker.

In first 4 games Jennings had 7 catches 54 yards, 0 TDs on 18 Targets on 161 snaps. In 5th game the WR snaps went as follows:
Landry: 63
Matthews: 60
Stills: 28
Jennings: 9
Parker: 6
hardrocker950
8 years ago
While I think he could do some serious damage with our offense, the other issues have me 99% sure it won't happen.

Ted would probably only consider any trade for him if he has another year left in him and would return next season. Considering any draft pick could become a lifer for the team - it seems like a bad idea if the guy you are trading for won't contribute beyond this season.

When you throw the Jordy situation into the mix, it gets really messy. With young receivers that appear to have some potential and Jordy likely back next year - you are pretty much left working with the guys you already have.
luigis
8 years ago
It would slow the development of Adams, Janis(lol) and Abby.
I think our offense is fine, I would trade for an elite safety or CB if available we only have to find a way to stop the pass and the rest is fine.
Luis
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Where do people get these absolutely bonehead IDIOTIC ideas?

HELL NO! Don't even remotely consider a trade like that. We don't need somebody else's garbage.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
greengold
8 years ago

One thing encouraging Balt not to trade Smith is that he’s stated he’s retiring after 2015. If he’s traded Ravens will take on his 2016 1.17 cap hit on SB; if he retires Balt. is off the hook.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Are you saying Steve Smith would have to pay back 1/3 of his last signing bonus to the Ravens if he retires with a year left on his 3 year contract?

Or are you saying the remaining 1/3 that hasn't been charged yet is just "written off" and never charged against the Ravens cap?

Because if you are saying it is written off, that would be a HUGE loophole in the salary cap!! If it is true, I'm VERY surprised I haven't heard of that before.

Barfarn
8 years ago

Are you saying Steve Smith would have to pay back 1/3 of his last signing bonus to the Ravens if he retires with a year left on his 3 year contract?

Or are you saying the remaining 1/3 that hasn't been charged yet is just "written off" and never charged against the Ravens cap?

Because if you are saying it is written off, that would be a HUGE loophole in the salary cap!! If it is true, I'm VERY surprised I haven't heard of that before.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Yes Greengold that's what I'm saying. Most contracts [maybe all] have forfeiture provisions for SB to be repaid if a player retires, otherwise when retiring the SB is treated as being released. That said, i don't know if Smith's contract has one; but when ya sign a 35 YO WR for 3 years the Ravens would have been nuts not to put that in the contract.

it doesn't happen in GB too much because Ted Thompson usually errs on releasing guys early than late. But both SF's Anthony Davis and Borland had to pay back their unearned prorated SBs.

The "loophole" of which you speak I'm guessing is applicable in a situation of Hawk's renegotiating a few years back. That is, Hawk retires and a week later signs a new contract, GB wouldn't have the cap hit under the old contract. Very interesting! still trying to get my head around it. 😂

There may be some things like getting permission to un-retire or simple rules preventing it. And as has been suggested in other threads if there' s a loophole, Belichek would have already used it, then it'd be closed.

of course to pull off a deal like this, both team and player need to agree. one of the problems with paying back unpaid SB is that the player has already paid tax on it and must get the tax back from fed and state.
beast
8 years ago

Where do people get these absolutely bonehead IDIOTIC ideas?

HELL NO! Don't even remotely consider a trade like that. We don't need somebody else's garbage.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Speaking of idiotic ideas... where did you get the idea that Smith is garbage?

He might be old, but this year he's 13th in catches, 12th in receiving yardage, 3rd in catches over 20 yards (which Packers are basically begging for more explosive plays in the passing game which they define as over a certain amount of yardage)...

Packers would love to add more explosive plays to their passing game.
UserPostedImage
greengold
8 years ago

Yes Greengold that's what I'm saying. Most contracts [maybe all] have forfeiture provisions for SB to be repaid if a player retires, otherwise when retiring the SB is treated as being released. That said, i don't know if Smith's contract has one; but when ya sign a 35 YO WR for 3 years the Ravens would have been nuts not to put that in the contract.

it doesn't happen in GB too much because Ted Thompson usually errs on releasing guys early than late. But both SF's Anthony Davis and Borland had to pay back their unearned prorated SBs.

The "loophole" of which you speak I'm guessing is applicable in a situation of Hawk's renegotiating a few years back. That is, Hawk retires and a week later signs a new contract, GB wouldn't have the cap hit under the old contract. Very interesting! still trying to get my head around it. 😂

There may be some things like getting permission to un-retire or simple rules preventing it. And as has been suggested in other threads if there' s a loophole, Belichek would have already used it, then it'd be closed.

of course to pull off a deal like this, both team and player need to agree. one of the problems with paying back unpaid SB is that the player has already paid tax on it and must get the tax back from fed and state.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

When I first read your post

1.17 cap hit on SB; if he retires Balt. is off the hook.

I thought you were saying that the last 1/3 of signing bonus just disappeared off the books, never charged against Baltimore's salary cap. That was the "loophole" I was talking about. I am almost positive it doesn't work that way, and that loophole doesn't exist.

On the other angle, having to pay back bonus money to retire a year early. Quite possible, and why in the hell would he want to do that? You are right, if he is cut or traded he doesn't have to pay back a dime. He is probably lobbying like crazy to be traded if he would have to cough up over a million dollars cash to retire as a Raven this year. Heck, he probably asked Florio to write that article. 🤦

beast
8 years ago

Another reason this trade probably won't happen is "respect"... Thompson has shown he knows how players judge and gauge "respect" ... though financial compensation. And Thompson has shown he understands how locker rooms work and showing veteran respect they deserve especially when it comes to adding outsiders into the fold.

When the Packers signed outsider CB Charles Woodson for more than the veteran Packers CB Al Harris, they turned around and upped Harris contract to slightly over Woodson (I can't remember if all the numbers where above Woodson or just one part).

Also when Randy Moss was looking to take a discount to get the heck out of Oakland, rumor had it Thompson main goal (financial wise) was to get Moss to agree to a pay cut to below that what Donald Driver was making and Thompson wanted to press the point that Driver was the leader of the WRs when Moss hung up on Thompson.

So my thought would be if they traded for Steve Smith, would try wan to cut Smith contract OR up James Jones contract to the point Jones is earning equal amount as the new outsider to keep everything cool in the locker room.

Also Thompson probably doesn't want to cut anyone.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
I wouldn't be against getting him for a late round pick. There is another player I would look to get before Smith and he sits in San Fran.

And I'm not referring to Davis. Anquan Boldin another proven vet while not a spring chicken definitely still producing and one heck of a tough player. Teams only have so many chances at winning a SB, paying a couple million to try and improve that chance is a good investment IMO.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (4h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (7h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (7h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (7h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (8h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (8h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (19h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (20h) : damn those vikings
beast (20h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (20h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (20h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (20h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.