nerdmann
8 years ago
Alot of the shit talk about this offense is based on the idea that we are unable to throw deep. I do not believe this to be the case.

1: Do we have players who can stretch the field?

YES: Ty Montgomery. Kennard Backman. Jeff Janis. But hey, all of our guys run at least a 4.5. That's what Jordy ran. Hell, I'm pretty sure Cobb ran a 4.4. There is no reason any of these guys cannot get deep.

2: Aaron holding the ball: Aaron ALWAYS holds the ball too long.

The problem now is that, rushers are not getting pushed back with the flow. They are pursuing no more deeply that AAron drops back. They will not allow themselves to be pushed back around Aaron, so he has nowhere to step up. This is keeping him contained in a collapsing pocket.

Previously, Aaron had been scripting his roll outs, based on the OLBs and DEs getting pushed around him by our Ts. But defenses have adjusted. WEEKS ago. I think this goes back to the Chiefs game. However our offense has NOT adjusted. It makes you wonder if they even WATCH film. Do NOT plan to roll out, if teams are purposely preventing you from doing so.

But we all know there's never gonna be any misdrection. No traps, to enema draw, only a few token screens, ran with 11 in the box. That goes back to throwing deep.

3: "Guys can't get open." Another line of bullshit. Mike knows he is not smart enough to scheme guys open. This means that they scheme exclusively for match ups. The problem here is that against a defense like we played against yesterday, those DBs are pretty good. So you want to at least TRY to scheme guys open. Normally Aaron just throws the ball up and expects the guys to make a play on the ball. But between holding it for 8 seconds in a collapsing pocket and not trusting his guys to be able to come down with it against good DBs, he's getting sacked and having to just throw it away.

4: Whatever happened to the concept of the PUMP FAKE? Or the DOUBLE MOVE? Granted, sometimes this necessitates holding the ball a little longer than you'd like (albeit rarely for Aaron's customary 8 seconds.) But getting deep doesn't mean you have to have a Randy Moss type guy who's 6'2"+ and runs a 4.2. Jordy's not that fast. Jordy gets deep mainly on double moves, but also on pump fakes. When's the last time you saw Aaron pump fake? You don't think a DB is gonna jump or make a false step as soon as Aaron cocks his arm? Because if you look at the film, you're not gonna see Aaron pump faking that much. So they know when he cocks that arm, the ball's really coming out.

5: 11 in the box: These defenses are putting all their guys up at the LoS. They are challenging the Packers to throw it deep. They are DARING the Packers to TRY. This is when you come with the PUMP FAKE. This is when you come with the STOP AND GO. This is when you come with the DOUBLE MOVE. As I've said, we do have guys who can flat out run. But we don't HAVE to use those guys if they're not ready, or in the case of Montgomery, if he's hurt.

But fake those bitches out. Help your WRs.

6: Hard Count: This is another tool in your arsenal. Yesterday we caught them on a few. I think we had one 12 men penalty (also with an offside) and then I think we had an additional two neutral zone infractions. Aaron obviously refuses to run any more than an occasional token RB screen, or any draw or trap plays whatsoever, but one thing he does do is he uses his cadence to keep the Dline off balance.

The Dline will usually start out a game playing aggressively. Aaron will use this to provoke them into jumping offsides. The Dline will then catch on to this, and they will begin to hold back a little. Once they do this, Aaron will go with the quick count and get a half a second edge on them. Then they start to be more aggressive again, and Aaron can catch them offsides once more.

Therefore I conclude that the concept of misdirection is not foreign to Aaron. Why not do this same thing to DBs, with pump fakes and double moves? Sure, the back shoulder is great, but that's basically sandlot football. You haven't been playing with Davante for 8 years yet. Wait until you develop that before you begin relying on it exclusively.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Not a word about the REAL problem - the OFFENSIVE LINE.

You can't throw deep; Hell, you can barely throw short when you have about a half second before the pass rushers are on you. And why was Denver able to do such a damn good job in coverage? Because with our sick excuse for an O Line, it didn't take a whole lot of extra people coming in; They mostly did it with no more than their D Line - everybody else can drop back in coverage and the pass rush still gets right in.

In contrast, the Packers have to put together a bunch of intricate blitz packages just to get close, and even then they couldn't get to a slow old QB. And this was against a messed up by injury/rebuilt O Line - same as with San Diego. WHY can those teams and pretty much every other piece something together and make it work, while we, with the best O Linemen we have fairly healthy and together, STILL play like absolute crap - both pass blocking and run blocking or the lack of either? Is it piss poor O Line coaching? Is it crap for personnel?

Is anybody STILL in denial that the problem is the O Line?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
luigis
8 years ago

Not a word about the REAL problem - the OFFENSIVE LINE.

You can't throw deep; Hell, you can barely throw short when you have about a half second before the pass rushers are on you. And why was Denver able to do such a damn good job in coverage? Because with our sick excuse for an O Line, it didn't take a whole lot of extra people coming in; They mostly did it with no more than their D Line - everybody else can drop back in coverage and the pass rush still gets right in.

In contrast, the Packers have to put together a bunch of intricate blitz packages just to get close, and even then they couldn't get to a slow old QB. And this was against a messed up by injury/rebuilt O Line - same as with San Diego. WHY can those teams and pretty much every other piece something together and make it work, while we, with the best O Linemen we have fairly healthy and together, STILL play like absolute crap - both pass blocking and run blocking or the lack of either? Is it piss poor O Line coaching? Is it crap for personnel?

Is anybody STILL in denial that the problem is the O Line?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Texas I agree with you but it's not about the OL, it's about coaching (and Rodgers). Our OL has the problems you mention but it is much better than the Chargers OL. We just have to plan for it. Quick passes and let Cobb and JJ try to beat them 1 on 1 we know they can.
The problem is that this leads to some potential interceptions but it also leads to some potential big plays.

The whole plan last night was ridiculous and after seeing a couple of plays Rodgers should have changed it like it or not. The routes were never going to develop because we didn't have enough time and the WRs were not going to get open because they have a good secondary, just throw the ball to Cobb or Jones and let them make a play. We can't win if we don't even try.

Luis
blueleopard
8 years ago
Aaron wasn't playing like the surgeon of a pocket passer that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are. Instead he kept on relying on his athleticism to make plays.

Aaron is so reliant on this, he pisses on the route tree and waits for his receivers to get open, which has now become the most predictable thing the Packers offense do. All the DB's have to do is stay in close proximity of the WR's and Rodgers won't dare throw their direction.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
With no creativity in play calling, no they can't. What happened to the staple of the west coast offense, the slant. Which is as good as a run, and sets up Slugo's. this offense only does a few things, plays up the sidelines where they try to use the backshoulder, bubble screens, drags with cobb and scramble drills.

time to change up what is being done because it isn't working.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
nerdmann
8 years ago

Texas I agree with you but it's not about the OL, it's about coaching (and Rodgers). Our OL has the problems you mention but it is much better than the Chargers OL. We just have to plan for it. Quick passes and let Cobb and JJ try to beat them 1 on 1 we know they can.
The problem is that this leads to some potential interceptions but it also leads to some potential big plays.

The whole plan last night was ridiculous and after seeing a couple of plays Rodgers should have changed it like it or not. The routes were never going to develop because we didn't have enough time and the WRs were not going to get open because they have a good secondary, just throw the ball to Cobb or Jones and let them make a play. We can't win if we don't even try.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

The interior is fine, the Ts are suspect. Fact is, Aaron holding onto the ball way longer than Manning or Rivers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
8 years ago

Aaron wasn't playing like the surgeon of a pocket passer that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are. Instead he kept on relying on his athleticism to make plays.

Aaron is so reliant on this, he pisses on the route tree and waits for his receivers to get open, which has now become the most predictable thing the Packers offense do. All the DB's have to do is stay in close proximity of the WR's and Rodgers won't dare throw their direction.

Originally Posted by: blueleopard 

+1 I like how you put it, if the defense keeps a guy near a WR Rodgers wont throw it there. Considering we have JJ and Cobb this is mind boggling, it's like saying you prefer to lose and have 0 INTs rather than try to win and be picked a couple of times.

Luis
nerdmann
8 years ago

+1 I like how you put it, if the defense keeps a guy near a WR Rodgers wont throw it there. Considering we have JJ and Cobb this is mind boggling, it's like saying you prefer to lose and have 0 INTs rather than try to win and be picked a couple of times.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

#statwhore

That is an issue, but for me the primary issue is not being psychologically prepared for football games.

However I do believe we have the ability to strike deep. Bunch for,actions, rubs, picks. Slants would be great.

But Ds are putting 11 in the box. If Aaron's gonna hold it for 8 seconds anyway, why not pump fake and throw over their heads?
nerdmann
8 years ago
How about a goddamn flea flicker, if that's what it takes?

With 11 in the box, they're gonna converge on Lacy.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

#statwhore

That is an issue, but for me the primary issue is not being psychologically prepared for football games.

However I do believe we have the ability to strike deep. Bunch for,actions, rubs, picks. Slants would be great.

But Ds are putting 11 in the box. If Aaron's gonna hold it for 8 seconds anyway, why not pump fake and throw over their heads?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

They only had 10 in the box

But damn those are perfect times to throw the slant. If the DB on the receiver doesn't make the tackle that leaves on Safety to stop a TD.

There is one primary reason they don't throw the quick slant. Shotgun/pistol. the WR either needs to wait or take a step before making his move, unlike with Favre, Montana, Young who from under center were able to take one step and throw and the WR was able to go directly into the slant before the DB can get his hands on them.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.