luigis
8 years ago

How about a goddamn flea flicker, if that's what it takes?

With 11 in the box, they're gonna converge on Lacy.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'm not a big fan of trick plays but I'm also not a fan of ultra vanilla offenses.
Can anyone remember the last time we did a flea-flicker?
Or the last time we run the option pass? Hell I think it was Tony Fisher!

Luis
nerdmann
8 years ago

I'm not a big fan of trick plays but I'm also not a fan of ultra vanilla offenses.
Can anyone remember the last time we did a flea-flicker?
Or the last time we run the option pass? Hell I think it was Tony Fisher!

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Iirc, both Ahman Green and Bubba Franks were left handed, so it would come as a surprise with those guys.

(Isn't Cobb left handed? I know he's played QB before.)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
8 years ago

Iirc, both Ahman Green and Bubba Franks were left handed, so it would come as a surprise with those guys.

(Isn't Cobb left handed? I know he's played QB before.)

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'm not sure how being left or right handed changes things.... but yes, Cobb played QB and he is left-handed.
James Starks also played QB and I've seen Rodgers getting curiously open to the left after handing off to Starks, I suspect that is a trick play being prepared.

Luis
DoddPower
8 years ago

+1 I like how you put it, if the defense keeps a guy near a WR Rodgers wont throw it there. Considering we have JJ and Cobb this is mind boggling, it's like saying you prefer to lose and have 0 INTs rather than try to win and be picked a couple of times.

I don't agree with this logic at all. You must have been a huge Brett Favre fan. There's no reason to just sling passes to guys that are completely covered. Would it really make you feel better if Aaron Rodgers threw 3-4 interceptions that somehow resulted in 10+ points (pick sixes, etc?) I'm all about the Packers giving their receivers a chance, but I think they have done that all season. The receivers haven't been wide open many times at all. Rodgers has squeezed the ball into very tight coverage. He has always done that. The Packers receivers haven't created much separation for years now other than the occasional broken play or great move by Jordy Nelson.

Aaron Rodgers doesn't need to just throw the ball to guys consistently if they are totally covered. He needs to make his reads and look for the best option. That takes time, and the offensive line was horrible against the Broncos. Any quarterback is going to get flustered after taking a few big hits, and Rodgers took many. The Packers have to do a better job of pass protection and scheming guys open. Aaron Rodgers hasn't been good enough, but neither has anyone else on the offensive side of the ball.

Is there anyone doubting that Jordy Nelson is a #1 WR now? The Packers miss him badly. None of the other Packers are anywhere close to his level. Cobb is a good #2, but he is not a #1 WR.
nerdmann
8 years ago

I'm not sure how being left or right handed changes things.... but yes, Cobb played QB and he is left-handed.
James Starks also played QB and I've seen Rodgers getting curiously open to the left after handing off to Starks, I suspect that is a trick play being prepared.

No one expects the ball coming out of the left hand like that. Always worked great with Ahman and Bubba. Iirc there was one where Ahman rolled out and threw it back to Bubba who went deep with it. Not sure if it worked. lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I don't agree with this logic at all. You must have been a huge Brett Favre fan. There's no reason to just sling passes to guys that are completely covered. Would it really make you feel better if Aaron Rodgers threw 3-4 interceptions that somehow resulted in 10+ points (pick sixes, etc?) I'm all about the Packers giving their receivers a chance, but I think they have done that all season. The receivers haven't been wide open many times at all. Rodgers has squeezed the ball into very tight coverage. He has always done that. The Packers receivers haven't created much separation for years now other than the occasional broken play or great move by Jordy Nelson.

Aaron Rodgers doesn't need to just throw the ball to guys consistently if they are totally covered. He needs to make his reads and look for the best option. That takes time, and the offensive line was horrible against the Broncos. Any quarterback is going to get flustered after taking a few big hits, and Rodgers took many. The Packers have to do a better job of pass protection and scheming guys open. Aaron Rodgers hasn't been good enough, but neither has anyone else on the offensive side of the ball.

Is there anyone doubting that Jordy Nelson is a #1 WR now? The Packers miss him badly. None of the other Packers are anywhere close to his level. Cobb is a good #2, but he is not a #1 WR.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

There is a difference between covered, open and WIDE open. Denver had some Wide open receivers but we had open receivers by NFL standards. There were many occasions during the game where guys were open enough.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
DoddPower
8 years ago

There is a difference between covered, open and WIDE open. Denver had some Wide open receivers but we had open receivers by NFL standards. There were many occasions during the game where guys were open enough.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Care to point out some of those occasions? Again, I go back to the point that Aaron Rodgers was rattled by the constant pressure and hits he took. That's going to happen to any quarterback. It's the secret to dismantling an elite QB. The same is true for Tom Brady. That's why protection of the QB is paramount. Once a QB takes some big hits and is rattled, the mistakes snowball. I don't think any QB would have played well for the Packers last night. Give Aaron Rodgers some proper protection and he'll make some things happen.
steveishere
8 years ago

Care to point out some of those occasions? Again, I go back to the point that Aaron Rodgers was rattled by the constant pressure and hits he took. That's going to happen to any quarterback. It's the secret to dismantling an elite QB. The same is true for Tom Brady. That's why protection of the QB is paramount. Once a QB takes some big hits and is rattled, the mistakes snowball. I don't think any QB would have played well for the Packers last night. Give Aaron Rodgers some proper protection and he'll make some things happen.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

If Rodgers needs better receivers and line than we have currently to not look like Jimmy Clausen (like he did last night) then he's not that good. There's no excuse for how bad he was and a lot of the hits he took were a product of him holding the ball and running around. For the record I like that Rodgers extends plays and makes things happen but there's a difference between that and how he's played lately. The last couple weeks he's treating every single play like backyard football. The worst part is late in the game down by multiple scores he was still being conservative with the ball when it wouldn't hurt anyone to take some risky passes. He kept holding the ball instead of giving his receivers a chance which essentially was conceding the game. Also the amount of passes hes throwing in the dirt or way over a receivers head or out of bounds is disturbing. He's been rattled since the STL game and has played super conservatively. It's not just a choice between Rodgers of the last 2 weeks or Brett Favre vs the rams in the playoffs. Rodgers could stand to have some confidence in his WRs and at least give them a chance more often and that wont automatically mean 4-5 INT games everywhere.
greengold
8 years ago

If Rodgers needs better receivers and line than we have currently to not look like Jimmy Clausen (like he did last night) then he's not that good. There's no excuse for how bad he was and a lot of the hits he took were a product of him holding the ball and running around. For the record I like that Rodgers extends plays and makes things happen but there's a difference between that and how he's played lately. The last couple weeks he's treating every single play like backyard football. The worst part is late in the game down by multiple scores he was still being conservative with the ball when it wouldn't hurt anyone to take some risky passes. He kept holding the ball instead of giving his receivers a chance which essentially was conceding the game. Also the amount of passes hes throwing in the dirt or way over a receivers head or out of bounds is disturbing. He's been rattled since the STL game and has played super conservatively. It's not just a choice between Rodgers of the last 2 weeks or Brett Favre vs the rams in the playoffs. Rodgers could stand to have some confidence in his WRs and at least give them a chance more often and that wont automatically mean 4-5 INT games everywhere.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

It just seems like he doesn't trust any of his receivers. Yes Aaron, never throwing an interception is admirable. But throwing it away twice and taking a sack is not going to win many games.

DoddPower
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Eh, Rodgers deserves the benefit of the doubt here. He has been forcing passes in INCREDIBLY tight windows his entire career. A game or two exception against top defenses isn't surprising. I still think the offensive line and coaching are the much bigger issues. Every quarterback needs decent offensive line play. Brady has had it almost his entire career. Rodgers has rarely enjoyed a good offensive line, which has always hampered what he can achieve.

Obviously Rodgers is not Jimmy Clausen. That's just silly. He had a bad game, but so did the entire offense and defense. It's going to happen, especially without great coaching. To act like Aaron Rodgers never gives his receivers chances to make plays just isn't true. It's been a staple of his career. I don't want him to start purposely throwing to well-covered receivers consistently. If they aren't open, continue the progression and find the open guy. That's Aaron Rodgers game, and always has been. Sure, he can take a few more shots here and there. But the same people complaining about Rodgers not taking enough shots will be the same ones complaining about the interceptions that will inevitably result from taking more shots.

I think the better option is better offensive line play and better coaching and play calling that creates more space for the receivers. The Patriots do this year after year with only decent receiving talent outside of Gronk. Rocket balls into great coverage or double coverage wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Denver game. At that point, he'd just be Matthew Stafford except without a Calvin Johnson.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.