Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Oakland Raiders safety Charles Woodson is retiring after 18 seasons.

Continue Reading @ PackersNews 

PackersNews wrote:

He'll be in Canton in five years.

Updated with Peter King article.

“Three players I hold in the same esteem: Junior Seau, Tom Brady and Charles Woodson. To me, Charles is the best defensive back of all time.”
Former Pro Bowl safety Rodney Harrison on Monday night, after hearing that Woodson, 39, will retire at the end of this, his 18th NFL season.

I wish I was writing this column with a CANTON dateline.

On a rainy early evening four days before Christmas, Charles Woodson, 39, sat down in the media room at the Raiders practice facility and told about a dozen Bay Area reporters Monday that he was retiring. “Thursday’s my last home game,” he said, with some emotion in his voice. He wanted fans at his last game in Oakland to know this was the last time they’d see him play football at the place where his NFL career began in 1998. As a Raider. In this coliseum.

In many ways, this was perfect Woodson. The public’s never known him very well, despite his incredible football life. (And yes, NFL Films. You can start doing the interviews around the league in the coming weeks for “Charles Woodson: A Football Life.”) He could have announced his retirement in some glitzy way, but he chose to share it with the beat people he saw most days. “No accident,” said longtime Raider beat man Steve Corkran. And this, from Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle: “I think he respects that we’re here every day, working.” The way Woodson was. As Woodson told the writers Monday: “You guys are the eyes and ears of Raider Nation, our Raiders community, to let them all know that 2015 is going to be my last season playing in the NFL.”

What an NFL career he’s had. What a football life he’s had. Woodson was “Mr. Football” in Ohio in 1994, after he rushed for 2,028 yards and scored 230 points, which is absurd, at Fremont High, halfway between Columbus and Ann Arbor. His old brother loved Michigan, so he picked the Wolverines, and played there three years as a defensive back and wide receiver and return man, earning all-America honors in 1996 and 1997. He beat out Peyton Manning for the Heisman Trophy in 1997. In the 1998 draft, he was selected fourth overall, by Oakland, and he bookended his career with the Raiders: very good, mostly, in 1998 through 2005 and good in 2013 through 2015 in Oakland. Better, in my opinion, with the Packers from 2006 through 2012. Eight Pro Bowl seasons, four first-team all-pro seasons. Fifth on the all-time interceptions list with 65. He picked off Jason Garrett and Warren Moon. He picked off Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Heisman winner. Defensive Player of the Year winner. Super Bowl winner. All-Decade Team (2000s) cornerback. Twice the NFL interception king. Tuck Rule Game combatant. And the only player in NFL history with at least 50 interceptions and 20 sacks. And Presidential jouster.

Woodson (holding frame) and the Packers visited President Obama after winning the Super Bowl following the 2010 season.

When President Obama, avowed Bears fan, said he’d host the Bears at the White House when they won the Super Bowl in 2010, and then the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC title game and won the Super Bowl, Woodson wore a jersey saying, “See you at the White House.” So Obama, when the Packers actually made it to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, said: “I have learned something that many quarterbacks have learned. Don’t mess with Charles Woodson.”

That season takes into account my favorite Woodson story. You may recall, months earlier, when Woodson, with two minutes left in the first half of Super Bowl 45, watched as Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw deep up the left sideline to wideout Mike Wallace. Woodson turned and was in stride-for-stride pursuit. Woodson dove trying to make a play on the ball, and he landed on his chest and left shoulder, cracking the collarbone. Woodson could feel he was badly hurt, but he stayed in one more play before the pain got to him. He went in for X-rays, and there was no doubt about it. Busted.

When Woodson found out the extent of his injury, he was inconsolable. The Super Bowl was the one thing in football he hadn’t won. “I haven’t cried that much in I don’t know how long,” he said that day.

But he wanted to address his team at halftime. Coach Mike McCarthy let him.

“You know how bad I want this, guys …” Woodson said, and that was it. Bawling.

At his locker, two hours after the game, and after reliving the moment time and again for all to hear, Tim Layden of Sports Illustrated and I were the last two reporters in the locker room. Woodson looked at us.

“Now I’m going to ask you for a favor,” said Woodson, who’d dressed all by himself until this moment. (I timed it. It took him 97 seconds to put on his black dress shirt.) The collarbone was not just chipped. It was broken all the way through.

Woodson turned his back to us, his left arm already through the sleeve of his black jacket, his eyes closing to help bear the pain.

“Help me with my jacket.”

Woodson broke his collarbone breaking up this play during Super Bowl 45 in Dallas.

Layden and I both reached to help him lift the jacket in position so he could push his uninjured arm through the sleeve. Woodson did it, and there he stood, the man in black, happy with himself.

“I’m a champion,” he said. “It’s all I ever wanted. We’re going to go see President Obama. I hope he’s got good doctors, in case I want to get a second opinion.”
He liked that one.

“I feel like I’ve reached my rightful place in history,” he said.

I asked him what he thought Al Davis might be saying tonight.

“‘I should have never let him get out of here,’” said Woodson, channeling his inner Al.

A couple of equipment men helped him pack up, and slowly, Woodson was out the door. As he left, he yelled a joke to one of the Packers’ team medics. “Hey doc!” he said. “If we had a game next week, would you shoot me up?”

Woodson is still playing the game at a high level. His eight takeaways this season (five interceptions, three fumble recoveries) is second best in the NFL.

It’s not fashionable or even admirable to joke about shooting up people to play football anymore. But that’s the football ethos of Charles Woodson. He’s been playing with a shoulder that kept popping out—it happened again Sunday, and he went out for a few plays, then went back in the game against Green Bay—but he wouldn’t sit.

“I watched him on tape, and I could see him grabbing his shoulder all the time,” Rodney Harrison said Monday night. “He wasn’t 100 percent healthy this year. His shoulder was killing him. For him to give effort like that … I love him. I friggin’ love him. He gets me pumped up. He did what I could only dream about, to play that long. And at that level. To blitz, cover, tackle, hit, intimidate, teach the way he did. Fantastic. He is fantastic. Who is friggin’ tougher than Charles Woodson!”

I asked Harrison if he was sad Woodson was retiring.

“Sad?” he said. “No! I am very joyful. I didn’t want to see a guy who had such a great career hurt himself. I didn’t want to see him hurt for life. But what I will miss is his class. Never did he draw attention to himself. He just played. Now, a guy makes a tackle after a four-yard gain and he jumps up and says, ‘Look, world! Look at me! That’s not Charles Woodson. And that makes him even more special.

“I don’t even know him very well, but of course I will miss him. He’s an extension of me, Troy Polamalu, Rod Woodson, Darren Woodson, Ed Reed, Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater. His desire is just like that. Playing with pain, just like that. But you take everything about him, at corner and safety, and I believe none of them can do what he did, all the things he could do, year after year.”

That’s Woodson’s legacy. Wouldn’t every player want that sort of legacy?

Continue Reading @ MMQB  ...

Peter King wrote:

UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
8 years ago
One of my all time favorites.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
musccy
8 years ago
I was kind of surprised to read this. Not that I paid that much attention, but he seemed to be having a respectable year on a clearly ascending franchise...thought he might want to stick it out a little more.

Either way, what a player he was throughout his career. It's hard to imagine the Packers could have won the SB w/o his skills and leadership.
Tezzy
8 years ago
In the end, one of my favorites to watch, to the end.

Never a Wolverine I would acknowledge in public that I liked.
Never a Raider I would acknowledge in public that I liked.

Until they played, and played well, for the Packers.

Charles Woodson, One... of a kind.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
voiceofreason
8 years ago
Will miss watching him greatly. Just made big game changing plays all the time. Could have been instrumental in another super bowl if it weren't for the stupid tuck rule. First Ballot no doubt. Ted got him at a great price too.
blank
DakotaT
8 years ago
Loved watching Wood and Al Harris lock down receivers. Very good player and deserves to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.
UserPostedImage
RainX
8 years ago
I guess with Woodson retiring now, should we discuss him getting put into the ring of honor or his number retired? The guy was basically the leader of our defense for a good 5+ seasons and won his DPOTY and SB ring with us. For a few years he and Al Harris were probably one of the better CB duos in Green Bay history. He's definitely a lock for the hall, but I'm interested to see how much he'll get honored in Green Bay.
blank
blueleopard
8 years ago
Green Bay Hall of Fame, but not in the Green Bay Ring of Honor.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
yooperfan
8 years ago

should we discuss him getting put into the ring of honor or his number retired?

Originally Posted by: RainX 

I'm guessing that won't happen even though he probably deserves it as much as Reggie White.
Just a gut feeling, but we shall see.
Charles was a behind the scenes leader who didn't seek attention unlike Reggie with his bigger than life personality.

DarkaneRules
8 years ago
I find myself at a loss for words at the moment. Needless to say, I'll be watching a lot of Woodson highlights this week.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

11h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.