MintBaconDrivel
8 years ago
Fantastic analysis by Prisco.

Who the heck is that guy wearing the No. 12 Green Bay Packers jersey?

It can't be Aaron Rodgers. Is it that look-alike Brit who made a commercial with him? Even that guy might have more success throwing it than Rodgers has had this season and especially the past three games.

The Rodgers-led Packers offense we've come to expect -- the explosive, entertaining and, most importantly, winning offense -- hasn't shown up much in 2015.

This version is a clunky, ugly, laborious offense that isn't rolling up big numbers and didn't win a division title for the first time since 2010. This offense can't run it. The line can't protect. The receivers don't win. And Rodgers is a shell of himself -- or a shell-shocked version of himself.

Rodgers has been sacked 46 times, the second-highest total for any passer, five behind league-leader Blake Bortles. This is stunning for a team that had five returning offensive linemen back from 2014, and have a quarterback in Rodgers who is great escaping the rush and seeing the field.

Rodgers can still move away from pressure, but he's held the ball longer this season in large part because the receivers can't get open. When Rodgers hits the top of his drop, the ball has to be ready get out in the Green Bay system. Most of the time, when he's ready to load, the receivers are plastered. That leads to his dropping his head to take a look at the pressure in front of him, and sometimes it leads to missed chances and him leaving clean pockets.

It's hard to blame him when he's taken a beating like he's taken this season. The line has had its share of injuries, and veteran left tackle David Bakhtiari, who missed the past two weeks, wasn't playing great when he was in the lineup. Right tackle Bryan Bulaga missed four games, and his play is down. And don't even mention backup Don Barclay. The guy is like a turnstile when he plays.

In the past two games, against playoff teams in the Arizona Cardinals and Minnesota Vikings, Rodgers was sacked 13 times, lost three fumbles, two for touchdowns, and was picked off twice.

The Packers have four touchdowns in the past three games. That used to be a game's worth when the offense was rolling.

Despite all the issues, they are still in the playoffs. The go to Washington this week to play the Redskins in an NFC wild-card game. If they are to win there, they need more from this offense, and more from Rodgers.

All year I've been waiting for him to turn it on and get back to being the Rodgers we've come to expect. It just hasn't happened. Even when coach Mike McCarthy took back play-calling duties from Tom Clements, little changed. Sure, there have been moments where they've moved the football, but it just doesn't look right.

Rodgers' completion percentage is 60.7, which is the lowest since he became a starter in 2008. It's nearly three percentage points lower than his number from his first season as a full-time starter. His completion percentage this season ranks him 26th in the league.

His per-attempt number is down to 6.7 yards per throw, which ranks 30th in the league. Since 2009, he's been over 8.0 yards per attempt in every season and was at 9.2 in 2011 and 8.4 last season.

With Rodgers struggling, the offense finished 15th in scoring and 25th overall. Rodgers was 17th in the league in third-down passing. Seventeenth? This guy has been a third-down assassin in his career. In his career, Rodgers had a passer rating of over 100 in five seasons on third down. This season, it was 85.3 with a completion percentage of 51.9 percent.

As a team, the Packers converted 33.65 percent of their third downs this season, ranking 27th in the league, and 24.4 percent the past three weeks. They were at 46.67 percent in 2014.

The biggest issue is that the receivers aren't fast and there is little creativity to help them get open. When Jordy Nelson went down, the Packers lost their best receiver and that led to teams playing a lot of man coverage against the Green Bay receivers and daring them to win.

They've loaded the box to stop the run, which slowed that part of the offense, and nobody can win outside. The Packers have a system that uses mostly isolation routes, which means the receivers have to beat their man coverage with their speed and their ability to run routes, rather than help from a pick or a rub or a bunch formation.

That's all well and good when the line is good and Nelson is on the field, but it hasn't worked this year.

Here's a look at a play from last week's loss to the Vikings that shows the problems the receivers are causing.
[list]

• Play: Third-and-8 at the Green Bay 29 with 13:35 left in the second quarter
  • Offense: Posse (3WR, 1TE, 1RB) shotgun, offset back
  • Defense: Nickel, man-free, safety blitz[/list]

• On this play, as you can see, the Green Bay receivers didn't win. When Rodgers was ready to throw, nobody was open. That allowed blitzing safety Harrison Smith to come off the edge and dump Rodgers.

UserPostedImage
    Part of the problem here is that there are no quick, in-breaking routes to counter the blitz. That gives Smith enough time to come around the corner and dump Rodgers. The routes have to be adjusted for the blitz and the coverage. They were not.

UserPostedImage

What might help is changing the approach. Rarely do the Packers run crossing routes with picks or rubs or use bunch formations to free a receiver. They used one last week against the Vikings that had a big play written all over it, were it not for a great play by corner Xavier Rhodes.

Here's a look:
    UserPostedImage

What I liked about this was that they used a bunch formation to the right, rather than space their receivers out in isolation routes.
    UserPostedImage

Cobb came out of the bunch on a cross and got a rub from tight end Richard Rodgers from the other side on a cross. That freed him up, and Rodgers hit him with the pass, but Rhodes kept it to a 4-yard gain. What you can see is that if Rhodes doesn't make the play, this has big-gain potential. They need to do more of this.
    UserPostedImage

I went back and watched some of the Green Bay tape from 2014. One of the games I watched was their victory over the eventual Super Bowl-champion Patriots. What I saw was creativity that hasn't been used much this season, but needs to be used in the postseason.

They used Cobb in a variety of ways, including lining him up a bunch in the backfield. That helped create matchup problems for the New England secondary and linebackers. The Packers did it some late last week against the Vikings when they were playing catch up, and it seemed to work as well.

Here's a look at a big play to Cobb in that New England game with him coming out of the backfield.

Continue Reading @ CBS Sports 

Pete Prisco wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
    UserPostedImage
    warhawk
    8 years ago
    The first play on the sack baffles me. How could the RB not see the Safety on the line and ignore the possible blitz coming? I mean I could see if it was a delayed blitz but the safety came straight off the snap and unaccounted for. The receivers all seemed totally oblivious or make any adjustments not that Arod had time to get the ball out. At the end of the play it looked like Cobb was guarding the DE in front of him vs. the other way around. Keystone cop material.

You would think maybe that Arod would step over to his RB pre-snap and say "hey, watch that safety". I mean he communicates with the guys in front of him all the time to be sure they know what he see's out there....
    or...he recognizes the blitz coming and changes the play to send the RB out around it if in fact the safety comes. He would of only been open by 10 yards. The whole left side was left wide open once he committed.

It just makes you shake your head when you see a play like this and everyone on the field appears totally oblivious to what is going on.

"The train is leaving the station."
    musccy
    8 years ago

It just makes you shake your head when you see a play like this and everyone on the field appears totally oblivious to what is going on.

Originally Posted by: Pete Perkins 

This is why I don't like fingers JUST being pointed at ARod. This almost sounds like an offensive coordinator issue - how does this team have no idea how to adjust on the fly, who to block, how to run their routes?

I get why he has the 'yips' with 12 sacks in two games. In the first play, everyone has their backs to ARod. Makes it tough on him.

I'm not excusing Aaron, though. Throwing inside to James Jones vs. the Vikings on his endzone int is one of many examples of him being off this year. However, clearly the offensive woes can't be narrowed down to just one culprit.
    PackFanWithTwins
    8 years ago

The first play on the sack baffles me. How could the RB not see the Safety on the line and ignore the possible blitz coming? I mean I could see if it was a delayed blitz but the safety came straight off the snap and unaccounted for. The receivers all seemed totally oblivious or make any adjustments not that Arod had time to get the ball out. At the end of the play it looked like Cobb was guarding the DE in front of him vs. the other way around. Keystone cop material.

You would think maybe that Arod would step over to his RB pre-snap and say "hey, watch that safety". I mean he communicates with the guys in front of him all the time to be sure they know what he see's out there....
    or...he recognizes the blitz coming and changes the play to send the RB out around it if in fact the safety comes. He would of only been open by 10 yards. The whole left side was left wide open once he committed.

Originally Posted by: Pete Perkins 

It is hard to say without knowing what the blocking assignments were for the play and what adjustments were called.

I'm just throwing out a possibility. There was a DT lined up to the right shoulder of Linsley. If Linsley was responsible to protect that right side that would have made the LBer coming through the A-Gap Starks primary responsibility. Better the leave the edge rusher than a free body up the middle.

What bothers me more is. Where is the hot route. It doesn't look like Rodgers was expecting anything different from the receivers. IMO he should have checked somebody to a Hot. IF he has as much room at the LOS as everybody gives him credit for, than there is no way 4 receivers all should have been running vertical routes for 10 yards. Starks might have missed that blitz but the ball should have been thrown before the edge blitz got home also.
    The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
    PackFanWithTwins
    8 years ago

I get why he has the 'yips' with 12 sacks in two games. In the first play, everyone has their backs to ARod. Makes it tough on him.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

This is what gets me, I blame Mike for all the passing plays he runs that are just like this. Run 8-10 yards and cut. Nobody on quick slants or short drags. But on this play I have to give a heavy dose of blame to Rodgers also. He should have recognized the blitz and checked at least one of those WR onto a hot route.
    The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
    nerdmann
    8 years ago

The biggest issue is that the receivers aren't fast and there is little creativity to help them get open

Bullshit. He's just holding it longer, not throwing "contested" balls like he used to. There were more open guys who didn't get the ball this past week then any game so far.

JJ was WIDE OPEN down the sideline on the third to last play this week. Was RR "open" on the second to last play? Aaron pissed away the division title out of spite.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    musccy
    8 years ago
    I was at the game Sunday, and trust me, there were not a lot of guys open. Also, just because 1 of 5 is open doesn't mean he's looking at that guy in his progression.

I'm not saying he's not contributing to the problems, but having viable targets right now is a legitimate concern. Whether that's due to not establishing a hot read, communication, route trees, talent, or a combination is all debatable, but it's a problem.
    8 years ago

Bullshit. He's just holding it longer, not throwing "contested" balls like he used to. There were more open guys who didn't get the ball this past week then any game so far.

JJ was WIDE OPEN down the sideline on the third to last play this week. Was RR "open" on the second to last play? Aaron pissed away the division title out of spite.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

You don't throw only 5 interceptions in a season by throwing contested balls.
    UserPostedImage
    luigis
    8 years ago
    I need you guys to help me solve my position about Rodgers.

I don't buy the "receivers don't get open" or any physical explanation because he played brilliant the first 5 games of the season and we know he is probably at the same level as Brady and believe it or not our WRs are better than the ones that Brady has.

I also don't buy that he is tanking to get rid of MM, it sounds ridiculous and he is not doing it too well suddenly he starts playing like crap? suddenly he can't throw a quick slant against 4 DBs deep? suddenly he throws the ball to a TE with time running out when he is nowhere near the sideline? He is playing too bad to be tanking. I'd think he is smart enough to be a better actor.

So what is it?

Luis
    Barfarn
    8 years ago

It is hard to say without knowing what the blocking assignments were for the play and what adjustments were called.

I'm just throwing out a possibility. There was a DT lined up to the right shoulder of Linsley. If Linsley was responsible to protect that right side that would have made the LBer coming through the A-Gap Starks primary responsibility. Better the leave the edge rusher than a free body up the middle.

What bothers me more is. Where is the hot route. It doesn't look like Rodgers was expecting anything different from the receivers. IMO he should have checked somebody to a Hot. IF he has as much room at the LOS as everybody gives him credit for, than there is no way 4 receivers all should have been running vertical routes for 10 yards. Starks might have missed that blitz but the ball should have been thrown before the edge blitz got home also.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Bingo!

And he may have checked hot [but agree he didn't act like it] and the WR goofed or the RB was hot who got grabbed and swallowed up. So, you get rid of the effing ball!!!!

And this is One play; if Aaron Rodgers didn't check hot, It may have been an unscouted look, maybe several times in the past game or 2 Harrison was brought up in the slot and DIDN'T blitz. If so, it's one for Zimmer, we're not playing high school kids and coaches out there; but this was not the norm of what occurred in Minn; this was an aberration.
    Fan Shout
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.