Porforis
8 years ago

His lack of speed and athleticism has nothing to do with anything, now it's his football acumen that makes him a future All Pro. 😂 What I know is that we had a huge hole at TE going into last offseason, it was not corrected, and we have a huge hole at TE going into this offseason. Get on it Ted.

I'll let all the football geniuses dissect RR's greatness. I'll start agreeing with them when he can catch a slant over the middle taking it 50 yards to the house. So that'll be never. 😂

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Again, yes we should strive to improve the TE position.

What specifically should the Packers have done about the position in the offseason and what metrics are you basing the claim of improvement over? What would we give up for said player? Is it enough to notably impact other positions? Would it be enough to make a big difference considering ARod's struggles?
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

There were five TEs picked before Rodgers. One of them was on his way to a better season in Austin Seferian-Jenkins before getting injured. Jace Amaro was clearly the better player with more upside last year, before going down in the pre-season. I also don't see how Rodgers is CLEARLY more productive than Ebron.

I also never said it was about his 40. It's about looking average at best at every single drill, combined with an average college career, which resulted in him being projected as an average player. That very much seems like a spot on prediction to me right now.

But fair enough. Let's ignore all that for now. On all the coaches film I've seen, he just looks sluggish at times. A lot of his receptions come not from beating his man, but from Aaron running around and creating something. He struggles to get seperation from guys like Josh Bynes and has this problem consistently.... I have to go to work now, but I could go on and on. Going on smarts and sinsight alone doesn't get you to the top in the NFL. If so, I imagine you'd be in the league right now, Barfarn.

He's not bad. I'm not saying he is. He's just an average TE. A Donald Lee. A type of player we're used to, but who just isn't that great.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Rock, I hear you and I’ll concede that if these other TEs learn to run routes as well as Rodgers; they’ll could eventually become more productive TEs than Rodgers. But, I’ll take a “less athletic” Boldins over the superior athletic Janises EVERY time. 1 in 100 times the Janis-type becomes better.

And again Bynes couldn't cover Rodgers that's why Quaddues was put on him! Wagner couldn't cover Rodgers in NFC champ game last year. Now if his route is a hook, no one gets separation; Gronk could not separate from you or I, if he ran a 5 yard hook. And of the catches and open routes described herein only one was on a scramble.

Production comparison:
Ebron the #10 pick. Yards and targets are close; but Detroit’s system is not nearly as hard to learn as GBs. Also, Rodgers is a far superior blocker; Rodgers is more versatile [playing FB and TE]; he’s better in the red zone [wider catch radius and uses his body better to fight for position] and Ebron is a drop machine with 9.

Niklas, 2nd rounder. 4 catches for 8.8 yards per in 2015. Guy might be a little better blocker; but he is twice as fragile as Abberdaris at a position where fragility equals bust. He doesn’t get route running yet.

Amero, 2nd rounder. We could see him develop in yr 2; but at best, Amero will be a poor man’s Jimmy Graham, who left New Orleans and didn’t hurt the offense at all because as a TE Jimmy is just a guy and as a receiver he’s just guy; he’s just a guy. He can get traded or hurt and get replaced by other “just a guys” in Watson, Hill and Luke Willson. That is what “just a guy” is. Amero is also a shit-stain of a human being and a worse teammate. He had a worse drop rate than Ebron and he’s too special to block and is not very durable. Here’s what his coach thinks of him: “Jets OC Chan Gailey oversaw Scott Chandler's big-TD years in Buffalo, and coached Tony Gonzalez in Kansas City before that. Per ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini, Gang Green is "not going to kiss it off or sit around and wait for Jace Amaro to develop." The organization seems to have grown frustrated with its slow-developing tight end. Amaro also wasn't drafted by the current GM.” Feb 21 - 6:57 PM Source: ESPN New York

ASJ, 2nd rounder. Tampa is thinking of firing its TE coach because he keeps getting arrested for graffiti; just before each snap he has to run out onto the field and spray paint ASJ’s route path on the grass so ASJ knows where to go. Ian Beckles said ASJ was soft as tissue, Anthony Becht said it needs to be stressed to ASJ that blocking is important. “Hercules” is a wuss. And he’s glass: He missed 9 weeks in 2016 because of a “mysterious shoulder injury” after having foot, ankle and back problems as a rookie. in 2015, ASJ caught 21 passes and dropped 4; he drops 1 for every 4 he catches.

Fiedorowicz is the only one of these dumplings worthy to carry Rodgers’ jock strap; but he’s not the route runner Rodgers is yet!
sschind
8 years ago

His lack of speed and athleticism has nothing to do with anything, now it's his football acumen that makes him a future All Pro. 😂 What I know is that we had a huge hole at TE going into last offseason, it was not corrected, and we have a huge hole at TE going into this offseason. Get on it Ted.

I'll let all the football geniuses dissect RR's greatness. I'll start agreeing with them when he can catch a slant over the middle taking it 50 yards to the house. So that'll be never. 😂

What you THINK is that we had a huge hole at TE going into last off season and you THINK we have a huge hole at TE going into this off season. Facts are things you can know, they are true or false or have a right and wrong answer. You are not stating facts you are stating opinions. But then that's always been your MO. We have opinions and you know facts.

We all know you want the home run hitter and that's fine. That is what you think the Packers need. I'll be happy if we find that guy as well but I don't think it's as big of a need as you make it out to be. I don't know that anyone is saying he is great but since when does a TE need to catch a slant over the middle and take it 50 yards to the house to be great.

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I'll start agreeing with them when he can catch a slant over the middle taking it 50 yards to the house. So that'll be never. 😂

How many Tight Ends are able to fit what you demand? I'm not even sure half the Wide Receivers in the NFL could do that, lol.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
8 years ago

What you THINK is that we had a huge hole at TE going into last off season and you THINK we have a huge hole at TE going into this off season. Facts are things you can know, they are true or false or have a right and wrong answer. You are not stating facts you are stating opinions. But then that's always been your MO. We have opinions and you know facts.

We all know you want the home run hitter and that's fine. That is what you think the Packers need. I'll be happy if we find that guy as well but I don't think it's as big of a need as you make it out to be. I don't know that anyone is saying he is great but since when does a TE need to catch a slant over the middle and take it 50 yards to the house to be great.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

It sickens me, the mediocrity you all accept for the players on our roster, when we go into every season with millions to use on the cap. TE isn't the only weak position on this team, but it is one of the weakest. This offense was exposed in 2015 because it didn't have the playmakers necessary to make it move fluently.

But hey, we'll just all sit back and not get into Teds business, cause he's somehow above being critiqued.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
8 years ago

How many Tight Ends are able to fit what you demand? I'm not even sure half the Wide Receivers in the NFL could do that, lol.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't know, but can we at least try finding one?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

It sickens me, the mediocrity you all accept for the players on our roster, when we go into every season with millions to use on the cap. TE isn't the only weak position on this team, but it is one of the weakest. This offense was exposed in 2015 because it didn't have the playmakers necessary to make it move fluently.

But hey, we'll just all sit back and not get into Teds business, cause he's somehow above being critiqued.

Accepting you cannot have 22 All Pro future Hall of Famer's is not accepting mediocrity on the roster. It's more likely that folks understand the NFL has a Salary Cap, roster limitation, and the pool of talent in the NFL is spread thin among 32 NFL teams.

I don't know, but can we at least try finding one?

I sure as heck hope we try to find one! I really think a middle field stretching TE would do the offense magic.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
8 years ago

Accepting you cannot have 22 All Pro future Hall of Famer's is not accepting mediocrity on the roster. It's more likely that folks understand the NFL has a Salary Cap, roster limitation, and the pool of talent in the NFL is spread thin among 32 NFL teams.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yeah, yeah - and having mediocrity at one of the skill positions on a prolific offense is fucking stupid and epic failure from our GM. And some of you guys defend that stupid shit.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Yeah, yeah - and having mediocrity at one of the skill positions on a prolific offense is fucking stupid and epic failure from our GM. And some of you guys defend that stupid shit.

Nothing at all wrong reaching for the stars, but calling someone a failure and stupid shit because they only got the moon is unreasonable.

Every fan wants win, rings, dominance and at least progress. Packers swung and missed. They owned it and made changes. NFL isn't easy business.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

When Dakota speaks on Rodgers like this, here is what I see:
Ted Thompson sitting in a comfy chair in the grotto wearing his safari hat and sunglasses, a smoking jacket over his silk pajamas, puffing on a pipe, drinking a Dos Equis and two slightly plumb pasty white Wisconsin chicks clad in cheese foam bras and panties sitting on each arm of his chair each with one arm on his shoulder.

He snaps his fingers and says, “Chives, go get me Gronkowski!”

He then turns to Dakota and says, "I don’t find TEs very often, but when I do I find me some Gronkowskis."
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (12h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (17h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (17h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (17h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.