wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

Danny Trevathan: Packers never called but 'I wish they would have'

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

It would have been nice if Uncle Teddy would have considered Trevathan for at least 5 minutes. He is an above average player. His contract is not obscene. GB has the need.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
8 years ago
bears got a starting ILB for multiple years for peanuts (avg) more than our backup, no scheme-fit, oft-injured OLB.

Who will probably (hopefully) be gone next year.

Ugh.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
yooperfan
8 years ago
Thompson was too busy looking for that "diamond in the rough" at Wisconsins pro day.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
If not signing him means the Packers get that kid from Alabama everyone's excited about, maybe it'll be worth the miss.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

bears got a starting ILB for multiple years for peanuts (avg) more than our backup, no scheme-fit, oft-injured OLB.

Who will probably (hopefully) be gone next year.

Ugh.

Originally Posted by: Laser Gunns 

I really don't understand why people keep comparing a one year band-aid contract to a multi-year contract. That's an apples and oranges comparison. The Packers have a LOT of players to resign next season when Perry's one year contract will long be an issue. Trevathan's would be. Different implications.

I'm not saying the Packers made the right decision by not signing Trevathan, but using Perry's one year deal as any justification is just silly. If one wants to complain about anything, complain about Julius Pepper's salary. Cut him and there should be enough flexibility to add a player like Trevathan. But it would still likely result in some issues in 2017.

Either way, I think Trevathan isn't as good as he appears when not on a loaded Denver defense, but he is clearly better than what the Packers have otherwise. That's fair enough.
Rockmolder
8 years ago

I really don't understand why people keep comparing a one year band-aid contract to a multi-year contract. That's an apples and oranges comparison. The Packers have a LOT of players to resign next season when Perry's one year contract will long be an issue. Trevathan's would be. Different implications.

I'm not saying the Packers made the right decision by not signing Trevathan, but using Perry's one year deal as any justification is just silly. If one wants to complain about anything, complain about Julius Pepper's salary. Cut him and there should be enough flexibility to add a player like Trevathan. But it would still likely result in some issues in 2017.

Either way, I think Trevathan isn't as good as he appears when not on a loaded Denver defense, but he is clearly better than what the Packers have otherwise. That's fair enough.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I agree to a certain extent. The thing is, Perry most likely won't bring anything to the table this year, either. He's just not that good (in a 3-4). We could've invested that in someone like McClain, who would've been a better band-aid at a position we needed it more.

And then Trevathan himself is a young guy who, currently, looks like a bargain.

Who do we resign who has the same potential impact as Tevathan potentially has? I mean, we signed a guy like Bulaga to a 5 year, $34 million contract. That makes him the 2nd highest paid RT on average. Contracts like that are hurting us a lot more than giving a FA ILB a 4 year, $24,5 contract. Especially since he signed a deal which allows the Bears to pretty safely cut him after the first two years.

Add to that that Peppers' $10 million cap hit will be gone next year (which I agree with you, is way too much for this year), the cap will rise by about $10 million, Sitton and Lang will have a lower cap hit with the way our FO likes to backload contracts, Lacy won't be as expensive as first thought if he keeps his work ethic up.... If we WANTED him, we could've gotten him easily.

steveishere
8 years ago
I'm fine with Perry's contract. It's Peppers that needs to get a restructure/pay cut or be cut. If you want to blame 1 players contract for us not signing FAs it's his not Perry's.
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
I think they decided on resigning one of theirs over this guy in this particular case. That being said, I don't know if you should be this honest fresh of a signing. It wouldn't make me happy as a current player or fan of the Bears.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago

Either way, I think Trevathan isn't as good as he appears when not on a loaded Denver defense, but he is clearly better than what the Packers have otherwise.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Sounds like Ted Thompson agrees with you on the first, but not on the second.

(if what Trevathan said is believed, anyway)

At least I hope he disagrees with you on the second: I'm not bothered if Ted disagrees with me on which free agents are better than the current roster; I am bothered if he agrees and still doesn't call the better guy, though.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

I think they decided on resigning one of theirs over this guy in this particular case. That being said, I don't know if you should be this honest fresh of a signing. It wouldn't make me happy as a current player or fan of the Bears.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

I am sure that at least 50% of the reason Trevathan wanted GB to contact him-his agent was it would create a bidding war. Instead of $24.5 he would have ended up with something close to $30 mil. Maybe 5 years instead of 4.
That too would have made sense if Uncle Teddy would have pushed the Bears a little.
Worst case scenario is that they wind up with a young quality player at a position of need.
Certainly the GB defense is not at the same level as Denver but stick Trevathan next to CM3 and Co with solid dbs and he would still shine.
2017 may be an issue next year but why lay down this year? I wish they actually try to put the best team they can on the field in 2016. Bring home the Lombardi this season and worry about next year later.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (2h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (18h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (18h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (22h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.