Zero2Cool
8 years ago
The 2015 Packers with a depleted and dinged WR group of James Jones (hamstring), Jared Abberderris (rib) and Jeff Janis pushed a team everyone was calling the most complete team at the time into overtime.

The 2014 Packers lost the NFC Championship after a series of small miracles and a lack of mental fortitude by the coaching staff.

The 2013 Packers lost by just 3 points to the San Francisco 49ers.

While I understand simply being one of six teams in the conference to enter the playoffs is not enough for us, nor should it be. I question why some cannot appreciate that the last few years the Packers had a team that could have went to the Super Bowl. Did we not learn anything during the 2010 season about a team needs to have some bounces go their way? Do we not understand that winning the Super Bowl is so exciting, exhilarating and awesome because it is so damn difficult to do?

Fact of the matter is the Packers are operating in a way that has them available to challenge for the Super Bowl each year. The problem is not personnel as much as it is the coaching staff having absolutely zero killer instinct to just throttle the hell out of teams.

I think Mike McCarthy is a good coach, but if the Packers do not win the Super Bowl with a healthy Aaron Rodgers at the helm, I think it's time for him to move on.

I believe it's Ted Thompson's responsibility to get the best players available and it is Mike McCarthy's responsibility to coach them into overachieving their skill level and use them to their strengths. Which reminds me of this quote from Wade Phillips, which I 100% believe to be true and why I think the Patriots do better than most.

I don't understand the people that say, 'Hey, this is our scheme and that guy can't play in it,' a guy that can play, and is a good player, but, 'He can't play in our scheme.' To me, there's something wrong with your scheme. You adapt the scheme to what the players can do, not what you can think of.

Wade Phillips wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago
I believe the fans appreciate the team. I think it is acceptable to want and expect more. 1 SB trophy is not enough. If you have 5 why would you say that is enough if you can get 6 or 7? After all if it is enough then why follow them any longer? Turn in your card and live in the bygone days.

Coaching is partially to blame but many fans also think there are other factors as well. Higher management should bear some of the burden for failures.

2013 SF playoff game was not as close as the score indicates. SF acted like they could score anytime they wanted to. In their final drive they started at their own 20 and had 14 plays in about 5 minutes. They were at the GB 38 by the 2 minute warning and simply took their time.

Yes 2014 was an epic by the coaching staff.

2015 was an injury plagued year.

All of this leads to the Uncle Teddy question yet again- what would have happened if Teddy swallowed his pride and bring in one more stud player? Would that have been enough to overcome the shortcoming of the HC or the injuries to players or any of the other issues that have befallen the team in the past? Maybe so maybe not. The problem really is Teddy puts out a team that is just good to get everyone hopes up and then hopes luck will strike like 2010.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I believe the fans appreciate the team. I think it is acceptable to want and expect more. 1 SB trophy is not enough. If you have 5 why would you say that is enough if you can get 6 or 7? After all if it is enough then why follow them any longer? Turn in your card and live in the bygone days.

Coaching is partially to blame but many fans also think there are other factors as well. Higher management should bear some of the burden for failures.

2013 SF playoff game was not as close as the score indicates. SF acted like they could score anytime they wanted to. In their final drive they started at their own 20 and had 14 plays in about 5 minutes. They were at the GB 38 by the 2 minute warning and simply took their time.

Yes 2014 was an epic by the coaching staff.

2015 was an injury plagued year.

All of this leads to the Ted question yet again- what would have happened if Teddy swallowed his pride and bring in one more stud player? Would that have been enough to overcome the shortcoming of the HC or the injuries to players or any of the other issues that have befallen the team in the past? Maybe so maybe not. The problem really is Teddy puts out a team that is just good to get everyone hopes up and then hopes luck will strike like 2010.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The epic fails by the coaching staff and the "injury plagued years" just continue to repeat. That's what bothers me.

Teddy can go all in at any time, but what he wants to avoid is the reckoning. If he went all in in '13, we'd be paying for it now.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
8 years ago
I can't wait for ten years to pass so we can sit around and discuss the glory years when we were so thin at wide receiver and tight end that our elite quarterback didn't have guys to throw to all season. But our ultraconservative general manger chose to instead of buying a receiver or two or making a trade, he sat on cap space so that he could sign a defensive end before he hit free agency. Smooth Ted, real smooth.

Remember that time in 1996 when Ron Wolf didn't go get Andre Rison to complete a depleted WR corp.

Watching Ted's version of the Green Bay Packers is like getting ready to devour a porterhouse only the waiter didn't let you have a steak knife and didn't bring you any butter or sour cream for your baked potato.

Load this fucking team up Ted, you jackass!

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
8 years ago
To win the super bowl, everything has to fall into place. Injuries, the ball bouncing your way, other teams messing up and so on.

A bad bounce in several games in 2010, and we wouldn't have even made the playoffs.
A few years ago New England was 18-0 going into the super bowl, and lost the big game.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
8 years ago

The epic fails by the coaching staff and the "injury plagued years" just continue to repeat. That's what bothers me.

Teddy can go all in at any time, but what he wants to avoid is the reckoning. If he went all in in '13, we'd be paying for it now.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ridiculous thinking. If he HAD gone all in back in 13 the likelihood of a SB championship would be much greater. Instead there was no SB trophy in 13, 14 or 15. There most likely will not be one in 16 or 17 either unless the ball bounces the right way at the right time. Yeah and the Bears or vikies may stumble upon one too. Let's depend on luck instead of loading up with talent. It has worked so well over the past 5 years.

You can have a talented team and not have cap space issues. It is possible. You have to be willing to let go the mediocre players on the roster and not keep resigning them.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago

I can't wait for ten years to pass so we can sit around and discuss the glory years when we were so thin at wide receiver and tight end that our elite quarterback didn't have guys to throw to all season. But our ultraconservative general manger chose to instead of buying a receiver or two or making a trade, he sat on cap space so that he could sign a defensive end before he hit free agency. Smooth Ted, real smooth.

Remember that time in 1996 when Ron Wolf didn't go get Andre Rison to complete a depleted WR corp.

Watching Ted's version of the Green Bay Packers is like getting ready to devour a porterhouse only the waiter didn't let you have a steak knife and didn't bring you any butter or sour cream for your baked potato.

Load this fucking team up Ted, you jackass!

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

We got a hell of a lot more out of James Jones this year than we got out of Rison in 96. I swear people make such a big deal out of that signing like he came in and went Randy Moss '07 on the league when he barely even went Janis '15.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
I think so much of the answer to this question is based on what is reasonably expected out of the team in a given season. Good example would be the Badgers basketball team, last year the expectations for that team was to make it deep into the tournament, this year those expectations were not the same. early this year it looked like they would be lucky to make the tourney so if they don't make the final 4 it is not a disappointment where it would have been last year.

Fans do not like when they see their team underachieve.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
However, Rison did help us win the SB. He also had over 1000 yards receiving the year after GB. I'm sure he could have done that with GB and maybe we win SB #2 with Favre and Reggie.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
yooperfan
8 years ago
Come this October it will be 60 years since I attended my first Packers game.
I have made my wife into a Packers fan, I have raised three children to be avid Packers fans.
We as a family have appreciated the Packers for decades.
I have seen the Packers win four Super Bowls, I would like to see them win a fifth before I go ten toes up.
Damned right I appreciate the Green Bay Packers.
What I don't appreciate is Ted Thompson's unwillingness to step out of his cocoon to more energetically pursue another Lombardi while Rodgers is in his prime.
The clock is ticking!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (12h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (14h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (14h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.