MintBaconDrivel
7 years ago
Good analysis. Good read.

There is one legitimate criticism of Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers came under fire this week from Fox Sports' Colin Cowherd. Cowherd wants us to criticize Rodgers more because Pro Football Focus said that the Packers have the second-best roster in the NFL. Cowherd saw this ranking, accepted it as gospel, then went into a diatribe where he criticized Rodgers for not winning more than seven playoff games over the course of his career. The foundation of Cowherd's argument is that Rodgers has had everything he has needed to win multiple Super Bowls. His only specific criticisms of Rodgers the individual are “he holds the ball too long,” “he's not the greatest leader,” and “he can be moody and cocky.” Save for holding the ball too long, none of those criticisms can be explored in on-field analysis.

When a great quarterback is consistently great but doesn't win multiple Super Bowls, we go in search of fabricated reasons why. It can never simply be that football is a team game and the quarterback has limited control over the outcome of results; it must always be an inherent flaw in that individual's make-up if his team underachieves. Leadership, personality, and ability in the clutch are the pillows into which these analysts fall back. This was emphatically highlighted with how analysts (including Cowherd specifically) spoke about Cam Newton last year. Newton's Panthers were winning, so he suddenly became a good leader and his confidence was no longer an issue. It couldn't have been that Newton was always a leader or that his confidence was never an issue, or that the team around him (along with his own play) improved to the point that they became one of the best teams in the league. That's too outlandish a scenario.

UserPostedImage

--- clipped out ---

Criticizing Aaron Rodgers more doesn't make any sense. Sometimes a player truly is great and he just happens to be on a team that isn't as good as others with which it competes. Any added criticism for the franchise in Green Bay should be pointed at the general manager. Ted Thompson is the one who built this roster, and despite Pro Football Focus' declaration that it is the second most talented roster in the league, it's a team that is far too reliant on its freakishly talented quarterback to carry them. This offseason, Thompson's big addition to his collection of skill position players that have shown off limitations and inconsistency over the past two seasons was Jared Cook, a founding member of the limitations and inconsistency club.
Continue reading @ FootballOutsiders 

Cian Fahey wrote:

Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
Bullshit.

The reason this team hasn't won more SBs is Mike's fear-based game management. You don't go into a shell midway the the third quarter and expect to consistently win.

Under Holmgren, they'd get a big lead then use the running game to drain the clock in the third and fourth quarters. But running a highly efficient WCO-based screen and trap game is not the same thing as running dive plays to Kuhn, then having to punt.

This team has demonstrated that it had enough roster to win it all certainly in '14, arguably last year too. Our 6 and 7th WRs were getting it done in the playoffs against a top defensive unit. How many teams could do that?

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
7 years ago
And BTW, if you're average passing attempt is 6 yards downfield, you better be hitting 80%.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
7 years ago

This team has demonstrated that it had enough roster to win it all certainly in '14, arguably last year too. Our 6 and 7th WRs were getting it done in the playoffs against a top defensive unit. How many teams could do that?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

How many teams could do that with Aaron Rodgers? Several, I'm sure, as that's the biggest factor in this case.

buckeyepackfan
7 years ago

Bullshit.

The reason this team hasn't won more SBs is Mike's fear-based game management. You don't go into a shell midway the the third quarter and expect to consistently win.

Under Holmgren, they'd get a big lead then use the running game to drain the clock in the third and fourth quarters. But running a highly efficient WCO-based screen and trap game is not the same thing as running dive plays to Kuhn, then having to punt.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Umm how many Super Bowls did Holmgren win?

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
7 years ago

Umm how many Super Bowls did Holmgren win?

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

He lost one by trying to hot dog the play calling, instead of going max protect. At least according to various assistants.

Mike loses out due to timidity.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (14h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (14h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (15h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (15h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (15h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.