wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

Packers' Shields suffered concussion in opener

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

Packer News: 

Under the NFL’s concussion guidelines, Shields must now pass a series of tests before being allowed to practice again, and once he makes it through a practice must receive the go-ahead from a neurologist not associated with the team in order to play in a game. The media is prohibited from speaking to Shields at the team’s facility while he is in the concussion protocol.
Shields suffered a concussion against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field on Dec. 13 and missed four games, returning for the team’s divisional playoff game at Arizona on Jan. 16. He said later that he blacked out as a result of hitting his head on the turf and suffered headaches for weeks afterward.

I am guessing he is out 2 weeks.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
7 years ago
Nice knowing you Sam.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
yooperfan
7 years ago
I fear that his career is over.
Even if he is cleared to play again, he may just decide to walk away.
musccy
7 years ago

I fear that his career is over.
Even if he is cleared to play again, he may just decide to walk away.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

He gets 12.5 guaranteed from his contract and made about 4 from the last few years. Obviously I want him back, but I too would think about calling it a career if in his shoes.

Zero2Cool
7 years ago
I won't bore you with a lot of NASCAR Dale Earnhardt Jr details here, however, Dale Jr is probably done going left turn, left turn for a living because of concussions. Dale Jr didn't crash, but reported he was having some issues and turns out they were concussion like symptoms from an accident earlier in the season. Dale Jr wrecked mid June and later had 11th and 13th place finishes before realizing there was a problem. Or maybe before accepting there was a problem.

Point being here, concussions are no joke (as if you didn't know) and even though I'm a huge Dale Jr fan, I want him to retire. I'm starting to feel the same about Sam Shields.

The only way I would advocate Sam or Dale resuming their careers is if a doctor says they are at no more risk than someone without concussion issues.

A little rarely spoken fact about concussions. Once you get one, the second one is easier and its down hill from there. Eventually it'll take a hard sneeze to give you a concussion.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
7 years ago
The one past sideline slip concussion was a fluke; but proper technique will reduce Shield's risk of concussion close to zero. The guy is a CB for cripes sake.

Every year we hear, "back to basics...Fundamental football."

Well, how about if someone teaches Shields how to tackle; he leads with his head all the time when he is crashing from the side. I suspect his Jax "concussion" was his second in that game. And one day; he'll hurt his neck.

On the Yeldon TD, Shields was running parallel to LOS and stuck his head out in the path of Yeldon's thigh as he laid out, the thigh struck Shields' head knocking it toward endzone like he was hitting a croquet ball with a mallet. Shields helicoptered 90 degrees from the blow to his head. Shields looked up to see the TD, then he put his head on ground facemask first for a couple of seconds. Could have been disappointment the TD occurred; but I bet he got his bell rung there too.

When Shields is crashing from the side to fill the B or C gap; he MUST keep his head up. If he doesn't, bench him for a series to drive the concept home. We must have Shields, Randall, Daniels and CM3 for the Playoffs.
blueleopard
7 years ago
Seems like we have a good young CB/WR get taken away every other year due to a concussion or neck injury.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Fan Shout
dfosterf (4h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (4h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (4h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (23h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.