uffda udfa
7 years ago
I finally got around to watching MM's presser. I got 3:27 seconds in and I had to hit pause and come here while it's still fresh.

Our HC was asked a ten second question about how he viewed the season in light of some saying it wasn't successful because they didn't reach the SB.

It took Mike McCarthy 3 minutes and 17 seconds to answer a very simple pertinent question. The amount of double talk was dizzying. He was so proud of his answer he remarked, "I should've made that my opening statement."

This guy went on about it not being black and white. Wrong. In your business that is all it is. You win or you don't. He went on to say it's the "ultimate goal" and they "want" to be playing like Atlanta and New England. Yes, so do Cleveland and Chicago. To go down the road of "we've never wavered" from the goal of winning the SB and double talk it and excuse it with his "levels of success" spiel and then sum it all up by saying it was a "very successful season...I don't know why anyone would even question that." is closing in on Baghdad Bob territory.

Basically, I got from him that...they try...they want...etc. Not...we demand, nothing else matters, we have to do better, not a single word on his responsibility. Didn't seem to bother him whatsoever that he was having a season ending presser after losing 44-21. A guy who burns to win would really struggle with it and not give a 3 minute and 17 second answer why it was "very successful" while admitting falling short of their goal. A winner would say it wasn't a successful season, by definition, of them not reaching their goal. Don't have a goal if it's okay not to reach it.

I invite all Packers fan to watch that first Q and A and give me your impression of what he had to say. I expect most will answer based on their preconceived notions on how they feel about MM, but really watch it and listen. Tell me if you feel like this is the right guy to bring us another Lil' Vinny?

If you feel Mike McCarthy is the right guy... tell us why?

If you don't... tell us why?

No reason for anyone to get on anyone for their honest viewpoint. This is something everyone can lend their own unique perspective to. I, for one, would love to hear how people interpret his answer.

EDIT: Keep in mind the Packers were favored to be in the SB and win every regular season game before the season started.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mojaveson
7 years ago
That game is like the Mafia. Every time I think I'm out...they pull me back in!
Winners never quit and quitters never win. - Vince Lombardi
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

EDIT: Keep in mind the Packers were favored to be in the SB and win every regular season game before the season started.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That same team lead by Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers? And the same team that was slaughtered with injuries to their secondary? That same team?

Yes, we know the Packers were favored (ONLY after Bridgewater went down) to win each regular season game. My God, you omit so many facts it's annoying. You pluck such small fragments and build vast monumental decisions off it. I have to stop wasting my time.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

That same team lead by Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and Dom Capers? And the same team that was slaughtered with injuries to their secondary? That same team?

Yes, we know the Packers were favored (ONLY after Bridgewater went down) to win each regular season game. My God, you omit so many facts it's annoying. You pluck such small fragments and build vast monumental decisions off it. I have to stop wasting my time.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are we going to get any actual answers? I get accused of threadjacking ...this answer is no answer and another shot at me. What's annoying is I ask very relevant questions that never seem to find any answers from the faithful.

BTW, Teddy B plays for the Vikings. How many times do the Packers and Vikings play a season? Perhaps, the Packers wouldn't have been favored in Minnesota, but they would've been in Lambeau. So, you're trying to avoid answering the post and nullify it because the Packers may not been favored Week 2 at Minny making them 15-1 favorites vs. 16-0? Avoid, insult, scatter.

This is a GREAT question. Watch his answer. It's full of insight into the man's mindset.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
7 years ago

Are we going to get any actual answers? I get accused of threadjacking ...this answer is no answer and another shot at me. What's annoying is I ask very relevant questions that never seem to find any answers from the faithful.

BTW, Teddy B plays for the Vikings. How many times do the Packers and Vikings play a season? Perhaps, the Packers wouldn't have been favored in Minnesota, but they would've been in Lambeau. So, you're trying to avoid answering the post and nullify it because the Packers may not been favored Week 2 at Minny making them 15-1 favorites vs. 16-0? Avoid, insult, scatter.

This is a GREAT question. Watch his answer. It's full of insight into the man's mindset.

I commented on what I quoted, which is all I have read. You twist things around so grossly it's pointless to try. I have done this with you so many times. I am done. You are not open minded. You are not willing to see anything past the fingertips that press against your keys. You know everything already. I. Am. Done.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

I commented on what I quoted, which is all I have read. You twist things around so grossly it's pointless to try. I have done this with you so many times. I am done. You are not open minded. You are not willing to see anything past the fingertips that press against your keys. You know everything already. I. Am. Done.

So, you won't watch it and won't answer? I ask for people's opinions. Genuinely interested. I'm trying to understand how someone views his answer vs. my perception.

Again, you get upset because I ask things you don't want to directly deal with. Avoid, insult, scatter.

What am I not seeing but someone who doesn't want to answer the question in the post. It's one question. Very simple to watch the answer and give your input but you don't want to play that.

UserPostedImage

buckeyepackfan
7 years ago

Hold on a minute zero.
Using Uffda's argument that the Packers were favored every game in 2016, therfore should have at least went to the Super Bowl.
I just did a little checking and the only team with better odds to win The Super Bowl next year is New England.
Wait they are in the AFC.
Which means Vegas has The Packers favored to go from The NFC.
Last I checked Mike McCarthy is still The HC.
So using Uffda's twisted logic, he has to jump on board and get behind Mike and crew.
Nobody I would rather have as HC.

WELCOME ABOARD UFFDA!
Glad you finally came around!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
7 years ago

So, you won't watch it and won't answer? I ask for people's opinions. Genuinely interested. I'm trying to understand how someone views his answer vs. my perception.

Again, you get upset because I ask things you don't want to directly deal with. Avoid, insult, scatter.

What am I not seeing but someone who doesn't want to answer the question in the post. It's one question. Very simple to watch the answer and give your input but you don't want to play that.

I know this may come as a surprise to you, but I don't have an infinite amount of time to go through your repeated (only because it is repeated) rubbish over and over and over again. I have stated my opinion on Mike McCarthy numerous times over the last several years. Unlike some folks, I don't feel the need to spam my overbearing thoughts over and over and over again on a daily basis. Sorry. That's just the facts.

Do I think we should maintain status quo? No. Do I know the exact changes? No.

Sorry, I can't do much better for you than that. I'm a just a single parent Software Developer who finds Madden entertaining and not some NFL front office executive or anything of the sort. If that's not good enough for you, that's on you.

Also, understand some facts about discussion boards, especially this one. Between February and July, it's pretty damn slow, so when you don't get a plethora of responses, it's not because you have one-up'd the fan base. It's because the fan base isn't poking around much. Shit, I'm an idiot. Why bother explaining that to you when you know everything already.

I hope people response to your inquiry so your ego doesn't suffer any further.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
We're favored because we have the best QB to ever play. It ain't our defense. Still favored despite our brutal D?

Would never think I one upped anyone. Just happy in knowing the narrative some are clung so tightly to had it's grip loosened due to 6 years of the same thing.
UserPostedImage

Mr_Bumpy
7 years ago
Uffda, why do you even watch the Packers if they cause you so much misery? Perhaps turn the football off and find something to do with your time that actually brings you joy?

Everything I have seen suggests to me that Mike McCarthy is one of the best football coaches in the NFL. If you want some real perspective, go visit other teams' message boards and you'll see the same p*ssing and moaning and "fire everybody" talk that you find here. You should have seen the overreaction and sour grapes on the Cowboys forum when they lost to the Packers--a team that had only lost 3 games during the regular season--but now heads must roll. Some Packers fans apparently don't realize how spoiled we are to have winning teams every year. Some of us sound an awful lot like Browns fans, but Browns fans would kill to have the Packers' level of success for their team.

I think it is good for all sports fans to evaluate how much of their happiness is tied to their team's success. If you can only be happy when your team wins, then anything short of a superbowl will lead to unhappiness, and you will miss so much of the delight that can be had by getting to watch your favorite players play, or even (*gasp*) enjoying the success of players on other teams.

Anyway, I'll put away my soapbox now. I'm just hoping to bring some perspective since it seems like this forum is so often a downright depressing place to visit, yet we have so much to be thankful for.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (16h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (18h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (21h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (22h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.