wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. – The Green Bay Packers’ oldest cornerback is 24 years old. In fact, they’re all 24 years old; And none of them has more than two …

Continue Reading @ Rob Demovsky 

Rob Demovsky wrote:

If this off season doesn't beg for Teddy to dip into the FA waters nothing does.

Comments by Mikey-

I think when you look at the young men that you just referred to, they did a lot of good things in their first year,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said shortly after the season. “We have a long history here in the last 11 years of first-year players making a big jump in their second year, so you have to factor that into those types of decisions.

There have been as many or more players that Mike has complained about who DIDN'T make that big step up. There are no guarantees. Other than wishing and hoping things some how magically turn out all right what is your plan Coach?

Obviously Gunter gave us the most consistent play in his time, and he deserves a lot of credit for that

And just as obvious was that Gunter was woefully over matched when he had to face true #1 WRs. Even when he had help over the top. Perhaps he will get better next year. But where is it in writing? Just because this is the Green Bay Packers doesn't mean everything is going to automatically turn out right.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
You're right. If there ever was a time to go out and get a Woodson, this is the time. Aaron is aging, the cupboard is bare at CB or at least full of inferior product. No Shields who was our one true good CB. The whole league can see we're so weak at CB.

If Ted is Ted he'll just draft a 1st round CB, add a late round pick and a few UDFA's and call it a day. If he does what needs to be done, he will actually find us someone who is good right now who can help us right away. There was talk Ted wanted Revis a few years back after we let Tramon go. However, of course, he didn't get it done. He made his lowball offer that was very unlikely to be accepted to say that he tried. Hearing the Packers speak that we just need to give Randall and Rollins time is incredibly dangerous and foolish. If we let Hayward go because of his availability issues, what exactly do we have with Randall and Rollins? Both are constantly banged up and performing poorly. We can't count on oft injured underperformers. Hope is great. A solution is much better.

A defensive reach in Round 1 will be crippling to this franchise, if we simply choose to stay out of FA. We're already paying the price for drafts that don't have enough impact players. We paid last year for Rollins and Randall not developing at all.

I had high hopes for Rollins but not so much for Randall considering he was a S trying to play CB at the NFL level. That is a rare thing and it doesn't work that's why it's rare. Randall may never ever get his confidence back after the torching he took all last year. Letting guys put up huge games vs. him that didn't do much vs. anyone else can't be good for how he thinks of himself.

Gunter is NOT a solution of any kind other than a bad one. I was hopeful for him after some preseason success but when the lights came on for real he was a shadow of what was hoped for.

Our CB situation is scary bad right now. Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Hawkins and Herb Waters? That reads like a UDFA list you'd bring to TC in hopes you might find a 5th CB. We have guys like Goodson and Dorleant on IR. Honestly, call me critical but our DB's are incredibly bad. We will see what our GM does to "fix" this. Everyone should be incredibly focused on this position to see what comes out over the next few months. Status quo is not going to cut it this year.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
7 years ago
I'm still cautiously optimistic Rollins and Randall's drop off was due to what happened to Adams in '15.

That said, I agree we're still woefully thin and inexperienced to the point that drafting alone won't fix this.
TheKanataThrilla
7 years ago
I think we have to use the money we would of spent on Sam on a FA CB. That being said this draft is supposed to be deep at the CB position. I do think we should draft at least 1 CB. It would be nice if we can find a guy who could also be on the KR if we don't resign Hyde.
7 years ago

I think we have to use the money we would of spent on Sam on a FA CB. That being said this draft is supposed to be deep at the CB position. I do think we should draft at least 1 CB. It would be nice if we can find a guy who could also be on the KR if we don't resign Hyde.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I would LOVE if we drafted a high upside guy with some speed an athleticism at the end of the 1st or 2nd at DB along with bringing in some sort of veteran presence. That puts the other guys on notice and I think will lead to a better overall product.

I don't think Rollins and Randall are busts yet by any means. But they gotta show up next year as at least solid Nickel/Dime Players or they'll be on their way out.
nerdmann
7 years ago

I would LOVE if we drafted a high upside guy with some speed an athleticism at the end of the 1st or 2nd at DB along with bringing in some sort of veteran presence. That puts the other guys on notice and I think will lead to a better overall product.

I don't think Rollins and Randall are busts yet by any means. But they gotta show up next year as at least solid Nickel/Dime Players or they'll be on their way out.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

WE need a shut down guy, but we also need an edge rusher.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
With losing/cutting Sam, now is the perfect time to go after a CB, but not as a rental, go after somebody as your future. I would have no problem giving some 26-27 year old CB 11-12 million a year to come in and be our #1 for the next 4 years.

Let Randall and Rollins fight and earn their spots.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (11h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (14h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (16h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (17h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.