wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Whenever I watch a game I get too caught up watching the ball or qb. Just how often does CM III get doubled these days? If it is nearly every play then they have to swallow the $15 mil pill and move on. If he is rarely doubled then redo his contact or let him go. Twins had a nice scenario but I expect his agent will ask for a min of 2 extra years. Probably 3.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
7 years ago
Btw there is a self serving reason for Clay to resist moving to MLB. Money. As most of you know OLBers make a boat load of money.

Before any new contracts are completed, Clay is # 3 for OLB and # 1 by far at ILB. The 10th highest ILB makes $5.5 you would be down around 30th for OLB. Spotrac.com.

UserPostedImage
musccy
7 years ago

Btw there is a self serving reason for Clay to resist moving to MLB. Money. As most of you know OLBers make a boat load of money.

Before any new contracts are completed, Clay is # 3 for OLB and # 1 by far at ILB. The 10th highest ILB makes $5.5 you would be down around 30th for OLB. Spotrac.com.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

His next contract will be signed when he's 32 and he won't play a snap on it 'til he's 33. I doubt the position will be the limiting factor for his contract.
PackFanWithTwins
7 years ago
I don't ever remember clay being doubled all the time. He has always gotten chipped by TE or RBs. He has always been a speed and tenacity rusher, not power. a good chip, stopping his momentum and TEs can block him. His specialty was getting around the edge or chasing a broken play.

A two year extension would be OK also, that would just split up the money over more years. Little bigger risk of dead money but not too bad.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
7 years ago
He was GREAT during the 2010 SB season. Kind of "so-so" since then. To me, more like AJ Hawk then a big time player.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
7 years ago

I am not sure whether stats will call this bullshit, but I did certainly notice from the eye test that with Clay out of the lineup that Perry was not as effective. I am concerned whether a big payday for Nick backfires if Clay is moved or cut.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

His most productive game came without Clay but either way I don't get this. It's not like if Matthews isn't there then nobody is blocking Perry. Perry to be productive still has to beat the guy across from him and get to the QB or shed his block and make a tackle on the RB. The only guy on our team getting doubled with any consistency is Daniels. I don't know why people even assume Clay is getting doubled much. Just watch him get shut down play after play by average LTs, why on earth would any offense be overly worried about him? If anything Clay benefitted from Perry this year. On like 2 or 3 of his sacks the QB was running away from pressure applied by Perry before Clay got him. Clay is missing explosiveness he had at the beginning of his career and he's been missing it for some time now. He wasn't sacrificing for the team going to ILB in 2014 he was just so mediocre off the edge that they were getting the most out of him and it happened to line up nicely with the teams needs.

He should be ILB permanently but he's not worth nearly 12 million there so if he won't restructure then to me he's an easy cut. Think about it this way, if he was a FA how would you feel if Ted signed him to a 12 million dollar deal? Id think that's completely insane.
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I agree with you, Steve. It is insane. If Ted gave the money to Peppers this year I don't see how he won't give it to Clay next season. I thought keeping Peppers at his price was insane this year but we did it. All that money for those two? Crazy.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
7 years ago
When you look at what other players are getting, Clay is a bargain. Unless Clay has an undisclosed injury; he won’t be cut or even approached for a pay cut. But, an extension as brilliantly suggested by capologist PackFanWithTwins is a possibility.

Here’s what you’d have to pay for Clay’s replacement:

Unproven newby option:
In 2015, 2 years ago McPhee signed with Bears for 5 years x 7.75M. In 2013 and 14 he didn’t start a game. He played 28% of snaps in ’13 with 2 sacks and 48% of snaps in ’14 with 7.5 sacks. The cap is 18% higher than when McPhee got his contract, that would adjust McPhee’s contract to about 9.1M. So a risky just about totally unproven newby that played about half the snaps and flashed 7.5 snaps will cost about 9M x 5 in 2017. I’d rather have Clay for 11M x 2 years.

Here’s the top paid OLBs by avg salary and what that same contract would look like if signed in 2017:

Miller 19M per 2016 (21M per adjusted to 2017 cap dollars)

Houston 17M per 2015 (20M per adjusted)

Clay 13.2 M per

Jamie Collins 12.5M per 2017

Kerrigan 11.5M per 2015 (15M per adjusted for 2017 cap and extension)

David 10.05M per 2015 (15M per adjusted for 2017 cap and extension)

Irvin 9.25M per 2016 (10.2M per adjusted)

Jerry Hughes 9M per 2015 (10.6M adjusted)

Of all these guys, other than maybe Kerrigan at 15M, Id rather have Clay at 11M x 2. Plus, heading into new season it’s our weakest position. He played with an AC joint last year, that is TJ Lang-like toughness. And if Clay is healthy he can be as dominant as anyone on this list.
steveishere
7 years ago
If Clay Matthews is healthy? lol. He'll never stay healthy and when he gets banged up he goes into witness protection. Ever since those hammys started giving out he's been getting his butt kicked off the edge on a majority of his snaps and throwing in a splash play here and there. He hasn't been a consistent threat off the edge in years unless he's facing TJ Clemmings, expecting him to get back to being a high level pass rusher now is unlikely. The only way to justify paying him his contract is by moving him to ILB and he's still overpaid there.
millertime
7 years ago
Who would replace him? We need more talent on defense, not less.

We need to suck it up and pay him because we have no other options.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (8h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (8h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (8h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (9h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.